Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Virtual Library - 52-59 Sporster parts book

Howdy Chaps,

Has anyone attempted to order (download) this book in our library? As a PDF, ordinarily this would be about a 30meg file for a 90 page document but is only 234kb, leading me to believe that is one page and maybe the book's cover. But even that file downloads corrupted with the error message being that it was originally emailed as an attachment.

If someone's managed to download it, would certainly appreciate a copy. Looking at a basket xlch for a friend and badly need this to sweep up all the parts amongst piles of parts belonging with earlier/later model machines.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230707208391...WNX:IT&vxp=mtr

Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Peter
      Call Bill's Custom Cycles in Bloomsburg Pa. He has nos Sportster parts books in stock they were 25-30 bucks. He had a couple of different ones from the K models up. 570 759 9613
      Jim
      Jim D

Comment

PRG (and everyone):

It appears there are just a few files that have developed problems in the move of the Virtual Library to its new location. So far, I know of this one, plus the 1944 Cushman booklet and the 1908 to 1918 Excelsior Model Parts Book.

The problem appears to be that these files are too large for the system to handle. In the case of this Sportster book, the actual file is 273 megabytes, which would take a very long time to download even if it did work.

I can see a few other incredibly large files in the system, and I suspect they would have been impossible to download from the old site as well. If you run into problems with any files, please notify here and I'll try to track them down. Please be aware this may not happen instantly, because I'm going to have to figure out how to get the files myself, then convert them to smaller formats. But if I know where the problems are, that will help.

For now, I will mark these items as Out of Stock so others don't run into the same problem.

Thanks.

Bill Wood

Comment

Howdy Chaps,

Thanks for the responses and Bill, could the larger library files not be broken into segments, let's say 40-50meg each for the more enterprising to merge into one file once downloaded if they were inclined? I've done up nearly 500 pages of Porsche factory 935 operator/parts manuals as PDF's for another forum and at 600dpi b/w, make them available in page ranges for the intrepid downloader.

My friend has come across this machine - his first pre-1970 m/c - and as neither of us know a thing about Sportsters and this one lays in a large room with the remains of many others, couldn't believe my good fortune to find that parts catalogue at our library when the condition of purchase for this machine is we get get one canvasing of inventory to assemble a pile with no subsequent trips afterward to search for misc. items.
          Cheerio,
          Peter

Comment

Peter:

I think I have the Sportster file fixed. I did some compression on it and got it down to 143 megabytes. Can you please test it and see if it downloads correctly (it does on my end)?

I agree that we may need to break up some files into smaller pieces, but I'm hoping to keep as many as possible in one download, and I think this system might wok.

Thanks, and good luck with the project.

Bill Wood

Comment

Howdy Bill,

Thanks for your efforts. The library shows out of stock but I clicked through anyway, managed to order and then went for the download to get the same prompt as before seen in screen print below. Is the new file you made named the same as previous or does the site need the link changed away from the corrupted 213kb file?

Get'n close, I can feel it now. As a Vincent is not a practical consideration for a dusty 1,000cc light weight v twin and my friend and I have watched too many Then Came Bronson youtube videos so this machine is the ticket. We just gotta sweep up the right pile of it the first time out.
              Attached Files
              Cheerio,
              Peter

Comment

Peter:

Thanks for being the guinea pig in this experiment. I have a new version uploaded that is now down to 4 mb. I tried downloading it and it seems to work, but that hasn't always meant that it works for everybody else. Can you try again?

Thanks.

Bill Wood

Comment

Well howdy MrBill!

94 pgs now paired up to only 47 and down to 4meg with this high a resolution, who da thunk it, you're the man! Works like a charm. Now to to move from the digital shopping basket to the real thing.

Thanks again.
                  Cheerio,
                  Peter

Comment

Peter:

I'm just glad it worked! This is still a bit of an experiment, but I think we're closing in on a way to deal with these big files.

Thanks for your help in diagnosing this issue.

Bill Wood

Comment

Working...
                    X