when did it happen and where was I hidding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when did it happen and where was I hidding

somewhere in a land far far away at a time long before I can remember the hobby of rebuilding a old bike became a business instead of a hobby.

trying to find a few old odd pieces to finish my 50 pan and am looking for a few items. It seems that even the price of a used muffler is now more than the original price of the whole bike.

I sure wish I kept all the old parts I used to give away to help someone out I could have retired rich instead of just pretty.

ok thats the end of my rant (i doubt it but sounded good)

by the way I'm still looking for a muffler for the 50 pan at a reasonable price oh my I said reasonable sorry
    Moose
    aka Glenn

Hang in there Glenn the only conciliation I can offer is your bike also is worth more now than it was new.
    Dave

Comment

Just heard from a guy I know who is doing a 39EL. He has been looking for a right side gas tank for 3+ years now. He stopped at a local Tag Sale and there were 2 HD Tanks there and he bought them both for $35 and one was the right tank he needed. Now he has a total investment in the Knuckle tank he he needed for $17.50.

Comment

I hope he bought a muffler for me say it's so I promise I'll be good I will, I will
        Moose
        aka Glenn

Comment

I can't remember what makes a 1950 BT muffler unique. I looked at the cigar muffler I had stashed for my 50 and it has a 51B suffix.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

1950-57 used a long tip cigar muffler with no markings on them. The tip is probably around 3 inches. 58-I cant remember used used the same muffler with a short tip and no markings, The harley mufflers that are marked 51b are from the 70's. They are teh same as the 58- later muffler but they are stamped with 51-b part number and say harley davidson, close but not correct for pans.

This is the muffler he is looking for.
            Attached Files

Comment

I too am looking for a cigar muffler for my 62, but I require a black one.

Comment

Glenn I don't know when it happened but it must have been before 1975 when I got started fixing on old HD's. Old bikes and especially OEM exhausts in good condition have always been somewhat expensive in my area.

Jerry

Comment

As I've stated before. AMCA rule of thumb number #1: If you can see it, you're going to pay for it!
                  AMCA #3149
                  http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

i've been told by many the stock muffler on the 50 had the 51 b number on it. come on guys lets give one up for the gipper

you can't take it with you U Hauls not allowed in cemetary's
                    Moose
                    aka Glenn

Comment

Glenn,
                      The -51 would not be original to a 50 model. I believe it was first used on a 52. A -51B is the
                      is the third version of that muffler, I don't know when the -51B started.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                        i've been told by many the stock muffler on the 50 had the 51 b number on it. come on guys lets give one up for the gipper

you can't take it with you U Hauls not allowed in cemetary's
                        Glenn,

A stock muffler for a 1950 pan does NOT have a 51b part number on it, It looks similar to a 51b muffler but it has no part number on it and the tip is longer on the back end like the picture that I posted earlier. Duo-Glide mufflers are the same as the harley mufflers that have the 51b part number (Short rear tip)on them but they don NOT have the part number stamped in them. The 51b mufflers were available new from harley in the 70's.

Comment

This is the muffler you need it has a -50 part number and is used from 1950-1957 you can see the difference in the picture of the Duo Glide. Look at the rear tip it also mentions this in palmers book, he refers to the Duo Glide muffler as the shorter muffler.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Is there a good reproduction of the '50-'57 muffler ?
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                            X