Early Motorcycle publications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cory,
    Someday, we'll get to making it run and ride, but probably not do any cosmedic's to it. Actually waiting on a sale's brochure to show up( if any were made) and compare the colors that still remain on the machine, just to see if originally it had black engine cases and blue chassis.
    You know, it wasn't that many years ago, when I would advertise looking for a "Keating", the powers to be, all snickered, and said-we all wish we had a motorcycle with our namesake! I have since proved them wrong, as now the "Keating" is in the history books!! BPK!!

Comment

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Nice strap tank Lonnie, where have we seen this design before.

Joe

Comment

the 1903 merkel had a tiny engine compared to the '04 harley ,but check out the 1907 merkel engine. now who's copying who??
          www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

"The improved 1904 Merkel"

scan0008.jpg

Comment

So curious that the 1903 Milwaukee Merkel REALLY was there "ready for you" but the supposed 1903 Harley-Davidson--of which entire museums are built around--there is absolutely no evidence of existence whatever.

1903 Milwaukee Merkel: "Leaders in Design Construction...Beauty..." really says it all.

Now about that 50th anniversary in 1954 again...hmmm???
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======
              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by BPK!! View Post
                Cory,
                Someday, we'll get to making it run and ride, but probably not do any cosmedic's to it. Actually waiting on a sale's brochure to show up( if any were made) and compare the colors that still remain on the machine, just to see if originally it had black engine cases and blue chassis.
                You know, it wasn't that many years ago, when I would advertise looking for a "Keating", the powers to be, all snickered, and said-we all wish we had a motorcycle with our namesake! I have since proved them wrong, as now the "Keating" is in the history books!! BPK!!
                It's good to hear that you intend to breathe life into that historic machine!!! As far as Keating being in the history books, here's a little info from "The Motorcycle, Construction, Operation, Care and Repair" Text by C.P. Shattuck and printed in 1912. I found it interesting that it was mentioned that the Keating's muffler doubled as the front fender!!!

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Cory,
                  Now that is also another article I have not seen before! I'll try to make a copy of what is posted. The exhaust went into the "rear" fender on the Keating--fyi! Thanks, appreciate it-BPK!!

Comment

Originally posted by BPK!! View Post
                    Hey Cory,
                    Now that is also another article I have not seen before! I'll try to make a copy of what is posted. The exhaust went into the "rear" fender on the Keating--fyi! Thanks, appreciate it-BPK!!
                    Brian!!! Rear fender.... of course just like it says in the article!!! I gotta quit posting when my eyes are telling me to sleep!!!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Here is an ad for the 1908 Merkel. Also, an ad for the 1908 Harley-Davidson. Note the "Fifth Year on the Market and Thoroughly Proven" header in the H-D ad. These ads are from the March 1, 1908, issue of the "Cycle and Automobile Trade Journal". This issue was their "8th Annual Complete Vehicle Review". The issue also contained the "1908 Motor Cycle Review" which contains a photo of each cycle being manufactured accompanied by a text description of the respective cycle.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by talbot-2; 07-29-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
                        Also, an ad for the 1908 Harley-Davidson. Note the "Fifth Year on the Market and Thoroughly Proven" header in the H-D ad.
                        It's just another example of how the history of H-D was fabricated early on. That S. Lacy Crolius could spin a yarn!!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Cory, here is an excerpt from the interview with Walter Davidson from the July 1908 "The Motorcycle Illustrated"magazine after Walter won the famous 1908 Endurance Run. The full interview is quite indepth and gives a good idea of where Walter was coming from. Seymor Crolius was indeed quite the yarn spinner but this information comes directly from the horses mouth so to speak. Pretty much covers it I think.

Dick
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the exerpt Dick! Interesting stuff for sure.... It's looking like this article is closer to accurate than some. I'm guessing they were including the proto-type year as being in "business".
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Herb,
                              As I said elsewhere I haven't received a club magazine since the Spring 2010 issue so I haven't had the privledge of reading your Pennington article and as a result may be barking up the wrong tree. Please excuse me if I am.
                              From discussions on this board it seems you are trying to determine the first use of the "moto-cycle" phrase and came across the attached reference to that phrase in a 1902 Motor Cycling recently.
                              The "Combination Petrol and Hot Air Motor" comes from "The Chicago Moto-Cycle Co. 107 Madison Street, Chicago.
                              I've attached the info and hope it helps in your research.
                              The spring frame that appeared in the same article is attached just as a thing of interest.
                              Attached Files
                              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                              A.M.C.A. # 2777
                              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Moto-cycle

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                                Herb,
                                As I said elsewhere I haven't received a club magazine since the Spring 2010 issue so I haven't had the privledge of reading your Pennington article and as a result may be barking up the wrong tree. Please excuse me if I am.
                                From discussions on this board it seems you are trying to determine the first use of the "moto-cycle" phrase and came across the attached reference to that phrase in a 1902 Motor Cycling recently.
                                The "Combination Petrol and Hot Air Motor" comes from "The Chicago Moto-Cycle Co. 107 Madison Street, Chicago.
                                I've attached the info and hope it helps in your research.
                                The spring frame that appeared in the same article is attached just as a thing of interest.
                                Thanks Tommo. Interesting pages, esp. that "Softail" frame in 1902! Altho they put the motor in the swingarm frame section instead of the diamond section.

Actually, I was able to trace "moto-cycle" back to the 1880s when used for an American steam tricycle.

Later "moto-cycle" (c1895-99) was used in America for ANY vehicle containing its own means of propulsion, including 2, 3, or 4 wheels driven by steam, petroleum, compressed air, lodestone, perpetual motion, etc. By 1900 "moto-cycle" had become more restricted in meaning, and used primarily for powered vehicles that could also be pedal-assisted when desired--again no matter the number of wheels.

Interestingly, Indian used the term "motocycle" over "motorcycle" and must have know the correct meaning.

These spelling/meaning distinctions were not always strictly observed, however, and it's not clear how "moto-cycle" was meant to be used in your ad. But probably it was for any vehicle.

Later (in America at least) "moto-cycle" dropped out of sight and today most people probably assume it means the same thing as "motorcycle." It does not. Motorcycle as used today arose by another route with a specific meaning. And that appears to have been through the activities and promotions of E.J. Pennington's greatest and most outlandish invention: "The Motor Cycle" (c1893-94), a TWO-wheeled, rider balanced vehicle with a gas engine in a bicycle chassis.

The world has not been safe every since.

Of course Pennington also invented a gasoline-powered baby buggy. But I never saw an ad for it jumping a river like a Victorian-age Evel Knievel or burning up the pavement in 1895 Milwaukee a few blocks from where young Bill Harley and Artie Davidson lived.
                                Last edited by HarleyCreation; 08-09-2011, 09:04 AM.
                                Herbert Wagner
                                AMCA 4634
                                =======
                                The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                                X