Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n j state police museum

Originally posted by Hrdly-Dangrs View Post
    Moose, is that pic of your dad taken in New Jersey? Anything from NJ that you could put on the NJHMCS site. Hrdly (George)
    need to get down an see the curator at nj state police museum for some pics , mostly vl's or panheads . not much on knucks or big flatties . can also check the bike plate # against there info

Comment

• I have really enjoyed everybody posting their one of a kind historic photos. Thank you to you all. What a great thread. Here is a photo that I hope our Canadian friends will recognize. It was post marked Oct. 20, 1912. Prince Albert Park. I have tried to google some information with no luck. Does anybody know what city this was lcoated in? The person who sent the postcard was Julius to a Mr. Earnest Stafnaw in North Freedom, Wi.
      He was writing to Earnest to save him some squirrels and to tell him he went duck hunting.

Dick
      Attached Files

Comment

• Cool pic........thanks for posting it Dick! I'm just taking a stab at this...it seems to me that that track may be located in the province of Saskatchewan. Is there a postmark on the card? Prince Albert is a city in the north/central part of the province. Tom Wilcock frequents this forum and has some knowledge of early Canadian racetracks. Maybe you can chime in Tom? It's funny when you look at early pics from north of the 49th , you see mostly Indians and Excelsiors. Fred Deeley imported Harleys into Canada starting in 1917. I've always had the understanding that he was the first guy to import to this country. I guess this would explain why I'm not tripping over Silent Gray Fellows!!!
        Last edited by c.o.; 01-20-2009, 07:26 PM.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• My 1913 Harley was originally sold new in Hamilton Ontario . I was new in Prince Albert Saskatchewan in 1949. I doubt this race took place there.

Comment

• Glad you chimed in Barry. You've got me curious now. I've always heard that Fred Deeley was the initial importer. Is that inaccurate? Maybe I have the dates wrong. That '13 of yours is a fine machine. How much history do you know about it? It's kind of cool to hear it was an Ontario bike.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
              My 1913 Harley was originally sold new in Hamilton Ontario . I was new in Prince Albert Saskatchewan in 1949. I doubt this race took place there.
              This is pretty close to home for me Barry my wife grew up in Buffalo,and use to work for the BH&T she still has a friend that lives in Hamilton We live 35 miles south of Buffalo any chance you could post a picture of your 13?

Sorry to be a pain but.........I Just can't get enough of the teens bikes
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

• What i can tell you is that I am told I am the third owner. old bike guru Tom Wilcock probably knows more than I do about my bike! of course he has a lovely 12 single. The story is the original owner bought it in Hamilton, was killed in WW1, his brothers kept it until the 60's when early bike collector Dave Choate acquired it through a trade deal with an early 30's Chrysler that they specifically wanted. I bought it 10 or so years later. Years ago I bought the remains of another, 13, and a 14, a 15 a 16, and a 17 all from the same place in southern Ontario and they had all been there a very long time! With an indian factory up and running in Toronto pre ww1 it is most certain many Harleys were sold in Toronto and vicinity.There were quite a few British bikes as well. I have a brochure showing a line of "Browns" at exhibition park lined up for a race! Also read in one of my early mags of a "hill climb" near Toronto with no less than 3 W.E Brough bikes entered! That is no less than astounding since there are only a handfull of these left anywhere. Maybe the remains of one of these is lurking in some Toronto basement or carriage house now! If you look at bike registrations for Canada in those early years Toronto was the hotbed.

Comment

• Cory,
                  From what I understand Fred Deeley was the first DISTRIBUTOR, which is quite different than the first importer. He negotiated a deal for exclusivity and was quite successful at it. In the early days all the manufacturers sold to dealers directly. And as Barry pointed out ,Indian even licensed production on their products.
                  Robbie
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• barry ,thats an interesting 13 twin there.does it have drum brake on the rear?if so how do you start it?are the floorboards correct,is it a late 13?
                    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Thanks for the story Barry........ I can listen to that stuff 24/7! Oh, and Rub......thanks for clearing my head. A guy gets hung up on something and sometimes it takes just a few sentences to clear things up!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                        If you look at bike registrations for Canada in those early years Toronto was the hotbed.]
                        And here I thought the hotbed was in Morinville, Alberta!!

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• Thanks Barry

That bike looks to be in fantastic shape for the age of it and you also picked up parts for another 13? the 14,15,16 and 17 are complete or various stages?
                          couldn't help but notice you have some hog patches pined to the beam also see you collect license plates the wife refers to it a debre collecting when we travel on vacations we stop at yard sales,flea markets and antique shops I look for anything motorcycle related like plates have a fair amount from the different states that we have been to and picked up a 1957 Nova Scotia plate in 2001 when we headed to the north atlantic area when I bought a 2001 roadglide and sidecar.........brought the daughter to.

Thanks again for the photo of the 13!
                          Chuck
                          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

• Great photos Cory don't know how you find em but please keep em comming....suppose to get more "teens" weather and snow I gotta keep myself occupied.
                            Chuck
                            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

• Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                              barry ,thats an interesting 13 twin there.does it have drum brake on the rear?if so how do you start it?are the floorboards correct,is it a late 13?
                              Lonnie, very perceptive question! Little known and never seen is the "clip on footboard and band brake attachment " accessory offered by Harley in their 1918-19 accessory catalogue for 1912 and 1913 models. In fact I think my bike has the only known full kit, the only one I or anyone else I know has ever seen! Of course other rare options are the tandem attachment and extra tank top tool box complete with all the tools although I have not been able to verify this tool box is a genuine HD accessory I had it off once and it appears to have been there probably since new! There is also an aftermarket "sight gauge " in the crankcase emulating the Indian practice. You should have this bike for your museum. Do you know who bought the beautiful 15 at Vegas? I wonder if they would like my 13 as well?

Comment

• Hi just a sidebar here being from Winnipeg. In 1910 there were over 200 motorcycles licensed in the area and that number grew to over a 1,000 by 1913. By 1911 some of the biggest names in motorcycle racing in our country were competing at the famous kirkfield track which dates back to at least 1908. The 1911 registrations show at least 2 Detroits, many Harley's. Indians ,excelsiors,merkles and even cyclones(yes that's right I said Cyclone) At least 10 different dealers were inporting these brands and several sold and serviced harley. Our first harley dealership was 1912 Northwest Cycle and was in busines to well into the 70's. Joe Baribeau in October 1911 was the first to average 60 miles an hour over a 100 miles on the nationally famous Kirkfield track( mounted on an Indian with an auxillary oil tank mounted on the rear carrier) in west Winnipeg. It was said that even barney Oldfield had once raced there. This premier track in Canada hosted many famous races on both 2 and 4 wheels with many CMA championships held there. I could go on and on about this period here but who knows it could be the kirkfield track. There were many postcards made of scenes with motorcycles from those race days and the Joe baribeau one is most collectable in these parts. Remember in this era we were to be the next Chicago of the North Cheers
                                Last edited by Ross; 01-22-2009, 12:25 PM.
                                Ross

Comment

Working...
                                X