Question ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question ???

Two bikes in the Wauseon Ohio show. Both bikes are 1911 model year.

The question is, during the awards ceremony, which bike receives both the oldest bike award and earns a century medallion and which bike receives no recognition. Bike A, a bike not run all weekend and pushed in and out of the judging area. Or bike B, the bike that was prominently displayed and rode throughout the entire weekend?

Answer: If you guessed Bike A you have the same opinion of the AMCA judges. If you guessed bike B. you must guess again.

I fully understand why so many long term AMCA member/bike builders no longer display bikes in the judging area.

Joe

i quess this is bike b
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I'm really digging Bike B!!! Joe, sometimes it just isn't worth the time or taxation on your faculties to try and figure out why things happen as they do. But, for curiousity sake are you saying Bike A never ran at all?
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

"for curiousity sake are you saying Bike A never ran at all?"

Bike A (a proud single) did not run at the meet. at all.
        Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
          Two bikes in the Wauseon Ohio show. Both bikes are 1911 model year.

The question is, during the awards ceremony, which bike receives both the oldest bike award and earns a century medallion and which bike receives no recognition. Bike A, a bike not run all weekend and pushed in and out of the judging area. Or bike B, the bike that was prominently displayed and rode throughout the entire weekend?

Answer: If you guessed Bike A you have the same opinion of the AMCA judges. If you guessed bike B. you must guess again.

I fully understand why so many long term AMCA member/bike builders no longer display bikes in the judging area.

Joe
          Joe
          I was not there, BUT this is how it should have been handled. the owner of "bike A" should have been asked to start the bike, if it did not run the tag should have been changed to "display only" the century medallion is given to ANY and ALL bikes on the field that are 100 years old or older. (that means judged and display only). as for the oldest bike, I would have given it to the runner, BUT again any bike on the field (judged or display only) is eligible, so the award should go to the bike with the lowest serial number. you should have at the very least also received a Century Medallion.
          Last edited by kval; 07-18-2011, 10:59 PM.
          Kevin Valentine 13
          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Actually the oldest bike award is chosen by the hosting Chapter, and not the AMCA Judges. Century medalians should go to all 100 year old & older bikes that were displayed, regardless. Getting back the the oldest bike award, I have seen this get down to the serial #s to decide, the criteria is which bike is actually older. This award, although Nationally recognized, is NOT chosen by the AMCA Judges, but by the hosting Chapter, along with Long distance. Some Long Distance awards may go to a guy from the nieghboring town who decided to ride around the World on his way to the meet, while others may go to a guy who simpley rode the longest as the crow flys. Again, these are Local Chapter descissions, NOT National AMCA Judgements.
            It's hard to please all the people all the time though.
            Jus' sayn' RF.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
              Some Long Distance awards may go to a guy from the nieghboring town who decided to ride around the World on his way to the meet, while others may go to a guy who simpley rode the longest as the crow flys. Again, these are Local Chapter descissions, NOT National AMCA Judgements.
              It's hard to please all the people all the time though.
              Jus' sayn' RF.
              Fred
              the long distance awards are SUPPOSED to go to the person who rides from his/her home to the meet. we have had several times when someone claims excessive mileage.
              as an example: several years ago Matt Olsen rode to a meet and was given the longest distance ridden award, he approached me later and stated that another person had claimed alot more mileage. it was explained to everyone that the rider was on a 2 month vacation ride and decided to stop at the meet on his way. Matt on the other hand had left his home just to ride to and from the meet. Matt was given credit for the award, but later graciously handed the trophy to the other person.
              while it is true that the host chapter picks the winners of these awards, the national has a set of criteria that should be followed.
              Kevin Valentine 13
              EX-Chief Judge

Comment

After the awards ceremony was over a century medallion was awarded bike B. Carl Olsen stepped in and notified the board responsible for distributing this award. Bike B is the lowest serial number 1911 Harley double know to exist with a number of 284A. Bike A, I did not look to the serial number. Comparison of the number on these two totally different bike manufactures may not tell the story for oldest bike.

What the club overlooked was the significance of the Harley, bike B in front of them, the oldest (100 years old) authentic running double cylinder Harley Davidson in the world know to exist. The significance itself should have been celebrated by Harley Davidson and at least one of the chapter events. 100 years of double cylinder Harley Davidson even the HD factory forgot this important land mark year for their push rod 45 degree twin machines.

Joe

Comment

Since the subject of the "Century Award" has been mentioned, I have a few questions. Does the AMCA keep a master record of what cycles receive the award? If so, does the AMCA maintain a record of the cycles serial numbers, owner at the time of receipt, etc.? Does the AMCA issue a certificate of award to the cycle owner along with the medallion award?

Also, then the oldest cycle award at a meet should be awarded to a cycle that either is on display only or being judged?

Comment

Since the subject of the "Century Award" has been mentioned, I have a few questions. Does the AMCA keep a master record of what cycles receive the award?

Talbot--took the words right out of my mouth!! I'd also like to know if any records exist of this award? Thanks, BPK!!

Comment

I'm with Joe on this one and would be curious to hear from the club how this happened and if there are some other rules we might not be aware of. Great bike Joe and congrats.
                      Buzz Kanter
                      Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                      [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                      [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Yep I too am with Joe, sorry Harley Davidson paid no notice to the machine - a sad thing indeed. Thanks for the info Kevin V and hats off to Carl Olsen for doing the right thing. Yet another awesome machine you have there Joe + glad to see you riding it!

Comment

Bike B is very historic indeed and its rider a dedicated one.
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======
                          The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                          X