what gas to use on older engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what gas to use on older engines

hey just wondering what octane gas everyone uses on their bikes. got a harley WL wondering if low octane would be a no no. thanks

The octane your motor needs is lower than anything out there today,a lot of people wonder why their bike doesn't run right it's because of running to high an octane in motor,wasting power and money.The thing to look for is the lowest amount of alcohol in the gas and to use a good preservative for gas and some top end lube.

Comment

thanks for the info, new to these older motors. now I'm trying to get the carb adjusted. having fun though. thanks again

Comment

hey any recommendations on the gas preservative and top end lube? sorry guys newbie

Comment

I've yet to use this myself.. http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/ but have been thinking about it. I'm sure folks will chime in.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

I have rode with several using Marvel mystery oil, no problems and smells good to. I have been using just a dab of 2 stroke oil in my flat heads, makes em smoke a bit more. But I believe it works good also, been putting it in my Sport Scout for 20 plus years. I use any regular gas, have tried premiun also but could not tell a differance at all. Old timer told me about the 2 stroke oil, might not really need it. But I took it as good advise, the old guy rode Indians his whole life. Good luck with yours.

Comment

Hi, You should try either Startron,Sea Foam,Sta-Bil marine blend for gas and Blendzall "gold label" for top end.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
                Hi, You should try either Startron,Sea Foam,Sta-Bil marine blend for gas and Blendzall "gold label" for top end.
                (oops, didn't need to quote)
                Some 20 years ago I once stopped for gas a little too late, and had to pump in some 87 (the other choice was 85!). The chief ran nosier, and felt out of balance. Before I thought of the gas I thought it was going to come apart. 40 miles down the road I dumped the 87 and filled up with 92. Night and day difference. 89 isn't as notice-able, but nothing is as smooth as 92, and more.
                Also, I ran an oil filter and faithfully added marvel mystery oil to the gas, until sometime after I attached the sidecar. Fell off the discipline, and worked it hard, too. On a post-war chief it ain't worth the trouble. Try to minimize the carbon buildup above the top ring travel, or scrape it every 2500 miles (it's just knuckles and gaskets). ... maybe the older stuff needs it more.

Comment

What I like about 2 stroke oil is that it usually has a good gasoline stabilizer in it. You do not need a 50:1 mixture because your engine has better lubrication than a 2 stroke. Also, you get the stabilization benefit with a relatively small amount of the oil in your gas. If you cannot get alcohol-free gasoline, you may want to up the mixture to as a much as 50:1. For my Fiat sports car with Bosch fuel injection, I use both 2 stroke oil and Sta-Bil. With a carburetor engine, I am a bit more relaxed.
                  George Tinkham
                  Springfield, IL
                  www.virmc.com
                  AMCA # 1494
                  1941 Indian 841
                  1948 Indian Chief
                  1956 H-D KHK
                  1960 CH
                  1964 BMW R69S
                  1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                  1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

I have said it before and old timers laugh at me. I run 100 octane low lead aviation fuel in all my cycles and lawn equipment also Generators, at least 50 percent mixed with pump gas when possible. Not so much because I need octane, but it has every thing you need. And talk about smell good. If you want to go fast racing fuel can be had in several high octane but cost way more. If I can't find AV gas on a trip I will buy it. You won't need to scrape carbon or buy gaskets any more.
                    I buy aviation her at a small air port with no gate and get it any time I am in the area, either right in what I am or in container to keep at the shop.
                    If you run it all the time and you are not passing oil the in side of your pipes and combustion chamber will be grey. When I do pull my ported and polished Shovel Heads I wipe them with a rag and they look polished again.
                    You won't need sablizer any more, I do use seafoam any time I drag home an old bike that I want to start to help clean carbon out.
                    Jim Rowin

Comment

I put 10,000 miles on my 36 EL this year and have put 100,000s of miles on my knuckleheads over the past 37 years. If I can get corn free gas I use it otherwise I use the cheapest gas at the pump available. I have never had any fuel related problems because of the gas.

Bob

Comment

And then there's ethanol-free gas, some places difficult to find, but still around and this website helps to find them: pure-gas.org
                        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
                          The octane your motor needs is lower than anything out there today,a lot of people wonder why their bike doesn't run right it's because of running to high an octane in motor,wasting power and money.The thing to look for is the lowest amount of alcohol in the gas and to use a good preservative for gas and some top end lube.
                          Tom I tell people the same thing all the time. Low compression needs a faster burning (low oct.) fuel to expand and burn completely before the piston gets to the bottom. I like to mix a little leaded for top lube but not enough to raise the rating over what is needed. Don't think that is possible with a flat head.
                          When I'm riding a longer distance and can't mix with leaded I'll carry a small container of synthetic 2-stroke oil. I recomend starting @120:1 and adjust from there. Maxim 927 is a synthetic castor and smells like the origional.
                          Kerry
                          Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Every time I see people adding crap to their gas I just shake my head and wall away. A lot of that stuff works just as good if you pour it beside the bike. I have put many thousands of miles on vintage bikes and have never added anything or had any kind of failure. I admit that my experience is limited to HD's (flathead, panhead and knucklehead) but all the good parts are available to overhaul these things and not worry about additives. My bikes usually prefer premium but they run good on anything. Jerry

Comment

I've been thinking about additives but haven't acted on the thought yet. I run the cheapest gas I can get at the pump and "knock on wood" I've yet to have any problems. I hadn't thought about pouring any "beside the bike" Jerry. That's pretty darn funny!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X