Copping an attitude about hardtails ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copping an attitude about hardtails ?

After reading about Joe Cronkhite, an AMCA member located in the Canadian province of New Brunswick, on page 18 of the summer issue of the magazine, I'm hoping the insanity doesn't spread. Can you imagine anything more dangerous than denying history ? I hope the Registrar of Motor Vehicles sees the light very soon.
    Rick

This must terrify him . http://youtu.be/uMos8-lMskA

Originally posted by DuoGlide62 View Post
    After reading about Joe Cronkhite, an AMCA member located in the Canadian province of New Brunswick, on page 18 of the summer issue of the magazine, I'm hoping the insanity doesn't spread. Can you imagine anything more dangerous than denying history ? I hope the Registrar of Motor Vehicles sees the light very soon.
    Rick

Here is a copy of an email from the Registrar of Motor Vehicles for the Province of New Brunswick replying to those who have written to express their concern over registering rigid frame motorcycles.

" Dear *****:
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding vintage and antique motorcycle safety. As Registrar of Motor Vehicles for New Brunswick I am required to take on certain responsibilities and to do so I am provided with certain legislated authority. Sections of the New Brunswick Motor Vehicle Act speak to the Registrar’s authority and responsibility in regards to vehicle registration; particularly sections 25(1)(b) and 231.

I would like to clarify that if a motorcycle is fully original and was intended for use in Canada at the time of manufacture, it does not need to be further certified by a professional engineer. If a motorcycle has been restored to its original design, without modifications or alterations, a letter from an authorized motorcycle dealer stating that the motorcycle conforms to its original design standards, is safe and meets highway standards is satisfactory, prior to registration. This policy however applies only when no modifications have been made to the vehicle design. Transport Canada does not impose safety standards on after-market frames. Therefore vehicles constructed using these parts are considered modified, as opposed to rebuilt or restored. If a vintage, antique, or any other motorcycle has been modified, or is using after-market parts such as an after-market frame, then a New Brunswick professional engineer's certification is required.

When, as Registrar, I am informed that a vehicle has been modified from its original design I require that the vehicle to be certified as safe and roadworthy by a professional engineer. I will then consider the advice provided to me by the engineer and make a decision on whether or not the vehicle, in its modified state, appears to be safe and eligible to be registered for use on the highways in this province. The choice of professional engineer is left solely up to the vehicle owner. The engineer must however be registered to practice as a professional engineer in the province of New Brunswick. When I am provided with a certification of a motorcycle from a professional engineer, registered to practice in this province, I am prepared to consider the registration status of a modified vehicle.

Yours truly,

Charles O’Donnell

Registrar of Motor Vehicles"

The letter from the Registrar has been circulating in Vintage motorcycle circles in Canada since early May. An explanation of the actual situation has been sent to the Editor of The Antique Motorcycle and hopefully a further note will appear in the next issue. The obvious intent of the New Brunswick legislation is to require "homebuilt" cars, trucks, trailers and motorcycles to be examined and checked out before registration not to prevent the registration, restoration and use of antique and classic motorcycles.

AFJ

Comment

Thanks AFJ, looking forward to some sort of clarification in the magazine.
      Rick

Comment

Rick
        The Antique Motorcycle Editor has the above letter - and a good deal more information - from me on this issue so I hope to see some clarification in the next issue. The Triumph which had its registration cancelled is a late 70s-made Triumph with an aftermarket "chopper" frame. Therefore, it has to be inspected. I have no info on the '42 H-D, which Mr. Chronkhite was putting together, as to whether it was a rebuild or restoration of a stock bike (in which case it would not require inspection by an engineer) or if it was a custom-framed "chopper" like the Triumph.

AFJ

Comment

Rick
          The resolution of this "hardtail" affair is on page 28 of the Fall issue of "The Antique Motorcycle" which arrived in the mail to-day, Sept. 14/11

AFJ

Comment

Got it, thanks.
            I guess he picked the wrong engineer.

Rick

Comment

Working...
            X