Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Harley JDs Be The New Knuckleheads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
    Tall and slendar? Joe - is that blondes, brunettes or red heads? We were walking about motorcycles ya know :-)
    Buzz

White of course, with button treads

JOe

Comment

Sorry to rain on ya'lls Parade, but for the past 2 weeks I have been working on a '25 HD and compared to an Indian Scout of the same era it does not hold a candle to it!
      http://laughingindian.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
      A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Originally posted by indianut View Post
        Sorry to rain on ya'lls Parade, but for the past 2 weeks I have been working on a '25 HD and compared to an Indian Scout of the same era it does not hold a candle to it!
        You need to hold a candle to the Indian? :-)

Seriously, this thread is about the popularity and ramp up in prices for Harleu JDs, not a comparisons to other makes or models of motorcycle.
        Buzz Kanter
        Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
        [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
        [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

will the demand for old Harleys in general remain.I started rideing inthe 50's when for $75 you could ride away on a Harley or Indian.Then it had to be a good JD to demand the $75.They would run just as fast but were not as safe as the 40's bikes for the same price.What I see all around me on the old bikes is gray fellows.The kids ride through us on their crotch rockets.What I see is every time one of us old cogers gets to old to kick one over the price will go down a notch.About 6 years ago I had been draging a steam tractor to the shows for the preceeding 24 years.In that peroid I witnessed the end of a era of old timers who actually thrashed with steam.So in 2005 I traded the steamer for a 48 cheif and am agin with my age group.I see fellow club members puting electric starters on and others passing away.You can put a collector plate on a 1981 bike in my state.Yes the orignial paint JD's should hold their value but without the old guys they wont ever catch up with the newer bikes.I find my old bikes fun to look at but on the freeway or back roads give me a airhead GS. But what always starts and runs is my 48U and anything that runs will get you there first.
          elt
          the connoisseur of junk
          Last edited by elt; 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM.

Comment

While the bikes don't sell for big bucks yet, a 29 cylinder just sold on ebay for $1600
            Dan Margolien
            Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
            Www.yankeechapter.org
            Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

A steam tractor recently sold out of Saskatchewan to the USA for over 300 thousand dollars and there is almost no one from that time still active in the hobby. Who can say what will stimulate the interests of the next generation. Perhaps a famous owner or a hollywood movie will set the trend. My humble opinion is ,if it generates the cool factor, it will always gererate buyers, no matter what generation.
              Ross

Comment

Originally posted by DanM View Post
                While the bikes don't sell for big bucks yet, a 29 cylinder just sold on ebay for $1600
                I REALLY wanted and needed that 1929 cylinder but not for $1600!
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

1,600 is cheap. i saw a pair go for 5 grand. if the seller listed it better he may have got more.
                  rob ronky #10507
                  www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Working...
                  X