No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I'll bet this Merkel joined the previous Curtiss. If a guy needs help balancing a motorcycle it's sure to end in disaster.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

• maybe they were having a "learn how to ride day" like yamaha did in the 70's

Comment

• I'm thinking that to a lot of folks in those days these new contraptions called motorcycles were a new and unknown form of transportation. The ones without any fear probably took to motorcycles like ducks to water, but to many it was probably a pretty uncertain way to travel. Is this two wheeled machine actually going to propel me down this dirt lane? Am I going to run into a telegraph pole or ditch? Will I run myself over? I have to be very careful and maybe Jim Bob can help get me started... etc...etc....

On a side note.......that sure is a cool Merkel........ it's looking pretty darn new.......
        Last edited by c.o.; 05-05-2009, 09:38 PM.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Or maybe he's thinking.." If I hit something, I'm going to impale myself on these skinney ,narrow handlebars " That thought occured to me the other night as I sat on
          my mocked up 1912 HD single for the first time.....Rod

Comment

• I'm thinking ya gotta think of it as your running a rototiller just a little less agressive. So your up to mock up are ya Rod? Great stuff! Here's a '12 I was drooling over a couple weeks ago. It's a little shinier than I usually like, but I wasn't complaining that day!

Oops! I guess this isn't an old photo........but at least the bike is........
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• Partial credit as the mural in the back ground appears to be an old photo
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

• Thanks for cutting me some slack Brian..... Here's a little better shot of the photo behind the machine....... If you see this exeric, I guess I had another partial shot of the machine that you were curious about....

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

• My 12 won't be that pretty. I'm at the rough mock up stage. Spent all winter making the repro parts and original parts mate up. Motor is'nt in yet but sheet metal is on, seat and bars
                  are on and it's sitting on it's tires. I can't pedal it very far in the basement without knocking sonething over....Rod

Comment

• I've actually got quite a few pics of that machine if you wanted copies sent to you Rod. But I guess if your basically mocked up then your past the researchin' stage. I'm kinda glad your not gonna fancy it up too much.....there is in my mind anyway such a thing as too shiney. Have you taken pictures of yours yet? In case you haven't noticed I'm pretty darn curious......
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Hi Cory... I've had this project laying around for at least 25 years or more.
                      At last count I had 165 picts. from AMCA meets and off the net.and I'm still rescearching.
                      All the orignal parts I'm going clean up and leave in their present state,and the repro sheet metal, ect I'll paint in proper shade of grey. No striping, maybe some tank decals so people know what it is. And then I'm going to ride it and have fun with it. When I get the motor in I'll try to post a photo if I can figure how...Rod

Comment

• Cool! Glad to hear it's not going to be an art object. I'm pretty sure you'll have fun on it
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• it looks like only on hand on the bars

Comment

• Yeah, it does like he's doing a one hander...... streamlining or playing cool guy, not sure. Check out the dust those other guys are eating behind him. The only good place to be on a dirttrack in those days was up front!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                              Yeah, it does like he's doing a one hander...... streamlining or playing cool guy, not sure. Check out the dust those other guys are eating behind him. The only good place to be on a dirttrack in those days was up front!
                              C'mon now Guys,...
                              YOUR hand has never gone numb?

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Parker View Post
                                it looks like only on hand on the bars
                                Any idea the date and location of this photo?? I am reading Herbert Wagner's excellent and informative book "At The Creation", and this photo looks like it could fall right into the storyline!
                                Incidentally, I believe this photo is reversed. If you use a photo-editing software and flip it horizontally, suddenly the writing becomes legible. It appears to have a date of 1910 or 1911 (was written over) and 'perhaps' the words "Motor Cycling, Hammond (?)"

Here, see what you think:

Last edited by Rooster; 05-07-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X