AMCA Judging, Running Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Judging, Running Condition

Happy Holidays fellow members. All the best to you and your families over the Holidays and in 2012! Just one thought on our current judging system. This thought is not at all intended to point fingers or criticize our system or any one that is a part of it. I actually judge quite a bit so just meant as a thought. Also I don't intend to stir up any of the controversies of the past. We are where we are.

As you all know we have a requirement that machines need to be "Seen Ran" before they can be judged. To my knowledge, there is no exception to this rule and if there is I apologize for this post. The question is whether there should be an exception from a preservation and encouragement perspective for original non-restored machines. For example, there are well over 100 American motorcycle manufacturers pre-1916. As a collector of these machines, I can tell you there is virtually no parts made other than for the leading brands- Henderson, Indian, Harley etc. and other than one off refabrications that generally are very expensive as custom tools and dies are needed. Moreover, after the refabrication you still end up with a part that was not original to the machine. With the judging requirement of "running", the reality is many "untouched original machines" never make it to the judging floor. Moreover, the "running" requirement, from a pure judging perspective, actually encourages that otherwise untouched original examples are monkeyed with to put them in running condition. Is that really promoting preservation? New head gaskets, disturbing patina to clean carbs that have sat for over 100 years, removing and soldering tanks, refabricating parts, adding new mag wires and in many instances adding new tires so bikes can be "started" without sitting on an otherwise bare rim, etc. etc.? I know of course people can just display non running original machines and not elect to have them judged under the current rules. But I'm not sure that is what the AMCA is all about from a learning, education and preservation perspective and I do think the rule may actually discourage some fellow members from bringing these machines out because they can't be judged.

I can also see the counter argument well hey if its original and running the owners of the running machine "worked harder" to put it in running order or maybe even the "running original machine" is a "better example". I think the answer here would simply be applying a deduct for non-running original machines; not outright ineligibility for judging. But let's remember, there are risks associated with putting some of the early machines in running order- like winding the spring for the last time on that antique toy.

Maybe a system that allowed for non-running original machines that otherwise are consistent with the judging standards should be adopted, with potentially a deduct for "non-running." The exception might even relate to certain years- say pre- 1916, where parts availiability is challenged and rarity is an issue.

The overall goal of such changes would be to better faciliatate one of the AMCA's stated goals- preservation, while at the same time promoting the enjoyment and learning associated with displaying and judging these original machines. Again all the best to you and your families over the Holidays and in 2012. Anthony.

Interesting. Point taken, Anthony. But if it's not seen running, the judges might as well be looking at a 1912 Whatchamacallit with empty engine cases and bondo-city. And you know, if that was allowed, that's what the irresponsible would soon be creating. "Barn door: OPEN!"

"Running" is part of the definition of "restored," and "original condition," too. Consider the noise it makes to be a feature of its character; a characteristic, if you will. If it's static because the carburetor is full of grit and the bottom is rusted out of the fuel tank and it hasn't been started in eighty years, it might as well be sitting on display on the floor of a museum. But it's not the kind of "preservation" the club strives for.

Anyone who undertakes the preservation of that old of a bike should be able to take it apart and put it back together without significantly altering its overall "patina." If "patina" falls off during dis-assembly, it was probably dirt. It shore wasn't shipped from the factory. And there is a difference between dirt and patina.

It gets back to just what are we doing, here? Are we trying to leave a legacy to our descendents of examples of the earliest decades of internal-combustion two-wheeled transportation? So that somewhere down the road, people who drive up in their whizzbang, hydrogen-electric, floating electro-magnetic cushion vehicles, interested in just how those quaint gasoline powered bicycles developed, can have reliable examples to study? Or, do we just leave them worn out, dirt-encrusted shells of their former glory to ponder over? There's a line to be drawn somewhere. I guess I like it where it is.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Anthony,
      You raise an important issue that I think should be considered by the AMCA Judging Committee. This Committee is set up to review current judging rules and issues like those contained in your post. I will refer this matter to the Committee and if it so decides, the Committee can make recommendations to the Board. In the meantime, thoughts and comments by others would be helpful and instructive. Thanks for taking the time to call this matter to the Board and Judging Committee's attention.
      Richard Spagnolli
      Richard Spagnolli
      AMCA #6153

Comment

I think besides running, everything should work. The light, horn, etc.

Comment

i personally think the club should try to do something to get these older machines out to the meet before the committee changes criteria on judging. we are closing in on alot more machines attaining the 100 year award, runningor not, complete or not we need them out in the public veiw hopefully to encourage others to bring theirs out for veiwing

my machine of choice is pre 1920 and I remember back in the late 80's when I joined the vast amount of these machines that not only ran around the event field, sat out for public veiwing and then judging on sunday

just my 1.82 cents - ( due to canadian/us exchange rate )

aka HAWG
          1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
          1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
          1940 indian chief military
          1965 sportster xlch
          1969 sportster xlch bobber
          1971 bsa A65 chopper
          1969 harley ss350 sprint
          1960 harley topper
          1963 harley topper
          H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
          H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
          1949 harley model 125 bobber project
          1959 harley model 165
          1960 harley super 10
          1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
          EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Thank you Richard.

Comment

If you read the old magazines it was required that the bikes go on a 5 mile ride Sunday morning before the judging started. A practice I would do but I'm sure a lot of people would have problems with, but I think it would be the RESTORED bikes not the ORIGINAL ones that would protest. I might be weird but I require all my bikes to be runners and I like all the accessory's the be functional as well. Isn't that what it's all about? Riding them not displaying them in the living room.
              Louie
              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I went on the Cannonball two years ago hauling Michael Lichter as the photo journalist and witnessed first hand the trials and tribulations of getting and keeping these ancient bikes running. They are very simple to work on and can be coaxed to life readily without too much effort. These bikes that want to enter the judging field just have to start up not run across the country and having built distressed bikes in the past, I have found it is very easy to clean up something on the inside and leave the patina on the outside. A little general maintenance can go a long way, plus there is always the option of the Display Only category.
                Carl
                http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

there is not an antique motor vechicle club in the world that does not require the motor to run.
                  what people must remember is that we allow for "wear items" to be replaced on original motorcycles, so if it needs tires or plug wires there is no point deduction.
                  I would love to see all bikes entered for judging(except early competition bikes without brakes or clutches) be required to make a parade lap, before judging starts(but what do I know).
                  Kevin Valentine 13
                  EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Hey Kevin: Happy Holidays to you and yours. I'll tell you something you do know. The judging committee has run this issue up and down the flag pole so many times we wore the paint off the dang thing.

Steve
                    Steve Dawdy

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
                      I think besides running, everything should work. The light, horn, etc.
                      There should be a way, for example first time it is judged, it is started, inspected for function of horn, etc, and from that point on the machine is noted, or certified as "passed inspection" or "does run" for future judging, without the requirement for second start up. This may help resolve the issue for those that want to keep their bikes in "dry storage". Just my thoughts Shelby

Comment

I think our club should do anything to encourage people to bring bikes for display; regardless of condition. As for judging, that is a different criteria and a motorcycle should run. If you're just after a trophy; maybe you have the wrong attitude.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

How about a class for the pre 20's bikes .Like none running orig. running orig. I' am sure the club can afford a couple more trophys.We need to get the older machines to the meets. MERRY CHRISTMAS

Comment

Originally posted by diesel55 View Post
                            How about a class for the pre 20's bikes .Like none running orig. running orig. I' am sure the club can afford a couple more trophys.We need to get the older machines to the meets. MERRY CHRISTMAS
                            Hell yeah, 'cos after all,..

Its all about the trophys, ain't it?

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Just another opinion here.... I think to be judged, a bike should run. If it doesn't chug to life, it's basically an ornament. It could be the absolutely best example of an original paint machine with all the bells and whistles but if it don't fire, it's a static display. If the true pre-20 antiques show up, running or not, they will indeed get attention. The idea of a trophy to lure more pioneer machines to the meets is lost on me. The recognition from all the admirers should be sufficient. I believe a lot of early bikes are locked away in private collections and will not see the light of day until for whatever reason, the collection disperses. I can't really imagine that there are many folks that are sitting around waiting for some sort of prize to bring that old bike out. But, I suppose I could be wrong.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X