Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to start a war. This will never live up to the old Vintage pics as long as its still called that. What if we change the name of it and start a new legacy. I am not the one to come up with a new name but maybe "Pics from the past" or "Antique and classic pics" or you come up with something.

Comment

• Can't get into the thumbnails personally.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• I agree with you Robbie, I much prefer seeing a full photo when i open a post.

Comment

• Yep, those small pics are hard on old eyes. Can you fix it, Mike?

Comment

• I can ask for access and permissions in the future to be able to change settings - that is real limited now. I will do that when we get our software upgrade.

Are member expressing that they want to be able to just scroll through and see the image in full size? Yes currently you need to click on the thumbnail to brig it to the full capable size. Again we will need to wait and see what upgraded features the new software will offer. Member Jon N. does all the behind the scenes work on the automated systems and he is still working on an upgrade.

Mike Love

Comment

• Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
              Very interesting photo! From the motorcycle, to the architectural details of the firehouse windows and the house next door, and to the truck with its two-triangle logo on the top of the radiator shell and what appear to be wooden spoke wheels. Nice clear picture but I don't see our man Kirby in the crowd!
              So here are two more images of the Milwaukee FD with their motorcycles. I was appreciative of the responsiveness from the Milwaukee Fire Historic Society.

Jim from the MFHS said this first photo is from their Fire Station "Engine 24." He indicated he thought it was from the "teens." It may be a different motorcycle from the earlier photos I included. I only say that because it is missing the ooh-ga horn on the handlebars.

121561992_3486167444784570_7838713668073784457_n (1).jpg

This photo as Jim said is

a Harley at MFD station 32. This picture was likely taken in the winter of 1915.
              121695663_859328514603752_2227155067865432217_n.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - October 22, 2020

Another motorcycle at work.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.04.38 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Are member expressing that they want to be able to just scroll through and see the image in full size? Yes currently you need to click on the thumbnail to brig it to the full capable size.
                  -
                  Yes, like the old CAImag where those of us with old eyes could scroll through BIG photos.
                  I seem to recall that being the case with the AMCA Forum a few years back-faulty memory?
                  Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

• Caimag had the same issue, if one were to post to the Caimag site directly, for the Caimag site to host the picture, then you got a thumbnail to click for a larger view. But the folks that regularly posted to the Caimag (..and thanks to those guys!) "Vintage Pictures of the Day" always utilized photo hosting sites....and then their pictures showed up full size in the post instead of as a thumbnail needing to be clicked. It's all about server capacity, the more giga-whats you store on your server the more it costs you to host a website.
                    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                      Caimag had the same issue, if one were to post to the Caimag site directly, for the Caimag site to host the picture, then you got a thumbnail to click for a larger view. But the folks that regularly posted to the Caimag (..and thanks to those guys!) "Vintage Pictures of the Day" always utilized photo hosting sites....and then their pictures showed up full size in the post instead of as a thumbnail needing to be clicked. It's all about server capacity, the more giga-whats you store on your server the more it costs you to host a website.
                      Oh yeah, forgot about that part. Photobucket or one of the other photo-things that made a habit of losing your photos if you didn't pay the ransom...
                      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

• Looks like the Milwaukee fire engine has SEAGRAVE on the left hand door. And the white Servicar has 1934 Ohio plates, so an early one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                          Looks like the Milwaukee fire engine has SEAGRAVE on the left hand door. And the white Servicar has 1934 Ohio plates, so an early one.
                          Seagrave is one of the first manufacturers of fire apparatus and is still in business today - probably the last one from the originals. Coincidentally they ended up moving early from Columbus Ohio where they originated to Clintonville, WI. a bit NW of Milwaukee.

Mike Love

Comment

• Peffley Ford was In Dayton, Ohio.

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - October 23, 2020

Things go better with Coke - Not sure if this was delivery from the bottler or if it is some local use vehicle.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.10.39 AM copy 2.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - October 24, 2020

Can anyone recognize the guy on the custom trike in the background turned toward the camera? Wonder if these cycles are still around?

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.48.23 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                                X