This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Can you just imagine the COST of building a Wooden Board track today?
    Much less labor costs maintaining it, Jim!

Can you imagine hitting the boards by Hoefeler's head in this pic at a mile a minute?

2drom3aug301914john-b-hoefeler-paul-schmidt.jpg
    (Next to Hoefeler is presumed teammate Paul Schmidt, whom I have pictured upon the same machine.)

....Cotten
    PS: I think NOTSUOH is a town in Texas.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-13-2021, 08:05 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Young board track men certainly had the big 'what it takes'. I think alot of respect needs to be given for their ambition, endurance and promotion of the sport, all giving their life expediency. 'The Speed Kings' by Don Emde is a well presented book and a definite read for anyone interested in early boardtrack/ motordrome racing. Incredible book with alot of research.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Originally posted by FNG1 View Post
        I'm curious. Any information on #1102? Thanks
        I looked through my 'The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle' and didn't find anything at first glance. Will look more, would be nice to know. A very interesting motorbike.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
          Can you just imagine the COST of building a Wooden Board track today?
          If you read the book by Don Emde it states the costs back when and they built a track in like 2 weeks. Modern EPA and 'building' guidelines wouldn't allow such progress.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Picture 1102 looks like a Phelon and Moore in World War 1. My edition of the New Illustrated Encyclopedia of Motorcycles says P&M (later Panther) patented the idea of the engine as a structural member in 1900 and licensed it out to Humber in the early days. The P&M was adopted as the standard dispatch rider bike in 1914 by the Royal Flying Corps, later the RAF. The bikes would be 500 cc side valve singles, then later 555 cc. The 600 and later 650 cc Panthers ran all the way to 1967, and were built in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire. The book shows a Royal Automobile Club bike from the 1920s looking very similar, with the same acetylene lighting setup and horn. The AW license plate series is from Shropshire, England, and ran from 1903-1921, so interpolation would suggest this is a teens bike.

Comment

• Possibly the same bike. P&M 001.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                Can you imagine hitting the boards by Hoefeler's head in this pic at a mile a minute?

....Cotten
                Yes, unfortunately I can imagine it but I try not to. Also hate to contemplate just how those boards got damaged in the first place!

Comment

• Maldwyn Jones talked about the poor condition of many board tracks. He recalled a track with holes, and missing boards where the heads of young boys would pop up to watch the race.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

• Thanks BigLakeBob, Steve Slocombe , and Tom Wilcok for the info on #1102.

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - May 14, 2021

Henderson Four, Washington DC Metropolitan Police near old Griffith Stadium

Mike Love

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 2.09.08 PM copy.jpg ​​​​​​​

Comment

• 2e157c31e11e346c8c11dab867bacd21.jpgForget the board track how about telegraph poles.
                        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 2e241e4cbc7912b6ae05ba15a55aaa1b.jpg
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• 2ec4f8bb2671b96df7660d0e890d9af1.jpg
                            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                              Forget the board track how about telegraph poles.
                              I wonder what happens when he gets to the top!
                              Last edited by Peter Cooke; 05-14-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• A very young Barry Sheene, w/o his Gary*=Nixon t-shirt.

*M.A.D.*

81895444_3485921114814066_1659399003227291648_o.jpg
                                Last edited by JoJo357; 05-14-2021, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X