many have.I am sure prior to painting the oil tank on big twins
    we see this old sludge mess and chared grit in the tank,cant
    imagine running my new motor with the thought in mind that
    the grit can get into my motor and stop flow.How do you get
    the mess cleaned?
    1 Glass bead? dont think so to much particulate matter
    2 Triethel chloride? mabee carsinogenic
    3 Kerocene? Tried that too weak
    4Cut windows into the back of tank clean by hand,then weld plates back in? may be the only solution at least that way you can inspect properly.

Thankyou for the help
    Pete

Take it to a radiator shop or a good machine shop. They will have a tank you can submerge it in to boil it out. It might cost you a dozen donuts to the guys on a Saturday. FatDog

Comment

Before I talked my auto machine shop guy into doing them in the hot tank, I would slosh and soak with some Gunk engine degreaser for a while and then off to the car wash to use the pressure wash. Works great but don't wear your Sunday go to meetin' clothes, it gets a little messy. The machine shop charges me 15.00, about 3 times as much as the Gunk- car wash deal, but my wife likes me better. Kyle

Comment

oil tank

Kyle,Fatdog
        Thankyou for the reply I will give it a try.Still concerned about
        thouse areras you cant see.

Pete

Comment

Try filling your tank 1/4 full of good ole high octane gasoline and a few handfuls of number 7 lead shot that you got from your reloading supplier or removed them from your shells yourself. I don't advise the use of any extemely flamable liquid or the removal of the lead shot from loaded amunition but if you, ON YOUR OWN, DECIDE, to do just that........???? Close up all openings and shake the living *%^#@ out of it. It will come out clean!! WARNING!! Watch the pressure build up too!! When you are satisfied it is all out, a car wash pressure washer does a darn good rinsing.

Comment

Hey Pete, stop off at a Sears store and pick yourself up a set of those minature inspection mirror (they're cheap). The extending type are great also with the small rectangular mirror. Take a small penlight and shine it thru the oil drain plug while you insert the inspection mirror into the top filller hole. With a little manipulation, you should be able to see every corner/crease inside the tank. You'll know for sure if theres any pockets of crud still sticking to the inside areas. You can bend an old wire coat hangar to reach in and pick at any really hard stubborn crud. Like FatDog says, a radiator shop should be able to completely clean out the tank no problem. Hey Paps, you surely are a brave man!! GAS IS a great cleaner, but its just too FLAMMABLE to play with!! Safety First!!..... ....Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

oil tank

hey pete over in allentown is a company called redi-strip they can put your tank in their strip tanks and they will come out no paint or oil on them.i have used them on my 49 gas and oil tanks they do a great job! joe

Comment

Was not recommending it, just suggesting as a last result. That is the purpose of the lead shot. NO SPARKS! Common sense is needed to use this procedure. The person who pumps fuel into their tank with a cigerette in his mouth should in no means attempt this operation. Like all flamables, corosives and caustics, extreme care must be taken with their use. I needed an old gas tank off of a BSA welded up once. No one would touch it. So I filled it with water to the cap after I mounted it on a set of horses and installed the petcock. I then fired up the trusty ole butane torch and held the flame in the cap opening. Keeping the flame directed into the cap opening, I slowly opened the petcock on the bottom of the tank until all the water had drained out. No Ka Boom!! No more fumes either! I then welded it up myself. It is all in how safe you are when you do it.

Comment

Just remember if you tank- strip clean your tanks any magic-mud that may be filling exterior blemishes will come out also.

Comment

sludge

I feel that any of these methods will work. My personal favorite is to use fast lacquer thinner. I have never found a sludge that this stuff would not dissolve. You can get a gallon at home depot for around$10.
                    D Rousseau

Comment

oil tank

Members
                      Thanks,joe called ted at redi-strip unfortunately the tanks are froze up .I will try the laquer thinner technique.I do have numerous mirrors for inspection however you can neaver have enough will get more.If all does not go well next stop Rad. shop.
                      reguards
                      Pete

Comment

Working...
                      X