1937 Big Twin Factory Rebuilt Frame Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1937 Big Twin Factory Rebuilt Frame Photos

Here's some photos from Slojo and a quote setting up the thread. I inadvertantly put it in the "Flathead" section and seeing as it garnered zero responses, here it is in "Parking Lot Chatter". Interesting stuff for sure!!!

"These attached photos are 1937 Big Twin factory rebuilt frame photos. Note the stamped numbers right of the seat post, the closed brake stay slot, the yellow ink stamp or maybe paint on the tube below the main frame back bone stating "REBUILT". Also see the lower frame rails where they make the transition from straight to bending up to the lower front motor mount, a strange bend.
    Joe"

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Early Frame Necks 005.jpgEarly Frame Necks 006.jpgEarly Frame Necks 007.jpgEarly Frame Necks 008.jpgI took a few pictures of some early frame necks. I tried to add pictures, but they refused to show after upload. What happened? It used to be easy to add pictures with the thumbnail display. Ok, with a little help from Corey, the pics are showing up. The neck in primer is a 37 frame of unknown origin, 7/8" stress tube, open brake stay. The second picture is an early 38 frame, enclosure added to brake stay. The third is 37, it has been back to the factory for repair as well. The repair # is 3582, is this a work order number or did they use the motorcycles VIN? The brake stay has been enclosed. The 4th pic is of a 1939 neck. The main difference in the two 37 necks is the size of the foundry mark. The primered frame shows the smaller of the foundry marks, as do 38 and 39 necks. The other 37 frame has the large mark.
    Last edited by koanes; 08-06-2011, 07:51 AM.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

This frame is a repaint from the factory (paint on the motor mount plates). Apparently after the "repairs" were made, what ever they were the factory repainted the frame. There isn't any road grime in the lower frame "pockets " near the transmission and motor mount area, yet it would appear the paint was put on over some grime in other area, this I determined by the appearance of an unusual "lumpiness" in the painted surface buildup. This buildup under the paint may be braze splatter.

Joe

Comment

I have a 39 that has numbers stamped in same location and some on the other side of the seat post.
        The top tube and the 1" tube appear to have a slight swell in them like they were repaired and the pics posted have a similar area on the top tube.
        Bob

Comment

100_9229.jpg

Kyle, you have to check mark your picture and hit the "insert online button" and then click "done" beside it. If you have too much trouble, pm me with your e-mail and I'll get them up for you. By the way, the procedure seems to have changed since the last time I tried this.
          Last edited by c.o.; 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Bob

Yes this frame appears to have a new "front end clip" also. The one inch frame rail below the main back bone is unquestionably severed and welded back together. The upper main frame rail looks as if it had some metal finishing at a point inline with the repair of the frame rail below. The bottom frame rails appeared to be spliced at the tangent point of the straight rails to the bends a few inches below the front motor mount.

The front left lower motor mount shows reinforcement weld where they have been know to break near the bolt hole, a filler weld applying more metal in the week area.

Joe

Comment

Hey Corey, Thanks for the help. I was getting very frustrated yesterday, I try to avoid letting this technology get the best of me, but new tricks are tough on this old dog. Joe, I am curious about the machined in relief at the tank/dash mount casting. Not all frames have this feature, I wonder if this was something the factory did when the frames were returned for repair.
              Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Working...
              X