No announcement yet.

Should the club move from Reinbeck to a new location? POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I've heard personaly and read here, I wouldn't go to the Rhinebeck meet if I was offered free vending spaces and paid travel costs. The Viking Chapter meet was the complete opposite. Come and go as you please, enyoy the food and beverage you brought with, and a friendly laid back atmosphere. Law enforcement was present, but the men in blue seemed to be enjoying the people and motorcycles as much as the rest of us. No bad attitudes. I sold over half of what I brought and had a really good time.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Well as it stands now 80% of the Club members who voted DO NOT WANT to have the meet held in Rhinebeck's Dutchess county fairgrounds. Hmmm Maybe we should here from the AMCA board members as to what they think about it.
      Oz

BTW The vote should be for the venue not the location, The Town of Rhinebeck is Beautiful, Easy access, But the Dutches County Fairgrounds is the problem, it is a privately owned facility & can operate under their own rules, this is more of a Motorcyle, Hot rod, Farm Show, not an AMCA meet, & should be billed as such.
      Last edited by 45OZ; 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I'm not going to vote because I have never been to the Rhinebeck meet. However, you have to listen to the people who do go to Rhinebeck. National AMCA meets are, first and foremost, for AMCA members so making those members happy is the first priority. The AMCA board should be interested but it's regional chapters that do the work and actually make a meet like Rhinebeck happen. The AMCA board is not responsible for all the evil in this world.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Both times I went it was a pain in the butt to leave. I don't think that I am that much of a fan of the venue myself. I didn't go back after worrying about being able to get out at that specific window of time. Last time I was stuck by traffic and it passed the bewitching hour and worried that now I can't go on to my reserved camping location at Laconia. It was way too stressful. I always liked the Harmony meet. Wauseon is always fun and Oley is fun too. Somehow we need to get something a little more relaxed, I hate too many rules. The members who put it on do a great job on the meet, however that location is two thumbs down in my book.
          Denise

Comment

As an one of the organizers of the Southern National meet I think it's important to try and keep everyone happy, including the vendors, spectators, and workers. And being a biker all my life, I can't stand too many rules (laws). I haven't been to Rhinebeck so I can't comment on the meet, but I can tell you come to the Southern National and you wont be told when you can come and go, and we will strive to make the meet as user friendly as possible for everyone. We may not have the "circus" atmosphere, but do have one of the coolest venues of any of the meets. I'll be posting some pictures of this years meet soon in the photos section.
            Louie
            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

The 10 am gate rule is a bit much. It does have a carnival like atmosphere, and I was entertained. I can't comment too much because I don't see what goes on behind the scenes. It reminds me of a tourist attraction, especially when I saw two school buses of kids pull up and go in. Every year I go back though. I guess its better to be a buyer not a seller. Thanks to all that pull it off.
              1959 XLCH

Comment

hello, as someone whom has never posted on here, i felt i should about this topic. this was our second year at rhinebeck, and stayed at the camping area. while the size of the meet is great, with many vendors, i feel that the fairgrounds is a little too strict on things.
                upon arrival at 11am Thursday i was told we cant get in until noon. no big deal, but why didn't any paper work say this, i would have left later. then when let in my camping costs me another $30.00 for some unknown reason, plus 15 ea admission(the admission i can almost understand-but i preregistered for camping) then, before i can even back my large motorhome into a spot- after traveling down very narrow aisles right past a huge gate to camping- a fairgrounds worker is sternly telling me about how i cant have my awning out and how my gas grill is an open flame and i cant use it. then he proceeds to ride back on his gold cart a dozen times telling me and those around me of the ever fast changing rules. beyond that it wasn't too bad until i went to leave Sunday am and had to wiggle my way back to the other gate, past a beautifully large gate straight out of camping. now i have no problem abiding by the rules, i understand they are there for a reason, but i didn't have my parking brake on before i was told of the rules i hadn't even had a chance to break yet. and when i mentioned that many of us around did not appreciate some of this hardship, i was told that mabey the facility wouldn't be available for the club next year. an idle threat, but a threat nonetheless. any way that is my rant. i do want to thank those that work so hard to put it on, saw many nice bikes got some parts, and lots of pictures. my vote is also same area, different venue.

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
                  As an one of the organizers of the Southern National meet I think it's important to try and keep everyone happy, including the vendors, spectators, and workers. And being a biker all my life, I can't stand too many rules (laws). I haven't been to Rhinebeck so I can't comment on the meet, but I can tell you come to the Southern National and you wont be told when you can come and go, and we will strive to make the meet as user friendly as possible for everyone. We may not have the "circus" atmosphere, but do have one of the coolest venues of any of the meets. I'll be posting some pictures of this years meet soon in the photos section.

I've been wating for some one to post some photos of the rat's and choppers from this years theme
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
                    never been to reinbeck for all the reasons listed above . always sounded like some fashion show for a swap meet .if i'm gonna ride distance to a amca meet it's gonna be the southern meet again . the location couldn't be better

Comment

I sure agree with that. The Southern National meet is the best venue on the AMCA roster.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Dixon is a winner too! Quaint setting in a small towns Fairgrounds; no fences, no admission for shoppers, plenty of free parking, free BBQ for the vendors who set up on Thurs, Judging in the shade, and lots of small meet comradery and familyness. Gary Stark sets up a huge inflatable movie screen, and shows free biker movies at night, while the vendor across from him churns out popcorn from a vintage machine. A family of owls live in the trees above the main building, and provide excellent dusk entertainment. I've been known to pass out a few free Manhattans before the banquet also.
                        Dixon, a great meet, with the warm cozy feel.
                        RF.

Comment

all the national meets are great with the exception of the rinebeck meet,I've been going since the first meet there and when Steve Sicalone was in charge things went as with every other national, very smooth as long as you had some paperwork,after the coalition took over thats when the trouble began with the rules of the fairground taking over,and my paper work for my spaces disapiared as well I now have a large tree on one of my new 3 spots and its in the middle space so setting up a tent for rain or sun is impossible the fair grounds are overrated and as you can see the vendors aren't go happy with the gate fee or when you can leave,I'm glad the yankee chapter has there national meet back so make plans for next year
                          Last edited by bill campbell; 06-15-2011, 05:49 AM.

Comment

You know Fred, a free Manhattan is worth the drive again. Maybe next summer I will reward myself with a trip across the US. A ride around the area had me sold, vineyards everywhere and a nice tavern in town for grub and cocktails while running errands. It was very special, and it occurs during summer vacation.
                            Denise

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
                              Dixon is a winner too! Quaint setting in a small towns Fairgrounds; no fences, no admission for shoppers, plenty of free parking, free BBQ for the vendors who set up on Thurs, Judging in the shade, and lots of small meet comradery and familyness. Gary Stark sets up a huge inflatable movie screen, and shows free biker movies at night, while the vendor across from him churns out popcorn from a vintage machine. A family of owls live in the trees above the main building, and provide excellent dusk entertainment. I've been known to pass out a few free Manhattans before the banquet also.
                              Dixon, a great meet, with the warm cozy feel.
                              RF.
                              I am looking forward to Dixon this week.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I don't understand the admission fees. My first couple of years at Eustis was free, then a donation to park. OK great. Only to Davenport once in 2000, don't remember a fee(but getting older). Been to Oley twice, no fee I remember. Jefferson several times, no fee. Wauseon 5 times, fee for parking at gate, minimual and no problem to help with expenses. I thought AMCA meets were a no admission charge. Just at Springfield OH Walnecks meet last weekend and only $6 to get in and $40 to sell. I know alot of work goes in to an event, and I have no problem paying a 'parking fee' to cover fairground rental costs but an actual admission fee doesn't seem right. Another thought- I know we want the club to grow with younger members, but why can't we have a meet with just club members and not open to the general public? What is the point of joining to swap parts and knowledge, when anyone can just walk in and do the same. Why can't we have the commoradity between members only. I can always go to a 'general' swap meet just like I did this past weekend. I mean- why join the club if there are not club specific benefits during the swap meets? Bob AMCA#6738
                                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                                X