old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS to the above:
    The Moxie soft drink co. used to promote their product by sending out their salesmen in "Moxie Horsemobiles", which were large touring cars with plaster horses in them from which the salesmen drove via a steering wheel through the horses mane. You needed a "lot of Moxie" to drive one. Obviously, there was at least one Moxie Horsemocycle.
    Pete

Comment

• Great picture Pete. I didn't know Moxie used motorcycles. I saw a restored Moxie Packard years ago and you're right, it would take some Moxie and a disconnected self preservation instinct to drive one of those contraptions. The motorcycle is a 1919 Henderson Z2. It's 1919 becuase it has the famous Excelsior double acting brake.

Comment

• Pete, great photo of the Moxie. Always like seeing commercial use motorcycle rigs. Here's one from New Jersey. Hrdly
        Attached Files

Comment

• Glenn Curtiss

"Glenn Curtiss had an early interest in bicycles, and opened a bicycle shop in Hammondsport, New York. Not content to sell bicycles, he was soon building his own products, and designing new models. When small, one cylinder motors were put on bicycles, he left the world of bicycles and entered the world of engines and motorcycles. He designed his own lightweight engines, and the motorcycles they powered. In 1907 Curtiss drove a motorcycle with an air cooled V-8 engine to a speed of 136 miles an hour. The engine delivered 40 hp, and weighed 275 pounds. According to a Scientific American article of the day, the motorcycle experienced a broken universal joint at 90 mph, which buckled the frame. The record made him the fastest human on a motorcycle or car, until a car beat that speed 11 years later. A motorcycle would not beat that speed until 1930. Curtiss' speed was actually slower than an earlier Stanley Steamer that achieved 140- 150 mph, but that run was not an officially timed event." From http://patentpending.blogs.com/paten...nts/index.html

Notice the handle bar cross-bracing to the front axle hub. Prevents wheel wobble at high speeds.

Want to get your pant’s leg caught in that rear bevel gear? More about the aircraft side of Glenn Curtis:
          http://www.galenfrysinger.com/glenn_...ndsport_ny.htm

Comment

• I would love to hear the V8 Curtis run. Push start-no clutch? What a ride.

Comment

• I didn't notice any brakes either. Curtiss must have been a lot like Howard Hughes. All you needed back then was guts and gasoline!

mike

Comment

• You don't require brakes with this bike, you just drop the trottle back and those huge gears will slow you down. One gear, one brake...

Comment

• Just wondering if the V8 bike is the real thing or a repop?

Comment

• Originally posted by LouieMCman
                    Just wondering if the V8 bike is the real thing or a repop?
                    'replica of the motorcycle on which Glenn Curtiss became "the fastest man in the World"' from the link beneath the picture. ...bill

Comment

• You can see the rear brake pedal in the top pic and the brake in the bottom pic. If you are ever in the Finger Lakes area of New York go to the Curtis Museum. I rode my 37 Chief up there from Florida on the way to Indian Day 2001. It was worth the trip.

Comment

• My Harley W 45" in 1947

Here is a pic that I have been given from relatives of the first owner of what is now mine Harley 1939 W 45".

At this point the bike still have its original tank decals.

Sverre K. Gerber
                        Norway

Comment

• Another photo from 1947

This photo show my Harley on its way up the Norwegian mountain pass "Stalheim" , used to be one of the hardest mountain passes back then before there was tunnels trough all mountains.
                          The hotel in the background is still there.

Comment

• Another shot from 1947

Somewhere in Norway in 1947, still my thrusty 45" with a heavy "back packing",

Comment

• I took me a couple a days to figure out that there was a motorcyle in the photo.....
                              Attached Files

Comment

• There is?!?!

Comment

Working...
                                X