Purchase and exchange of money for title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase and exchange of money for title

I am interested in purchasing a bike in the US and bringing it to Canada. The process will involve finding the bike, making a deal, exchange of $ and the title.

My question is does anyone have a suggestion how to make this exchange if I am not present for the transaction? Is there perhaps a group or the banking system or even perhaps a dealership? thoughts?

I know there maybe a simple answer to just be present, however I am wondering what options might be available if I chose to do this.

-=Bob=-
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Dealerships can be good avenues for this... or hire a local attorney to handle the escrow. It isn't expensive for a couple of hours of their time.

That said... my number one rule is not to buy stuff sight unseen. You are making a many-thousands-of-dollars decision. It is worth a plane ticket, a drive, a road trip... or having an AMCA member (or friend or member of another club, etc.) handle the look-see for you in another city. There are also reputable individuals who, for a per-diem and travel expenses will go anywhere to look at a machine for you and provide a written report.

Even a 'trusted' dealer with a great Web site and lots of fancy sales pitches is no guarantee that you don't get stuck with a junker. The ONLY two times I broke this rule, I got burned. A Panhead and a Model T Ford, the latter from a 'trusted' seller with a giant old car dealership in St. Louis. Car was a POS. Both times my 'emotion' beat my logic and I 'had' to have that vehicle. Both times I overpaid. Both times I got mechanical disasters that photographed well. Both now rectified after I spent a lot of time, $ and skinned knuckles on them and I am happy with the end result. But I could have done a lot better.

Just my $0.02... but I see a LOT of cars come into our shop needing major work that owners bought by remote control.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

all depends on value and canadian customs. i would think almost any bike you would want is in canada already. any large shipping company should be able to broker the deal for you. with it being a motorcycle i don't think you can hide from the duties on it. when you go to title it. your dmv will say where id you get this from? your best reply will come from cory after he shovels the six feet of snow from his drive way.he can give you the canadian side of the answer
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I just bought a 1977 sportster from new york state - the legal way

you must "apply" to export the vehicle at least 72 hours in advance of bringing the vehicle into canada. NOT all boarder crossings now have an export office.

the office is only open 8am till 4pm - busy days are monday morning

you need ownership/title, sales receipts of said vehicle and passport(s) of all persons in the transport vehicle

you must have vehicle at customs at time of export
        they delete vehicle from dot computers then personally verify said vehicle is said vehicle ( vin tag ) and then send you on your way all this took about 1/2 hour to complete ( I was third in line )

I found all this and more at registrar of imported vehicles - us customs ( a website )

in canada I had to fill out a vehicle import form - form 1 and pay taxes - something like $50.00 on $1000.00. this took about 10 mins and then had to go onto our customs - they took about 20 mins doing what ever checking they do ( this is when duty(s) are applied ) and fortunatly let me travel on my way DUTY FREE

the illegal way is just go buy it bring it back to canada. report to our customs. you will pay taxes/ duties and be on your way - no biggy right our ministy of transport does not care where it comes from- BUT if the vehicle ever does return to the states it could be confiscated on the spot because it was not exported for the states

now my 1300.00 sportster cost me 2 tanks of gas ( had to go see it ) and then had to return a week later to pick it up. and motel room for the night so I could be sure I made customs before 4pm ( each trip from home to bike to boarder was about 6 1/2 hours )
        I found out about the legal export thing while crossing the first time with an empty bike trailer

aka hawg
        Last edited by aka HAWG; 12-11-2011, 08:44 AM.
        1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
        1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
        1940 indian chief military
        1965 sportster xlch
        1969 sportster xlch bobber
        1971 bsa A65 chopper
        1969 harley ss350 sprint
        1960 harley topper
        1963 harley topper
        H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
        H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
        1949 harley model 125 bobber project
        1959 harley model 165
        1960 harley super 10
        1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
        EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

As a side note, I bought my EL 46 in Canada.

And the seller would only accept US Cash. No problem. But had to declare the cash heading into Canada. It took about 5 minutes, they didn't even want to see inside the bank pouch. All I needed to do was fill out the form, declare the amount and go on my way. There is no fee for doing so.

Bringing a vintage bike (made in USA) back into the country was very simple. They did a VIN verification. We filled out import paperwork. The bike had left the USA decades before (I had a 1940's Canadian bill of sale and old registrations, etc... that may have helped. But I don't think they cared. It was made in USA and you can bring goods that were made in USA back w. no issues.

Of course, they did suggest that they had to keep it at the border for a few weeks so they could ride it and make sure that it was all in good shape. At least one of the guys at the US Customs had a Harley... and he really lusted after the Knuck.

The best advice from border crossings, per HAWG above... do research in advance and be honest. Everything is easy with paperwork. Trying to move cash or bikes, etc. w. out telling the truth about it can go very badly for you.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

O.K. Rob... how did you know it was snowing at my place? There isn't six feet yet but it's working on it...

Bob, you've already had some good advice. I don't believe I have much to add but I would also check with your insurance office to see what they require for registration purposes.

Here is a site to look at. It's government paperwork so so it's kinda lengthy... http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/d...9-12-1-eng.pdf
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Hi guys, thanks all for the responses, I think we got a bit of track, I am absolutely going to declare it and already have purchased "lesser" value bikes from the US before, and am all about being "legal" and not nickle and dime-ing my way. I have a really good site to view for anything newer than 15 years www.RIV.ca but for older, things don't apply.

My real question is around exchanging the $ for the title if I was not there, is there a service like a notary or someone that can be trusted to do this if a buyer was absent. I think Sirhr gave me a good suggestion to talk to perhaps a dealership or a lawyer.

I really appreciate the site and the group here, so much to learn for a new member like me, thanks again.
              Bob Beatty
              AMCA 19209

Comment

Bob, Here in Manitoba if there is no previous title a bill of sale with all the sellers info on it will do. You sign a form saying everything on the bill of sale is accurate. Register a vintage plate (no safety required) then they will give you a plate and a new registration and voila you have a legal Canadian title. Be 100% honest throughout the whole process and you're good to go. Oh yea, don't forget we pay PST and GST if from the states or a dealer and only PST if local from a non dealer.
                Ross

Comment

Working...
                X