Sunhine Nat'l area meets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunhine Nat'l area meets

I saw a partial thread on Eustis,mentioning change in venue and some "competing"
    V.M.C. meet chatter.I may attend and would be interested in any similar type events in the area,not Daytona type stuff.
    I cannot find V.M.C. on the web.Does this stand for Veterans mc,Vintage mc,?any help appreciated,
    Thanks
    Tom

I am not sure if it ok with webmaster to give the web site in this thread, but it is VMA not VMC, Vintage Motorcycle Alliance, I would wait for Gary to Rule on this before I went any farther. There is also a meet at Webster Florida first Sunday of every month, and of course the JamOn meet at the Daytona Flea Market runs for 10 days, at the old Spiders Swapmeet location. I have Vended with the JamOn meet for 35 years.
    Shelby

Comment

Originally posted by shelbyinparadise View Post
      I am not sure if it ok with webmaster to give the web site in this thread, but it is VMA not VMC, Vintage Motorcycle Alliance, I would wait for Gary to Rule on this before I went any farther. There is also a meet at Webster Florida first Sunday of every month, and of course the JamOn meet at the Daytona Flea Market runs for 10 days, at the old Spiders Swapmeet location. I have Vended with the JamOn meet for 35 years.
      Shelby
      Thanks Shelby you are correct as I did earlier I'm going to delete the post mentioning the group and as I know you understand the reasoning, I'll leave the thread open for a while so you, hopefully will edit your post to remove the name clarification.

Comment

WHY?

Because,
        It's the consensus with the management of the AMCA Forum that the group whose references are being deleted was created just as a protest to compete with an existing chapter and it's regularly scheduled event. As such we prefer to have our resources used in support of one of our own chapters and not those of a competing organzation.

Thanks
        Gary

Comment

Splintering

I've been a member of this club since 1972, when it was 600 people. I was just a kid, then. Now I'm retired. It was far different and, of course, much, much more informal then. I knew Doc Patt, Bob McClean, Art Sigal, Earl Chalfant, dear old Lou and Pauline Lichva, even Ernie and Betty Biddle. They're all passed on, now, and no one of their caliber has assumed their offices. It's just some kind of lumbering off-kilter machine constantly in disrepair, where, if not one wheel is falling off, it's another.

I guess I've watched it grow too big, if that's possible. Now, I watch it splintering: The Davenport Meet, the Florida Meet, Chapters all over are going their own ways. The Rheinback meet is a volunteer-fueled three or four-day carnival manned by most of the chapters in the Northeast that rakes in money mostly for the fairground where it's held. It's sad, in a way.

The very nature of our club, formed in 1954 upon the closing of the Springfield Indian factory to help people find parts for their old American motorcycles has changed. The reason is the horrendous monster of scale.

It's an inevitable result of an old fashioned club where everyone knew each other, a community that that worked, and problems were few, meeting internet-charged worldwide village of perfectly natural hoomin beans; that is, naturally selfish ones. And that old human nature, call it "capitalism," rears its ugly mug. "Oh, the humanity!"

Everything is driven by the buck, now. Even bad decisions are going to be stuck with as the worm continues to turn. We can't mention in public the name of the meet created purely as a backlash to the sudden near-sighted and ill-considered change of venue in Florida because the club might seem to be broadcasting that it exists. Don't worry, everyone knows there's going to be a competing Eustis meet on the familiar grounds in 2012, with or without mentions of it on this board.

At its peak, the old Indian factory and the Milwaukee Brickpile only produced a few thousand new motorcycles every year, and the minor manufacturers far fewer than that. Now, because over ten thousand AMCA members are chasing now-rare Original Equipment of the Manufacturers, we're hitting a wall. And the club is splintering.
          Gerry Lyons #607
          http://www.37ul.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Gerry, 3;23 AM, quoting Al Capp (hoomin beans), .. was it in the turkey or the stuffing?
            Wouldn't you say that the core is still pretty solid? I hope so, but if the Davenport meet were to morph away from what it is now, well, that's when the real gut check hits for me.
            If Eustis (or whatever we have to call it now) disappoints you, I'm sorry for your loss.
            Are you commenting because you feel it's time to get to work (on this)?

Comment

sounds like an indy ,cart kind of separation. both will end up watered down. maybe one group can use danica patrick
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

WHY?
                Because,
                It's the consensus with the management of the AMCA Forum that the group whose references are being deleted was created just as a protest to compete with an existing chapter and it's regularly scheduled event. As such we prefer to have our resources used in support of one of our own chapters and not those of a competing organzation.

Thanks
                Gary

I find it interesting that Gary Palombia would use a moniker "Web Kahuna" instead of his name when conducting official Web business. He has deleted my reply to Tom's question that started this thread. Gary did not send a "PM" to me to explain his actions. My reply included the link to the site for the Vintage Motorcycle Alliance. Where did Gary obtain information about the VMA was created "just as a protest to compete with an existing chapter and it's regularly scheduled event"? Gary I am a member of the Sunshine Chapter and one of the trustees for the Board and have not been informed that the VMA was a threat or a competitor. I would be interested to know who other than you is "the management of the AMCA forum" that has reached such a consensus?

Comment

Originally posted by WebKahuna View Post
                  Because,

Thanks
                  Gary
                  Gary,
                  What is it going to take to make the officers of that chapter and our national club realize that this "competing organzation" is our membership. They are not happy with the actions of the Sunshine Chapter. They simply do not want to attend a meet in that location. Have you seen the flyier for the meet? Take a look at the list of fleabag motels they recommend. No national chains.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by TimR View Post
                    WHY?
                    Because,

Thanks
                    Gary

I find it interesting that Gary Palombia would use a moniker "Web Kahuna" instead of his name when conducting official Web business. He has deleted my reply to Tom's question that started this thread. Gary did not send a "PM" to me to explain his actions. My reply included the link to the site for the Vintage Motorcycle Alliance. Where did Gary obtain information about the VMA was created "just as a protest to compete with an existing chapter and it's regularly scheduled event"? Gary I am a member of the Sunshine Chapter and one of the trustees for the Board and have not been informed that the VMA was a threat or a competitor. I would be interested to know who other than you is "the management of the AMCA forum" that has reached such a consensus?
                    I'm not sure why it's strange to you that I use a moniker or handle on a forum site, I've always thought that to be pretty much standard practice. If your suggesting it's for some nefarious reason your wrong. That you have my name should indicate it wasn't really hidden, and as I recall access to peoples names was a reason a few of people left the forum a while back.
                    I apologize for not paying you the respect of a PM It was an oversight on my part.

TimR I am the moderator of the board and as such, more of janitor or handyman for this forum not really a manager. The owner of the AMCA Forum is the Antique Motorcycle Club of America and I believe the management of that is the board of directors
                    You can as a matter of the forum rules report my actions to the board of directors and they would be the ones to decide if I acted improperly

Gary Palombia

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                      Gary,
                      What is it going to take to make the officers of that chapter and our national club realize that this "competing organzation" is our membership. They are not happy with the actions of the Sunshine Chapter. They simply do not want to attend a meet in that location. Have you seen the flyier for the meet? Take a look at the list of fleabag motels they recommend. No national chains.
                      Chris
                      Time most likely. I'm sure they're listening, I can't say what they're hearing.
                      Gary

Comment

He has deleted my reply to Tom's question that started this thread. Gary did not send a "PM" to me to explain his actions. My reply included the link to the site for the Vintage Motorcycle Alliance. Where did Gary obtain information about the VMA was created "just as a protest to compete with an existing chapter and it's regularly scheduled event"? Gary I am a member of the Sunshine Chapter and one of the trustees for the Board and have not been informed that the VMA was a threat or a competitor. I would be interested to know who other than you is "the management of the AMCA forum" that has reached such a consensus?
                        Hello Tim, welcome aboard a rocking boat. I have posted in all three of these Eustis threads, and I explained I am (?) a member in good standing of the Sunshine chapter, and from the very first when we found out the move to Silver Sands Arena was in the works, we tried to have some say in our future at Eustis. When Gloria and I joined the club from out of state it was a show of support from a vendor to what was an excellent venue in Florida. Was it perfect? NO but it was so good for us and we felt a part of it.

I have not heard till your post any public stand from Florida chapter members about the VMA one way or the other except in private conversations, and have been trying to explain to Gary both publicly and privately all of this was born of an internal Sunshine AMCA Club decission to move without members support or input, and all of this grew from those roots. Thank you for stepping up, but watch what you might have stepped in, CattleRancher Shelby

Comment

Although I dont use this forum often,I appreciate another members response to my question,although it seems to be a touchy subject.
                          My suggestion to the membership(owners of the forum?) and moderator would be to moderate similar to other groups,keeping out the profanity,etc,and let the forum be a free exchange among club members,without worry about censoring a conversation that may be percieved as somehow hurtfull to the AMCA.
                          Have Fun
                          Tom
                          AMCA 1716

Comment

tfburke3,

I agree with you on the censorship!

If a member here asks a question, other members should be able to answer it.
                            AMCA #10930

Comment

Howdy Rob,

Horses for courses. Ms. Patrick would be well out of her league here. Brute strength not beauty revered in this neighborhood.

Women's Cold Slaw wrestling starts next door to the new AMCA venue on Sunday at the Cabbage Patch. Some of the competitors could easily hoist a salad oil and cabbage lathered Danica overhead in each hand for an effortless pile drive.
                              Last edited by PRG; 12-01-2011, 02:44 PM.
                              Cheerio,
                              Peter
                              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
                              X