Seeking Guidance on my first AMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Guidance on my first AMC

I need some advise from the members of this forum.

I am very interested in purchasing a pre 1958 bike in good condition, hence why I have joined your fine group.
    I have had a number of bikes over the years. I currently own a nice touring machine, (HD SG) that serves me very well. Now, I am ready to purchase a piece of history, I want something I can ride often and something that I can wrench on (I am a Marine Engineer by trade and live to use the tools)

I would like something that is a collectors grade bike, I am ok with it being re-painted and such, even though I realize it takes away form the overall points and ultimate value, I know the machine I am looking at has a different front end, (is that a significant change that devalues my purchase?)

There is a bike on ebay (here), and I am interested in it but really would like to hear your thoughts or concerns. Such as is this appear to be a genuine "real McCoy" or is it straying too far from collector-ship? Is the price reasonable or way off. I love the color and the condition appears to indicate its well taken care of.

Feel free to private email me if you could, or post on this thread. Thanks very much

OH, if you know of something else I should be looking at, PLEASE let me know.

-=Bob=-
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Bob,

This is just one guys opinion and I hope you get many more to ponder. The bike is definitely mismatched but you have to decide how correct you want your "piece of history" to be. It has some reproduction parts and modern updates as well as the aforementioned incorrect front end. Springers on Panheads appeared as late as 1949 but it's always something you could use for trading material for the correct front end if you wanted to go that way. For a rider, it looks like a pretty nice bike but if the bug bites you bad, you will just find yourself trying to make it correct. I'd advise you to bide your time a little and find a more correct machine if you are leaning that way. (I know that's easier said then done when you get old bike fever!!) If not, then happy bidding! As for value it seems one could get a similar machine for a few thousand less. If it was original, you could expect to pay a little more. If it was exceptionally original then you could pay even more!!! Welcome to the Club!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

I agree with everything Cory said. The bike is clean, and sounds good, so mechanically, it would be an excellent rider. The main problem I see with such a bike is; if you wanted to put it right, you would spend a lot of money getting there. The frame is either aftermarket, or a later swing arm with a weld on hardtail. The '56 takes a straight leg rigid frame (i.e. expensive). It looks like all the sheet metal is reproduction. . . And the list goes on and on. The 1956 Harley Davidson big twin is a stunning gorgeous bike, and this one is too, in it's own way, but it is not a '56. Like Cory said; if you're determined to have a reasonably correct pre-'58 big twin, keep looking. There are still some good deals out there but you may have to rebuild a motor, or find a few correct parts. With summer over, the bike selling season is just about to begin.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Bob, I’m pretty familiar with that bike because I built it. As was mentioned, it is a collection of aftermarket pieces and some I created myself. The frame is from a 1960 model with a hard tail graphed to it. The springer is off of an unknown year 45 flathead adapted to fit the swing arm frame. The engine, tranny, start hubs and oil bag are about the only parts on it which are 1956.

If your looking for a little piece of history then it would be best to pass on this one. It would take a big wallet to bring this one back to anywhere near what it was in its glory days. You may also like to know that I sold the bike back in March of this year to this gentleman for 11k.
        Steve
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Wow, now that's the kind of honest and accurate information/support we would hope eveyone on here would give, especially to a new member. I'm sure he will greatly appreciate it. Kudos to you.
          AMCA 15783

Comment

Steve,
            Thank you for noticing my post and adding your comments, very much appreciated!! It is a beautiful looking and sounding bike, my compliments are out to you and your workmanship. It's is a real eye catcher.

I have read the above posts and also one or two from other members and I am so thankful I posted my question and am absolutely floored with the reprocess I have received. I will continue my searching and my learning, I am excited to find the right bike. Thank you to all the people comneting back to me and providing advise, its invaluable.
            Last edited by NiteOwl; 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM.
            Bob Beatty
            AMCA 19209

Comment

Bob! You did a good thing by presenting the question on the forum. There are some very knowledgeable folks here and they are pretty darn good about pointing a fellow member in the right direction. It's pretty wild that the bike you were interested in was built by a member that decided to speak up. (That was very decent of you Steve). I noticed that you're a fellow resident of B.C. Have you been to the Deeley museum in Vancouver? There are a variety of bikes on display and you just might find a model that you are really interested in. I would have to warn you that not all machines represented in the display are in the same state as when they left the factory but learning "correctness" comes with time, a lot of studying and asking questions. Have you looked within the Province for a machine? I've noticed a few old bikes for sale in Alberta right now. If you do stumble upon something and your not sure about it then take lots of pictures and throw them up on the forum. You will definitely get answers as to what's right and wrong and whether it's a decent deal or not. Good luck and keep us posted.
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

For fun, you can do what ever you want, thats whats great. For value, keep looking to find the most original bike you can afford or find. If you like to work on them, it will make it a little easier. But if you need parts, and want to stick with originals, then sometimes you can be a little surprised- rims, tanks, fenders, frames, might seem a little high. So, If you want to do a restoration, start with as much HD as you can get all in one place. In the long run you will be better off. Also, I learned it costs about as much to restore one bike as another- so a 45 wheel costs as much when your done as a knuckle wheel, doing the sheet metal, etc., but the knuck will always be worth more. The other fun way is to start with the engine or frame and go to swap meets for a while and keep picking up the right parts. This is a longer process, but you can spread the cost out, and have fun researching and finding. From my limited 3 bike experience, get the most original parts as you can on the bike, in the long run, it is easier than tracking everything down. You might even like the patina of a worn original and restore the internals, these are very cool and a good way to preserve history too.
                Dan Margolien
                Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
                Www.yankeechapter.org
                Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

another thing to remember is if you find something that is almost original you could ride it and enjoy it. Over time (meaning money) you can collect the pieces necessary to put it back to restored. All it takes is bags of money and then everything you would ever need is available. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
                  still on my 3 year journey to restore my 1950 pan but getting closer maybe this winter I'll start assembling.
                  Moose
                  aka Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                    I noticed that you're a fellow resident of B.C. Have you been to the Deeley museum in Vancouver? There are a variety of bikes on display and you just might find a model that you are really interested in. I would have to warn you that not all machines represented in the display are in the same state as when they left the factory but learning "correctness" comes with time, a lot of studying and asking questions. Have you looked within the Province for a machine? I've noticed a few old bikes for sale in Alberta right now.
                    Hi Cory, thanks for the reply, great suggestions, It's been way to long since I traveled to Vancouver to check out the museum, (I am on the Island), I think I will do that in 2 weeks, thanks! I have been watching things like Kijiji and some Craig's list but have not seen too much out of Alberta, is there a better place to watch for these items coming available that you cold point me too?
                    Last edited by NiteOwl; 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM.
                    Bob Beatty
                    AMCA 19209

Comment

Bob,

Kijiji can be a pretty good source but I would have to agree that's it's been pretty slow lately. There are quite a few little Harley 45's for sale in Alberta right now which brings me to a question. What are your expectations for your old bike purchase? Do you want a bike to putter around on or something that's going to cope with crazy modern traffic? I don't know how familiar you are with the older bikes but the 45, while dead reliable when they are dialed in, they aren't a real powerful bike (without extensive modifications). It's a speed limit or less type bike. They are really fun on the back roads where the traffic isn't pushing you. If you target a Big Twin you'll have all the power you will likely need. I'm not dogging 45's in any way as I think they are great bikes but I just thought I'd mention it. When I owned one, I rode it all over the place but climbing up over the Rogers Pass was a little slow!!! On the flatter grades it was a hoot!!! You can also expect to pay less for the little Harley than it's bigger brothers. Anyway I digress.... Since you are new to the organization have you got a club magazine yet? You'll find some good bikes for sale in the Classified section. When I'm travelling around, I grab every Bargain Finder or similar paper that I can find and dig through them. I should also mention that there are quite a few club members on the Island and something could show up by word of mouth. Anyway, I could ramble on and on but keep your eyes open and try and be patient and something will show up.
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                      X