How to identify oem bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to identify oem bars

I was doing some searching and how can i easily identify a set of Oem Hollywood Handlebars Vs a Replica set?

There were aftermarket companies selling Hollywood style handlebars on an exchange basis before H-D offered them. They would take genuine H-D bars and add the Hollywood bar to them.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I just picked up a set and was told they had owned em for 15 or so years and there oem , but want to be sure before i offer them for sale , is there any way to tell oem bars from aftermarket ones or just put em up on **** with a guess??

Comment

The first thing I would look at is to see that the bars have been brazed together and not welded. Tom Faber would be the one who could give you more detailed info. Can you post a photo of what you have?
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Where the hollywood handle bars ever offered from the factory? Or where they bars sent in to custom company.thank you

Comment

yes, I've had some nos Hollywood bars with the Factory tag still on them.
            Dave

Comment

It is hard to tell someone else what they have with out seeing it.

The first thing I look for is to eliminate the possibility that it is an import bar. Once you determine it isn't that, it may be worth something. The dead giveaway on an import bar is the collar that your spiral stops against. They are about a 1/2" wide compared to the original, which is 5/16" wide.

Beyond that, there were, as Chris said, other companies that modified bars into hollywoods back in the day. plus 30 odd years ago there were David Sarafans bars, and then there are mine that are out there too. There are ways to tell the differences if you can study them long enough, but not usually from a picture can you tell.
              Last edited by fabercycle; 12-14-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X