old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a couple I found that were labeled "Thor Boosters" :

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• Fantastic pictures Harry. Unfortunately, this is as close as we'll ever get to a time machine, but there are still many details, and a lot of atmosphere to glean from great pictures like these. Thanks.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

• Ha, Eric! I said to myself if someone notices those pictures then I'll put up a few more!

Comment

• I'm going to guess 1912 on the Indian, but I know what the Excelsior is; that is a 1919 Ex. The photo caption is wrong on the year, but I'm sure they're correct on the location Again, thank you Harry.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

• A time machine indeed! If we could go back for an hour or two, or a day. Or until we were ready to leave . . . ?
            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

• ... here's a little racing action I found...

Comment

• Two more great pictures Harry. The first is a Flying Merkel at speed.

The second picture is very interesting. We have H-D vs. Excelsior and it looks like street bikes, and amateur riders. . . . I'll bet an Excelsior won
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

• I have a question about the 4th H-D from the left. The tank looks bigger than the 2 Harleys to the left.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

• Loving that Flying Merkel pic. On the second what's that round thingie on the front just below the handle bar brace?
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

• I have a question about the 4th H-D from the left. The tank looks bigger than the 2 Harleys to the left.
                      Prototype "Fatboy"...
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Originally posted by rbenash View Post
                        Loving that Flying Merkel pic. On the second what's that round thingie on the front just below the handle bar brace?
                        I assume you're referring to the bike on the far right. It looks like a bicycle light, which are usually seen on earlier motorcycles than these. Bicycle lights were small, and often had a carbide generator built into the unit. Carbide was stored in the bottom of the can, and a water drip would create acetylene gas.

Fatboy; that's good Robbie
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

• ...here's a couple more:

Comment

• Thought I'd share this. I just purchased a Scout motor from a fellow in Norway, and he told me the story behind the engine he was selling me, and the story also included a Henderson. Seems his grandfather used to race his 101 Scout on frozen lakes in the winter, and one of his competition was a Henderson from Sweden. Years later when he tracked down the old Scout that his Grandfather owned, he also was given a photo of the Henderson his Grandfather used to race against. Here it is:

Comment

• Neat old picture - Thanks for posting it.

Jerry

Comment

• Excelsior Light Weight

Originally posted by exeric View Post

Rich, I saw parts of an Excelsior Light Weight years ago at Davenport but I have never seen a complete example, or know anyone that has one. Even in early trade magazines, you rarely see one, and then it's usually in an Excelsior dealer display. The ad I posted is from 1917. I too would love to see pictures if any of our AMCA members have an Excelsior Light Weight.
                                Eric, I bought a project at Wauseon years ago, but incomplete. Then the former owner of the parts called me and sold me his complete bike, which I painted Grey like a '16/'17 style. This is probably an '18/'19 Khaki Green, since it has 2 speed, foot-starter, footboards, and clutch like the late ones.
                                Pretty cool bike, and very rare. I will have to get it to an AMCA meet so it can be seen.
                                John
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X