Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the race bikes tilt the tank more than stock bikes?
    AMCA #41287
    1972 Sportster project
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

• Armando Magri and Jack Cottrell both hold onto the trophy, but who won?
      The answer is Cottrell, Magri finished second that day.

Comment

• Originally posted by joe fxs fxr View Post
        Did the race bikes tilt the tank more than stock bikes?
        No, exact same location.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Magri did finish !st but they awarded it to Cottrell because the referee messed up. Armando would tell you the same as he did me but unfortunately he's no longer with us. Hence the reason they were both holding it. True story.
          DrSprocket

Comment

• Originally posted by RichO View Post
            Magri did finish !st but they awarded it to Cottrell because the referee messed up. Armando would tell you the same as he did me but unfortunately he's no longer with us. Hence the reason they were both holding it. True story.
            Well, reports of the day say Cottrell took the lead at lap 152 and went unchallenged from there. There was a scoring issue reported that affected 3rd and 4th places but I find nothing to say Cottrell's win was questioned.

1939 Oakland 200 pt1.jpg

1939 Oakland 200 pt2.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by badger34 View Post

Well, reports of the day say Cottrell took the lead at lap 152 and went unchallenged from there. There was a scoring issue reported that affected 3rd and 4th places but I find nothing to say Cottrell's win was questioned.
              Read Armando's biography which I've posted here. I wasn't there as the race happened before my father was even born, but Armando's recounting sure sounds believable to me. Go to page 4 for the story about the '39 race. https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...-and-now/page4

Eric Olson
              Membership #18488

Comment

• tumblr_nspd6mRwJw1s6jfreo1_1280.jpg
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Originally posted by EricOlson View Post

Read Armando's biography which I've posted here. I wasn't there as the race happened before my father was even born, but Armando's recounting sure sounds believable to me. Go to page 4 for the story about the '39 race.
                  Thanks for prompting me to go back and read from the biography, I agree it's a very believable story. I always seek and archive period print information and the above articles in my post above are what was presented in the Oakland newspapers. Additionally it's interesting Armando recalls AMA officials reviewing the master list until 1am and notifying him of a race victory, but the second article that I posted above was printed Oct 4th three days after the race noting officials re-checked the master list resulting in a change of 3rd & 4th places only ignoring the referee's 1am revelation that Armando was the winner.

Comment

• I wasn't going to say any more but you can't always believe what you hear or read but when you hear it from the man who was involved in it and he was as honest as the day is long you've got to just go with it. Something to remember thank you!
                    DrSprocket

Comment

• Thanks for the above Rich!

I don't want anyone feel that they can't reply to something I post comfortably or I'm close-minded and absolute in what I post. No history buff should ever be unwilling to review all materials presented. I was going with the period print information that I had found and presented, but from now on I will always look at the race results of that event and photo of Armando & Jack differently wondering what the heck really went on that day!

Comment

• Badger34, You might find this interesting. There is a poster on the wall in my garage/shop when it was made I know not but I have had it for at least 40 years. It is a photo of Jack Contrell covered in oil, goggles in hand, and his steel shoe still affixed to his left foot. He is tired and plumb wore out. Below the photo is the poem, "The Man in the Iron Shoe" by none other than one of the AMC's founding fathers, Emmett Moore. It's the first thing I see when I open the door and the last thing I see when I close it. True story. I, like you love history especially two wheeled. I was our club historian for some 40 years. You like to find out thing's so here's a list of my favorite local hero's. Armando Magri (pretty well covered here by Mr.Olsen), Joe Petrali (covered everywhere), Al Lauer. Paul Albrecht, Shorty Tompkins, Mario Stillo, Cy Homer, and Harold Ball. All great guys, bold racers, and my hero's. Two not from this area but raced here many times and are on or near the top of my list is Jack Milne and Sam Arena. The only two I never got a chance to talk to were Cy and Mario. Mario died at the Galt track in 1947 I believe and Cy passed in the mid-seventies when I had just relocated here. Mario was Cy's good friend and at the following Galt race Cy took a lap with crossed checkered flags on this Sport Scout in his honor. Regards, Rich
                        DrSprocket

Comment

• Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post

Nice advertisement,

Comment

• tumblr_nspcxbpAht1s6jfreo1_1280.jpg
                            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• RichO, I did appreciate your comments above! I joined here 15 years ago seeking info on Wisconsin and H-D history due to my family history in the Milwaukee area and with the MoCo. I have now accumulated a digital archive of over 25,000 images that include advertising, documents, newspaper & trade magazine articles, photographs, etc. Everyday I'm adding to my files. While my focus is Wisconsin, of course looking into persons of interest or events & venues leads to national and occasionally worldwide searches. I like yourself enjoy racing, the personalities, venues and event history. I have researched west coast riders, mostly 1930's cinder track stars that came to Milwaukee and raced on a 1/5 mile cinder track that was located on the infield of the Milwaukee Mile in 1934 and 1935. My grandfather and his cousin raced an OHV Peashooter there at the time while both were also employed at the H-D factory and members of the Milwaukee MC. In one conversation that I had with my grandmother who also worked in the H-D factory we discussed racing figures, for example Johnny Spiegelhoff, Ray Tursky and Griff Kathcart. When I mentioned Joe Petrali she told me proudly that Joe had been a dinner guest in my grandparents home and that she had "prepared a meal" for him. I'm certain that my grandfather had known prominent racers through his position at H-D, having been an AMA official and officer in the Milwaukee MC. A few of the west coast guys that I have files on would be Ray Grant, Lloyd Spouts Elder, the Milne brothers and of course Joe Petrali.

Comment

• tumblr_nsh6reGp8h1sh016ho1_1280.jpg
                                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                                X