• 277a5216ed18d45afc363a2f03898510.jpg
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 278d74ae3cb9cb108066d1588352b16c_zps6cf41348.jpg
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• *M.A.D.*

fullsizeoutput_1855.jpeg

Last edited by JoJo357; 01-04-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Bay city sidecar.JPG
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Picture 1938 is a beauty. The bikes are Henderson KJ Streamline models, 1301 cc straight fours built only 1929-31. The car has California 1930 exempt plates as used by the Highway Patrol and Police authorities, and all three vehicles are painted in white. The sign behind the car says WASHINGTON in the top row but I can't make out the rest to guess the location. I would also wear a bow tie if sitting on one of these beauties. The bikes do not have the small 1929/30 headlamp but a larger one which is not the 1931 Motolamp, so maybe a Police special accessory. The red pursuit accessory lamp is on the left of the rider. The tanks still carry the Excelsior logo and not the CHP badge, so maybe local Police? Both bikes seem to have a dealer badge on the front mudguard. They are not identical, with different horns and different headlamp rim finishes. You can see the California made Hedberg siren mounted to the left rear of the right hand bike. Later CHP Harleys had the Hedberg siren on the right. The right hand bike looks to have a front speedometer drive gear in the spokes. Oh, the fun they must have had!

Comment

• 295A_2-Dick-OBrien-Photos-1930-1950-02_zpse9476ac6.jpg
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Good eye, Steve. As the owner of a 1930 KJ myself I also enjoyed that photo. Noticed a few more interesting things. The horn on the one next to the 1930 Model A Ford is not a Henderson item. It's similar to the 1931 Henderson horn but it's not that. Probably something from a car. The officer personalized his bike with the fender mounted airplane. The other bike appears to have the cutout relay on top of the Spiltdorf DU-7 generator. Normally the cutout relay is mounted under the front cover of the generator. Possibly it went bad and they just put on an external cutout relay. Those bikes really look good in white. The gasoline tanker in the back probably belonged to the Union Oil Company of California. Maybe someone can identify the police agency by the uniform or the badge. Thanks JoJo for posting the great picture.
                Dave

Comment

• 295A_5-Dick-OBrien-Photos-1950-1970-02_zps263024de.jpg

Somewhere between '54 and '63 I guess HD decided their anniversary date changed.
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Steve could that sign read :
                    "WASHINGTON BUS
                    PARK or maybe BANK EXCHANGE????

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                      Picture 1938 is a beauty. The bikes are Henderson KJ Streamline models, 1301 cc straight fours built only 1929-31. The car has California 1930 exempt plates as used by the Highway Patrol and Police authorities, and all three vehicles are painted in white. The sign behind the car says WASHINGTON in the top row but I can't make out the rest to guess the location. I would also wear a bow tie if sitting on one of these beauties. The bikes do not have the small 1929/30 headlamp but a larger one which is not the 1931 Motolamp, so maybe a Police special accessory. The red pursuit accessory lamp is on the left of the rider. The tanks still carry the Excelsior logo and not the CHP badge, so maybe local Police? Both bikes seem to have a dealer badge on the front mudguard. They are not identical, with different horns and different headlamp rim finishes. You can see the California made Hedberg siren mounted to the left rear of the right hand bike. Later CHP Harleys had the Hedberg siren on the right. The right hand bike looks to have a front speedometer drive gear in the spokes. Oh, the fun they must have had!
                      It looks to me like a street address and a phone number below. Something like:

11341 Washington Blvd.
                      Phone xx 1438

Wished a person could get photo analyzing software like I saw used in the servicce.

Jerry
                      Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 01-05-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Wish I could help,...

X91922B.JPG

Gas up Hens.jpg

.....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-05-2022, 10:47 AM.
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Yes Thanks Cotten
                          Maybe "WADINGTON"
                          and a Phone #

Comment

• I have those photos and a couple more from that series. The caption that I have for them says "Venice police filling up with Purr-Pull gas, 11520 Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 1930". Enjoy!

Venice police filling up with Purr-Pull gas, 11520 Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 1930 1.jpg

Venice police filling up with Purr-Pull gas, 11520 Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 1930 2.jpg

Venice police filling up with Purr-Pull gas, 11520 Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 1930 3.jpg

Venice police filling up with Purr-Pull gas, 11520 Washington Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 1930 4.jpg
                            Eric Olson
                            Membership #18488

Comment

• Yes, Venice, CA just prior to LA annexing.

Comment

• WOW!
                                What "Police Accessory" is that on the front fender on the one with the dark headlight rim??

Comment

Working...
                                X