suggestions to start this awesome journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions to start this awesome journey

hello everyone, just getting ready to take the leap into vintage motorcycles, wondering if you guys can help point me in the right direction of what model may be the right first choice. I am looking for something i still can ride and also something that will still hold its value. as of right now i do love the look of the harley flatheads. Any help or words of wisdom are sure appreciated. thanks scott

Thats one hell of a question! Start by hitting the meets. Georges list is another way. Anything thats usually shows up there is headed for a meet. Don't go and buy anything blind, like on Fleese-Bay. See it in person and take along someone that knows his stuff.
    Bob L
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 08-12-2011, 07:18 PM.
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Sad to say today but what it all comes down to is what is your spending range. 46EL

Comment

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
        Sad to say today but what it all comes down to is what is your spending range. 46EL
        I was thinking the same thing.

As far as the reference to picking a bike that will hold it's value, if you're setting your sites on American iron, most of them will only appreciate.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Oh contraire! When I first started out, I was already into everything vintage. But here in the Big City, everyone rode an HD, had a Camero, or some SBC powered, belly button contraption. I opted for the more unique, and besides, I was always anamoured by the Indians.
          Indians have opened more doors around the entire World for me than being able to lick my eyebrows, or have $100 bills falling out of my pockets. They are a "get out of Jail Free" card, and separate you from the black tee shirted masses with the attitudes. Besides, the Indian comraderis is second to none (although it did suffer a bit during the speculator phase when the money guys got involved).
          Post war Chiefs enjoy a huge support for all the parts, and the improvements available these days will keep you smiling on the road for years to come.
          My vote for a newbie is a post war Chief.
          That's what got me this deep.
          RF.

Comment

Thanks guys, gonna head to the meet in Madison county see what's there, will be my first one. Pretty exciting stuff!!
            Hoping to find something under 10k. Finding out pretty quickly I like the look of the older harleys. Glad to here they hold their value and then some. Thanks again

Comment

Thanks RF
              I've heard all great things about the older indian bikes, I've just had a hard time seeing anything around my price range.
              I can say that I'm having a great time investigating the history of these great machines, learning alot. The chase is on!!

Comment

Indians are grand machines, I like the HD flat heads too - the money will add up fast. Parts are expensive, take your time and learn and listen. Hang in and try to find the best machine you can for your money. If it's missing alot or needs alot, unless you have skill's - the cost will go way up. I think HD 45's are still a pretty good deal and lot's of fun and you can't beat an Indian 45 - great machines. Of course a Chief or a VL, or UL are all very cool and good machines. The 45's are I think the best deal's in todays prices and they are fun road worthy machines. Part's are fairly easy to find, if not totally correct you can save some money too. The bigger machines will run you more on average I think - just my 2 cents. A good friend just got a very nice 101 complete an older restoration this year for 10,000 !! A hell of a deal, but it can be done - dont rush, good luck.

Comment

Perhaps I should step back, and explain some of my findings.
                  If we are talking "bang for the buck" and "all around useable bike" then I recommend the post war Chief. Here's a bike that can traverse the Globe (done it many times), and receive the support it needs from only a phone call, or email away. Usually within hours. It is the most useable; highways, biways, Autobahns, gravel, dirt, the Rockys, the Alps, Death Valley, whatever. You will never, EVER be compromised when using a Chief. A HD 45 will leave you pissed off on a long ride, feeling like a left-handed girl on a road run, and generally a beginner on a starters bike.
                  Price is all relative. If you went out and purchased an '84 Toyota, it will cost you $thousands to get it back into shape. The tail lights are probably $120, same with a Triumph, or an HD, or ???? In the end, you can spend $120 for a tail light on a machine that will generate a profit, or at least keep it's value (something that is actually secondary). Or, you can spend the same amount on a tail light for a lesser, cheaper machine, that will probably never appreciate in value, and always maintain a "beginer" status. The same labor goes into a Pinto, that goes into a Duesenberg.
                  Enjoy a well rounded machine, that will pay you back in useable fun, and reliabilty, and potential benifits in the future.
                  Jus sayin, RF.

Comment

Streetbobber 74, you will have a lot of fun with this. Everyone has their own opinion on what to get, but, I have found that bikes usually find YOU not the other way around. When you try too hard to find exactly what you think you want, you usually have to pay too much. Have a good time looking, and when the right deal comes along you'll know it.

Comment

I hope your spending price is flexable

I too was looking for an flathead harley ( long time harley lover - owned a few over the last 25 years still have a couple )

I too had a price ( under 10k) but when I found my 40 military cheif the bar was raised - price 11K

1940 at purchase.JPG

about 4K later

PICT0060.jpg

just appraised at 29.5k - offered 25K at wauseon but turned it down as the new bike feeling has not wore off yet

go with your gut feeling, enjoy your new ride

aka HAWG
                      Last edited by aka HAWG; 08-14-2011, 07:45 AM.
                      1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                      1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                      1940 indian chief military
                      1965 sportster xlch
                      1969 sportster xlch bobber
                      1971 bsa A65 chopper
                      1969 harley ss350 sprint
                      1960 harley topper
                      1963 harley topper
                      H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                      H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                      1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                      1959 harley model 165
                      1960 harley super 10
                      1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                      EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

That photographer was incredible!
                        AMCA #3149
                        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

thanks for all the great words everyone. i now see im going to have be flexable with the $$$$. prices are all over the place. awesome looking indian by the way, looks great. the search continues, the more i look the more i figure out what style i like. the weekend should be fun. if i find something will definatley post it. thanks again

Comment

Working...
                          X