No announcement yet.

barber 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the Barber experience Rob and Lucy!!! Man those hack balancers get awful close to the pavement don't they? I see Slojo made it. Does anyone know the results of the Century Race? Oh, and those large insects are trippy!!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks for posting the great pictures!!! I was able to visit the museum about 15 years ago. It was well worth the trip. Would love to go when there is racing. Maybe next year...

Comment

2011 Race of the Century Results - Barber Vintage Weekend

Thanks to all of my crew who help me with the Race of the Century this year - We recovered wonderfully from missing all of our riders who were on the 2010 Cannonball Run last year - This year, we had 7 bikes on the Paddock, 6 started the race and 4 finished the NEW 2 lap race - Here are the results!!! See you next year!! David Lloyd

1st Place - Double - Slo Joe Gardella - 1911 Harley
        2nd Place - Twin - Gary Sandford - 1911 Indian

1st Place - Single - Dale Walksler - 1911 Indian
        2nd Place - Single - Art Farley - 1909 Excelsior -
        (Art was riding in honor of Bike Owner, Grady Ellis)

DNF -

1911 Harley Single (Belt) rider - Charlie Harless (Owner, Bill Harless)
        1911 Triumph Single (Belt) Rider - Buck Carson

DNS -

1908 M&M - Doc Batsleer
        1905 Peugeot - Barber Museum

Again, Thanks to my Tech Crew, Safety Crew and also, Buzz Kanter who was there to help document the 2011 Race
        Last edited by vldave; 10-11-2011, 08:22 AM.
        David LLoyd
        www.dswebdesign.com

Comment

"1st Place - Twin - Slo Joe Gardella - 1910 Harley"

Slight correction, A !911 Harley double was my weapon this year.

At the beginning of the race we were lined up for a standing still start.

Art ( !909 X ), Dale ( !911 Indian ) and I went into the first corner close and the earlier bike, the 09X Art was racing began to show its weakness where superior technology of the two !911s of Dale's and mine began to shine. In Dale's case shine to much as far as I was concerned. That Indian of Dale's is fast, I could not shake him at first and was not sure why. Finally after a few corners the !911 double began to show its superiority and some distance was put between the two of us. Becoming complacent to soon and from out of nowhere came Dale flying past me at speed.

I was shocked with his ability to come up with a head of steam as he did. Consequently it was time to get back to work I cracked the throttle wide open and watched Dale continue to pull distance. At this point confusion set in I thought Dale and his Indian were going to beat the double.

Then a flash of an idea, I reached down and grabbed a couple more clicks of the belt tensioner and the double lunged forward, Immediately I was gaining on Dale in a down hill run for the Horseshoe left hand corner, the equalizer.

Going into the corner it was Dale at the lead, he chose a line just a little wide allowing me the inside. I dove under Dale and passed him from the apex and out of the corner into the lead. At this point I decide to beat Dale I must stay focused and ride the wheels off the little 49" twin.

Much like the !914 Gray Ghost these early Harley's do handle well and I was able to run the corners at speed, one look at the tires (with 55 pounds of air) will convince you of that, they are worn beyond the buttons of the tread.

The rest of the race was very fun I did not need to keep looking over my shoulder, just keep the speed up and the lean angles down to a point where motorcycling's greatest pleasures comes from.

The Barber race park and museum are a do not miss venue. My suggestion, if you have not been there yet make plans for next year and bring a 1912 something ! Mr. Barber has built a first class facility with our comfort, safety and entertainment his primary concern.

Joe

Comment

Century Race

Thanks Joe for the detail perspective from the riders seat!! - I also remember you have already corrected me about the "Twin" being a Double - I forgot again!! Great Job on the Race - I think you now have 3 or 4 of these under your belt!

Speaking of Dale's unbelievable speed!!! I will Never forget when he showed up at the 2004 "2nd Annual Race" with his 1903 Indian Humpback single , I thought he was going to have trouble keeping it running just for 1 lap. Then, out of No Where, He turns on like this bike had Nitrous!! I came alive and was FLYING!!! He put it on poor Bruce that year.

I thought we were going to have to inspect his bike closely for the Nitrous Bottle hidden some where - That was an Awesome Race

Looking forward to next year to see the 12's on the Track -

Thanks Again

David Lloyd - Confederate Chapter
            David LLoyd
            www.dswebdesign.com

Comment

Working...
            X