Classic Harley Scam on Ebay Exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Harley Scam on Ebay Exposed

Too many scams on ebay these days. Congrats to Mobtowncycle for exposing this one for "Genuine" classic Harley fire extinguishers. http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2011...shers-on-ebay/
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

I just saw one of those at a swap meet and the guy was asking two bills for it. No thanks..
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

thanks buzz
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

Thanks buzz. I was watching these and intuitive that it was a scam. The funny thing is I never followed to see just how cheap the vintage prestolite units themselves were. I remember sending email to the seller at one point because I frankly got tired of seeing them and it was obvious to me they were relabels/refinish or something. I asked him why he thought I should believe this was an original HD unit. He never answered and I lost interest. You followed through. Thanks.
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

I bought one of those a few years ago, but paid pretty short $ for it from the eBay seller. They have been getting progressively more expensive over time. I think I paid $35. When I got it, I called BS and said I didn't think it was old or genuine and wanted to return it. He sent me several VERY nasty e-mails and, as I recall, posted negative feedback on me. That was back when sellers could still post negative on buyers... I still have the POS fire extinguisher.

Anyway, glad someone has exposed these charlatans. Their stuff is crap.

BTW, anyone want a Harley Fire Extinguisher? I have one cheap....

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

This is what the presto extinguisher as sold by H-d looked like. A normal chrome one with a presto tag, not that phony patent tag lookalike!
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Nice. Was it not the chrome plating and the brackets that made them Harley/MC specific? I. E. it was just the standard/labeled presto unit with chrome plating and special brackets made specifically for frame mounting? My 1964 on accessory catalogs only show chrome versions. There's also a police version (apparently) in the 58-68 parts manual that actually looks/mounts different from the ones in the accessory catalogs.
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

Buzz,
                I guess you have forgotten that I discussed this issue on your board long ago.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Actually guys I did NOT do all the homework or even write this up. I did repost it in a few places at the author's suggestion.
                  Buzz Kanter
                  Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                  [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                  [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Working...
                  X