No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Either that last photo was taken a little later or patina became popular earlier than I thought!!! Great stuff duffey!!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• OOOH OOOOH OOOOOOH !!!! Please Father Christmas can I have one , I promise to be good and look after it and ride it lots !!!!! May I wish you all a happy Christmas and great riding New Year , Ken
      Ken

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• That is a well accessorized 1915 Excelsior, but the owner could have sprung for the Splitdorf mag/dyno electrical system that was a '15 only option. Great pictures Duffy.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

• It's good to see this thread revived. Thanks again Duffey!!!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• Dunkirk NY

This was sent to me from a guy that I work with a friend of his said that his grandfather is on the right side in the photo ...notice the Dayton on the Left side end He said the photo was taken around 1910
                I am not 100% sure but it seems a bit newer to me maybe 1915?

HD_Indian_Motorcycles_(Dunkirk_NY)_ca_1910.jpg
                Last edited by Chuck#1848; 12-15-2012, 07:00 AM.
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

• Excelsior Fun!

Comment

• Nice . . . I alwayz knew Xs could ride on water. You just need to put a lot of air in the tires.

Bob Turek

Comment

• '13 Henderson

Comment

• What a fantastic picture Duffy. Again, thank you for going to the effort of sharing your collection with us. I am curious about something; I've seen that shade of gray tire in many old black and white photographs. Do you think that tire was gray rubber, or cinnamon colored rubber?
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

• No clue,never thought about that.does not look black against those wheels.Creepy eye pops

Comment

• Most of the early tires were a grey shade. Today's "white" tires are just wrong and suitable for show fields. But they got trendy in the '60s when tire makers started selling white tires because the old tires 'looked' white in early photos like that of the Henderson.

Until 'modern' vulcanization methods came about, which included, I think, adding carbon to the tires, the natural rubber tended to be a battleship grey, plus or minus a few shades. Look at tire ads beginning in the late teens and you will start to see 'improved' rubber and similar advertising for the latest vulcanization methods. That's when tires started to go black. I am not sure if WW1 had anything to do with it, either. Because the change was around that time.

Remember, too, that the early film emulsions were not panchromatic. In other words, they did not differentiate shades/colors as well as the later film. It can seriously distort certain colors and shades. Yellow's in particular, but something one shade of grey could easily look white -- or black -- depending on the film used. Again, I'd have to look up when fully panchromatic film came in, but I think it was in the '30s for B&W.

I don't know about you guys... but I'd seriously consider giving up a body part for that Henderson. Wow.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

• There is something about those Detroit Hendersons! I have given copies to three clubmembers with '13s,most recently Chicago Hen before he passed.It makes me feel good that I gave him a couple of smiles ,this and info for his '33 and '34 4cyl Indians.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                                This was sent to me from a guy that I work with a friend of his said that his grandfather is on the right side in the photo ...notice the Dayton on the Left side end He said the photo was taken around 1910
                                I am not 100% sure but it seems a bit newer to me maybe 1915?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10083[/ATTACH]
                                Great photo Chuck!!! Do you think the "other" brands were put on either side on purpose? That photo is definitely post 1910!!!
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X