The AMCA is Splintering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AMCA is Splintering

I received a PM from an acquaintance today, who wanted some more information on the can of worms we've been discussing:

Just wondering what you feel is a problem with the AMCA, I joined but to be honest have not really paided attention to any politics of the group been to busy for the last two years with work and such.

Basically, Bro, I think a lot of it is "TOO MUCH MONEY CHASING TOO FEW DECENT OLD MOTORCYCLES LEFT IN CIRCULATION."

A big problem is that we have too many people these days who want an old Knucklehead Harley. And, also, too many people willing to bolt together any old combination of parts, be they new, old OEM or repop, and call it a "restoration." By gawd, there's some real junk being built that isn't even a good simulation of a Knucklehead, just for one category, but the sellers put outrageous prices on the junk, and there is, simultaneously, too much money chasing after these "pseudo-restorations," so the scammers get most of what they ask. The clueless with 2much$$$ get it, too, in the end, if you know what I mean.

I find that the AMCA seems to be in the throes of being taken over more-and-more by people trying to make a living off what used to be a hobby. "Professionals" are one thing, serving to help the restoration process, but, overall, too many people chasing fewer and fewer legitimate objects, is a root cause of "inflation."

I explained that I go back to when no one was trying to make so much as a buck off the old parts, just trying to build one or two bikes, and all helped each other to accomplish that without a thought to profit. That's the only way it's "fun." People who set out to MAKE THEIR LIVING buying low and selling high; parts and whole bikes, have ruined what was for decades a genial, amicable, single-purpose club.

Some bikes have been so bastardized that they are almost beyond recognition, and are still called "restored" by their sellers! New, clueless people with some money who are looking at "antique motorcycles" for a hedge think they're "investing" in an appreciating collectible, but what they find out eventually is that all they got was a bunch of unrelated parts not worth near what they paid for the pseudo "restoration," and they justifiably feel ripped off.

But many of these still desperately try to recoup their investment and pass off the POS bike they bought to another unsuspecting rube before washing their hands of the whole distasteful "investment," by continuing to claim a value for the thing that they flat know by that time is a LIE.

Trying to make our hobby an "industry," and feeding families from the proceeds by too many inexpert people had ruined the whole pleasant experience for many others. Too much money is wasted, by people with too little real knowledge of what they're doing, in the desperate pursuit of fewer and fewer top-drawer antique motorcycles.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Sarge, I hear what you are saying and I believe there is some truth in what you say. I don't agree with all of it though. I don't see where the problems you have pointed out are really the AMCA's fault. That's just the way things progress. Not much different than the government good ole US of A. Started out to be a much better idea than it has turned out. Too many personal agendas taking the whole thing down a different path than originally planned. Back to the National AMCA though, I still think the core is solid and I am still proud to say I am a member. A lot of the BS people have been upset with lately are matters that are chapter related and cannot be blamed on the national board. ( Talking about the Eustice and Davenport meet situations here.) I think the national board has been doing a good job in dealing with a lot of unpleasant situations. Please remember that they are just volunteers and could use an attaboy once in a while. I still enjoy a lot of what they work hard to provide for the members. Things are not as bad as a lot of the pessimists are making them out to be. Just last year I enjoyed a great magazine, 4 national meets, and a national roadrun. A lot of good entertainment that were made possible by the AMCA. Thanks!! John Lindemann

Comment

Originally posted by jwl View Post
      Things are not as bad as a lot of the pessimists are making them out to be. Just last year I enjoyed a great magazine, 4 national meets, and a national roadrun. A lot of good entertainment that were made possible by the AMCA. Thanks!! John Lindemann
      I agree with you John. The AMCA has given me many years of reliable service as an organization. The intangible benefits the AMCA has given me are too numerous to count. I believe the vast majority of members are happy with the club.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

i believe that too many blowhards that like to complain have ruined the AMCA forum, which gives the illusion to some that the whole of the club is screwed up, when actually its only a small minority.
        www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

[QUOTE=jurassic;115407]i believe that too many blowhards that like to complain have ruined the AMCA forum, which gives the illusion to some that the whole of the club is screwed up, when actually its only a small minority.

I agree with Sarge's (er) soft-spoken analysis, while recognizing that some in the minority will pitifully wail about this. The wise ones seem to know that it all evolves continually, and you can't fight it. It's a reality.

Comment

Is it to soon to start the count down for Oley?
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Sarge, I believe you are correct with the notion that Knuckleheads are likely the most sought after machine in the old bike world. That in itself drives up prices and motivates people to try to capitalize on the situation and so they are tempted to falsely advertise "correct" and "original" machines that are clearly not, in order to profit from the craze. Some less educated folks may be just re-describing what they have been told. I don't really see where this has much of a connection to the AMCA. The only relation I can possibly fathom is the increased effort to draw more members and a club that has gotten large enough that a lot more folks have a little more knowledge and an appreciation for the "Holy Grail" of Harleys. If your problem is with censorship I find it hard to disagree with the curtailing of posting "non-club" events that are competing with "club" events on a "club" website. There are many other forums to spread the word on and many of the folks that frequent this forum are members of the other sites, so the word would get out regardless. This public club bashing on more than one site on the internet is just another deterrent to folks who might have thought about participating here. It has also really affected the participation on the AMCA forum in general and those that are dedicated are left with a less than active board. The periodic "political" upheavals that show up rather routinely as of late, can't help the image of a club going through growing pains. I don't have time nor energy to bring up every example but most of us know what they are. I think at this point in the game that the National seems to be funtioning smoothly (that is at least from my perspective). I also believe that the "core" of this club is as solid as it ever was, albeit a bigger core. I think for the most part we are all in it for basically the same reasons. For those that aren't, then they will likely never truly "get" it. A true enthusiast will know what I mean. I won't ramble on and on but I will say that I consider myself a proud and happy member of the AMCA regardless of the b.s. that surfaces.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by jwl View Post
                Sarge, I hear what you are saying and I believe there is some truth in what you say. I don't agree with all of it though. I don't see where the problems you have pointed out are really the AMCA's fault. That's just the way things progress. Not much different than the government good ole US of A. Started out to be a much better idea than it has turned out... Thanks!! John Lindemann
                John, a very astute perception. I'm not trying to lay blame for the "splintering," but observing and trying to analyze it, before it's too late.

A LOT of mistakes were made, but the National Board can't control how many people have suddenly seen, "ooh! Antique Motorcycles!" as their next field of interest, and some, as their next profit generator. The club founders just set out in 1954 to preserve the history of the first five decades of two-wheeled motor transportation before it was all consigned to the scrap heap as "junk."

Perhaps they had the right idea, just awarding simple blue ribbons for participation, at informal gatherings called "meets," and later "Best Restored" and "Brought Longest Distance" trophies, more to honor the owners for their efforts, than trying to document and verify every last niggling detail; like which washer was cad-plated and which one was parkerized originally. That whole recent agenda has raised more dust and hurt more feelings within the club than any other conflict, I think you'll agree.

The other point I made was that too much money is now chasing too little merchandise, the classic definition of "economic inflation." It has created a premium market for the genuinely awesome, museum-quality restorations. The drag on that has been the rise of "second-tier" so-called restorations.

Those are the bikes built by-and-for the clueless among us. Often, the builders and owners genuinely don't care if that gas tank emblem matches the exact year and model of that taillight lens. But conflicts arise again when Mr. Clueless is criticized for trying to re-sell that pile of mismatched parts for the asking price he paid for it, often unaware of what it really "wasn't." I think we're going to see a further shaking out and splintering between those two tiers of motorcycles, the truly restored and the "ten-foot" eye candy.

And then there are the runners. The owners of these bikes enjoy some things that look like restored masterpieces to the completely uninitiated in the public, and their owners enjoy having something they know that they can ride the hell out of, fix it with baling wire, or a newly-made repop part if it breaks, and run it some more, much the way most of our bikes were intended originally.

All those different categories co-existing under one roof, the club, is what I mean by "splintering" of the AMCA. Keeping all of those disparate groups happy while marching forward through time is something that was never imagined by the founders, God bless um.
                Last edited by Sargehere; 11-29-2011, 12:45 AM.
                Gerry Lyons #607
                http://www.37ul.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

I love the AMCA, the meets and the people in it. But this is a growing and changing world. The club is going to have to change with it. Some chapters are already fed up with their current way of thinking. I hope they wake up, smell the coffee and put the club on the right track.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I used to get all hacked off about the talking heads, and how they were blowing club money on stuff that I will never see. I also have been critical of two past presidents for their egotisical attitudes. I have now come to the conclusion that there isn't much sense worrying about what I can't control or change. I am thankful that someone else is willing to organize meets, work on the club magazine, etc, even if I don't agree with how it's being done.

When it really gets down to it, the $30 membership fees are a bargain for the four wonderful publications per year, I can go to meets, and network with folks with similar interests.

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                      When it really gets down to it, the $30 membership fees are a bargain for the four wonderful publications per year, I can go to meets, and network with folks with similar interests.
                      Agreed.....
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Splinter

Can I have an AMEN brothers and sisters. "This to shall pass" and " all's well that end's well". These last few posted comments are the most sane comment's on a subjet that has been riddled with rash comments over the last year or so about the condition of this wonderful club of ours. Member since 1982 and have seen most of the problems first hand. I think the worst is behind us and we are in a state of recovery. "Time heals all wounds" if we let it. Let's go find some part's, make some friends, and ride the hell out of our old 'sickles'. Doc
                        DrSprocket

Comment

Cory's letter summed it up for me so there's not much I could add. It's very encouraging to read so many positive letters about the AMCA for a change. It really makes me proud to be a member of this club.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

I've been a member of the AMCA since 1977. I've seen it grow and change a lot over the years. Because I don't get involved actively with the club, I've only experienced pure enjoyment. The great magazine and the fun I get from the meets is well worth the $30. If I didn't read about club complaints I would never know that there are any problems. I have to say thank you to the people that do work hard to make this a great club! However I am not witnessed of the battle they do for club success. I think the internal problems arrise when you have a bunch great minded but different thinking people not always aggreeing with each other. Egos get in the way with bitterness and hurt feelings being the by-product. Some of these club active people are fustrated about what goes on. For me, I still see this as a great hobby and a great club! And despite what anyone may read or think, the club is still going strong!

Comment

Working...
                            X