Help with oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with oil

I have a 1920 Cleveland, suppose to take Gargoyle Mobiloil B but don't know if it is still available? Is there an alternate oil I can use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Any good quality two stroke oil will be an improvement over the original Gargoyle. It probably suggests a 16:1 mix, but less will do with modern oils. I'd suggest 20:1 or even less. Better too much than not enough, though.
    Pete Gagan

Comment

Because old two strokes rely on the oil film to seal the crankcase you will have to use a mineral two stroke oil.
      Using modern oils designed for crankcases that have modern seals will result in a serious loss of power due to the oil not sealing around the mainshafts and letting the crankcase pressure out.
      Castrol Activ 2T , Motul Motomix 100 or any other brand so long as it is a mineral two stroke oil and don't forget the two stroke shake every time before you start the bike.
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks Tommo & Pete,
        The cap also calls for the following: "Mix one pint of oil to every one and half gallons of gasoline." Would you recommend doing the same?

Comment

The Cleveland handbook says "A slight blue haze should be visible coming from the exhaust"
          Modern mineral 2 stroke oils are designed not to smoke so that sort of mixture would be way too oily.
          I probably would try about 500 to 600 mils to a US gallon of gas and wouldn't go below 300 mils.
          As a starter more is probably better and if you oil up plugs lower the ratio until you find a happy mixture.
          If seeking advice be sure those people you are talking to realize that it is an air cooled engine with a cast iron piston and that it doesn't have modern style crankcase seals.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
          X