Early Scrapbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Scrapbook

I was doing some searching the other day for something unrelated, but I happened to come upon a scanned scrapbook of the Capital City Wheelmen. This was an early bicycle club that eventually moved on to motorcycles and reformed into the Capital City Motorcycle Club, an organization that is still active here in Sacramento today. The book is mainly newspaper clippings, but much of the motorcycle news goes beyond just local stories. I haven't had time to go through the whole thing, but the little bit I saw looked interesting. Much of it is from the early teens. Thought some of you might enjoy. https://californiarevealed.org/islan.../cavpp%3A40780

I also "borrowed" a few items from the book to keep on my computer. Here's some samples of what's in the scrapbook...

Emil Fabian news story.jpg

Fred Clymer setting record.jpg

This picture says it was a "pie eating contest", held during or just after a race. The pie eaters appear to be the racers themselves!
    Pie eating contest during races at Sacramento Races.JPG
    Eric Olson
    Membership #18488

Thanks for sharing that Eric. Who knows how many excellent historical collections like scrapbooks can shed more light and interest on antique motorcycles. You especially hope they are preserved as was the Capitol City Motorcycle Club book that you found. Coincidentally I found an on-line copy that documents the history of the National Capitol Motorcycle Club of Washington DC. It was very interesting reading and had some great photos. I was able to download and save a copy. Interestingly there was a group photo for a field meet that turned out to be in my suburban community before post WWII development occurred. In it was a familiar name of a colleague. I asked him about the name and he said "Yes that's my father." I told him I found the photo of he and his 1930s era motorcycle with a group at a field meet. He was totally stunned. He and his brother were born in the 1940s and he had never seen any evidence nor heard discussion that his dad was a motorcycle guy.

Copy of the photo below

Mike Love

NCMC.jpg

Comment

Where was that, Mike?

Dale

Comment

Working...
      X