X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tumblr_nwseifrHVo1sh016ho1_1280.jpg
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Motorcycle rally: Warsaw - Gdynia - Warsaw. The first motorcycle reaches the finish line - 1933

3_1_0_14_1386_150247.jpg

Comment

• Thanks Jarek and that looks like a 1933 Harley VL. You can just see the front of the one-year 'bird' tank decal.

Comment

• tumblr_nwse64zZdv1sh016ho1_1280.jpg
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• The Servi-Car pic above was taken in Sheboygan Wisconsin at 11th St and Geele Ave., the building still remains.

Comment

• Thanks Badger and the Servi-Car looks like a '34. There sure are a lot of VLs and other 1930s bikes in this thread.

Comment

• tumblr_nwse5hForE1sh016ho1_1280.jpg
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Above pic in post #3923, the photo was taken on Highland Blvd in the background is Highland Park and the H-D factory. My best guess is these are Milwaukee Co. Sheriff Deputies circa 1934 and I will even go as far as saying my eyes tell me there's a very good possibility that the Deputy on the left mounted on Unit No. 1 is Irving Janke.

Comment

• Originally posted by badger34 View Post
                    Above pic in post #3923, the photo was taken on Highland Blvd in the background is Highland Park and the H-D factory. My best guess is these are Milwaukee Co. Sheriff Deputies circa 1934 and I will even go as far as saying my eyes tell me there's a very good possibility that the Deputy on the left mounted on Unit No. 1 is Irving Janke.
                    Thank You Badger34,
                    Good Eye. There is a lot of history with Irving Janke, original member of the "Wrecking Crew", many records and contributions:

Janke won $800 for his Dodge City victory, nearly $20,000 in today’s dollars.
                    World War I put motorcycle racing on hold for a couple of years and by the time racing resumed in earnest in 1919, Janke had mostly retired from the sport.
                    Janke, or “Yank” as his friends nicknamed him, eventually left Harley-Davidson and became a motorcycle police officer in Milwaukee in the early 1920s, retiring as deputy sheriff in 1954. In retirement he moved to Florida and died in St. Petersburg in January of 1957.
                    While a lesser known of the Harley Wrecking Crew, Janke should always be remembered for his 1916 Dodge City victory and for being the first national podium finisher on a Harley-Davidson.

Irving Janke.jpg Irving Janke #7.jpg Irving Janke II.png
                    Last edited by 1939wl; 05-03-2024, 11:46 AM.
                    Member # 8964

Comment

• From my snag collection, Folks,...

Irving Janke.jpg

Irving Janke and others.jpg
                      Shoes?

....Cotten
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-03-2024, 02:55 PM.
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Steve this is also looks lika VL but the picture not interesting - 1936

3_1_0_14_1410_150333.jpg

Comment

• Thanks Jarek and the bike looks like a 1930 VL with that tank paint scheme and the 'earlier 1930' two piece valve covers and forward right tank fuel filler. The headlight is of course non-factory, but some export bikes to Germany went without headlights so that Bosch units could be fitted to support local industry.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Steve Slocombe;n324106]Thanks Jarek and the bike looks like a 1930 VL with that tank paint scheme and the 'earlier 1930' two piece valve covers and forward right tank fuel filler. The headlight is of course non-factory, but some export bikes to Germany went without headlights so that Bosch units could be fitted to support local industry.[/QUOTE

You're right, this town was close to the German border at that time and maybe they bought a motorcycle there or a second-hand one.

Comment

• tumblr_nwn0vs4TL21sh016ho1_1280.jpg
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                              X