Virtual Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Library

I received a call from the club asking if I had any material I could copy and send to the Virtual Library. I told them I had a lot of information but I work 14-18 hours a day and don't have the time or hardware to do it. I told them if they had someone who could scan it I would gladly lend it. They said the had hired a person to do just that, but that person was not doing their job. They said they had several people such as myself with lots of material but not the time or equipment to do it. My question is are there some of you who have time, scanner, to copy this stuff on a disk for the Free Virtual Library? They would like to have several people in different areas of the country. If so contact Richard Spagnolli at rspagnolli@aol.com to volunteer your services. It is a project that would benefit all.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

I'm still waiting to see the info that I sent them on PDF format to be added to the library.

Comment

"They said the had hired a person to do just that, but that person was not doing their job."

I wonder if that person is still getting paid ! ! ! ! ! !
      Ed Glasgow
      # 2053
      http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

So if MAYBE I have some old scout manuals, and bring them to Davenport (but want to take them home with me at week's end), would anyone there be interested in doing the work we're talking about? Would that be a way to get this party started?

Comment

Larry Barnes was the guy who was "hired" to set up, and scan the material for the VL. Steve Slocombe, and I think Kevin V got the ball rolling on this. At first, Larry was overloaded with material to scan by well meaning & generous members. However, the quality of the scan, and the application of a water mark for security reasons complicated things. Something about making this stuff available only to members was an issue.
          Things started getting expensive with Larry's one-man pace, and we opted to find a volunteer platform for this. There is some technical stuff that is way over my head on the scanning & computer end of things. I believe what we need is a super quality scanner, and someone who is capable of downloading this material to our website. Bill Wood may be an avenue on how to proceed on this. What we really need is someone of Larry's caliber, at a volunteer status.
          Makes me wonder who the "Club" was that called Chris.
          Cheers, RF (of the "Club")

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
            Larry Barnes was the guy who was "hired" to set up, and scan the material for the VL. Steve Slocombe, and I think Kevin V got the ball rolling on this. At first, Larry was overloaded with material to scan by well meaning & generous members. However, the quality of the scan, and the application of a water mark for security reasons complicated things. Something about making this stuff available only to members was an issue.
            Things started getting expensive with Larry's one-man pace, and we opted to find a volunteer platform for this. There is some technical stuff that is way over my head on the scanning & computer end of things. I believe what we need is a super quality scanner, and someone who is capable of downloading this material to our website. Bill Wood may be an avenue on how to proceed on this. What we really need is someone of Larry's caliber, at a volunteer status.
            Makes me wonder who the "Club" was that called Chris.
            Cheers, RF (of the "Club")
            I can't crunch the numbers into a finished product, RF. It doesn't seem (to me) that a proud and professional site for a tech library for a restorer could be built on a volunteer contribution, or even with a slice of our national's proceeds. And as only about a fifth (without checking the survey) of us get "wired" here, how could we equitably raid everybody's dues just for us? ... let's raid the foundation instead! (kiddin)
            I'm concerned for the success of our virtual existence, beyond parking lot chatter. In time, we'll see increased demand. .. if you're a supply-sider you build it spec, and they will come. .. .. but I mean to say that I'd pay for more product, if you can't give it to me for free.

Comment

I have a sales brochure for the 1956 H-D KH/KHK and a sales sheet for 1956 Harleys that shows options and prices. Both are scanned into my computer. The sales brochure was done professional locally. I'm willing to donate these materials to our virtual library for distribution to members. It bothers me that we want to charge our members for these materials. I have no problem charging non-members. What do others think -- should library materials be available at no cost to members?
              George Tinkham
              Springfield, IL
              www.virmc.com
              AMCA # 1494
              1941 Indian 841
              1948 Indian Chief
              1956 H-D KHK
              1960 CH
              1964 BMW R69S
              1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
              1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Originally posted by Edd View Post
                "They said the had hired a person to do just that, but that person was not doing their job."
                I didn't know Barack was also into old motorcycles! Cool.

Comment

George:

There is no charge for AMCA members downloading items from the Virtual Library. Members can either create an account on the site that gets them free access to all materials once they sign in, or they can enter their membership information when they go to check out. Either way, the price is reduced to zero.

And we would love to have your '56 Harley information to add to the collection. I will send you a PM with an address where you can send them. With the new library, we are looking to put together a group of volunteers who can help with the scanning and posting of these items. If anyone is interested in volunteering, please contact me. You'll need to have a reasonable level of computer skills, plus an Internet connection.

Thanks.

Bill Wood

Comment

Originally posted by Coolbreeze View Post
                    I have a sales brochure for the 1956 H-D KH/KHK and a sales sheet for 1956 Harleys that shows options and prices. Both are scanned into my computer. The sales brochure was done professional locally. I'm willing to donate these materials to our virtual library for distribution to members. It bothers me that we want to charge our members for these materials. I have no problem charging non-members. What do others think -- should library materials be available at no cost to members?
                    The library site is confusing as it makes it appear that you have to pay to use it. You do not pay to use the library, although the web site makes you jump through hoops that make it look like you have to pay. But at the end you get to copy your items with no charge.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Does that volunteering come with discounted vending spots?
                      Dave

Comment

I would be willing to assist with this scanning and posting. I have the equipment and certainly the computer skills. Time is always a premium though (my bike takes priority), so a couple at a time, with the promise of a quick turn around. No payment necessary, its good to give back.
                        Bob Beatty
                        AMCA 19209

Comment

Bob, thanks for volunteering. When first conceived, the Virtual Library was designed to be a depository for antique motorcycle literature and memorabilia that could be used by the Club Membership and others for education, reference and restorations. There was no doubt that the Library was a valuable benefit to the Membership and the antique motorcycle community. Unfortuneately, there has been a logistics problem after the initial materials were uploaded to the Library. How can the material for the Library be scanned and then uploaded? Owners were reluctant to send their valuable literature through the mail to have someone scan and return them with the risk of loss in the process. Owners live all over the country and the world. The Club Board with Matt Olsen leading the way is considering a number of options. The current one under consideration is to have many volunteers around the country to gain access to the materials from the owners, scan them and send the material via e mail to be uploaded by a member designated to perform this task. Again this idea presents its own problems. It may take many volunteers to have this idea work. Although hiring people to do the scanning is not off the table, the cost may be prohibitive and allowing non members to do such delicate work may not be wise. There is a wealth of literature out there. An example is Chris Haynes. He has offered his extensive HD literature trove if someone in his area would come, pick up the materials, scan and return them. Matt and the Board are open to any ideas that would help this project move along. Thanks in advance to those with suggestions and to those few who have already volunteered to help.
                          Richard Spagnolli
                          AMCA #6153

Comment

Does my question not deserve a response? I think it was a reasonable inquiry since the club at one time was paying Larry to scan orig. literature. And, I do own 60 years of old literature & have the ability to copy & scan it. It seems only good business that that the club should reciprocate with its members. We already pay for a membership, it’s not like it’s free. I guess I’ll l just continue selling it to folks that really appreciate it & don’t mind showing it. And who knows they might volunteer there rare literature pieces to the club to copy at the risk of devaluing their investment.
                            Dave
                            Last edited by BNSONS; 02-19-2012, 05:38 PM.

Comment

brainstorming

I have a couple thoughts on the above:

Re Dave's comment, perhaps a compensation for his very generous offer and donation would be a membership upgrade for a year, or more, even an incentive where after a set amount of document donations would result in a life time membership... just a thought. . . .

Members doing scans: Perhaps the club would be in a position to cover the cost of sending the material from donor to scanner person and back to donor. This does not ensure safety of the documents, but if docs were sent a couple at a time it would reduce the chance or severity of loss.

Alternatively, (I don't know the structure of the club) maybe the club could spring for an appropriate scanning equipment, then hire a student on a short co-operative basis to do scanning for the club. I would envision material being donated to some safe location, then every 4 months or so the student spend a month, with pay to perform the archival procedures.
                              Bob Beatty
                              AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
                              X