X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pem View Post
    More photos from Beaver Dam area.
    Dick, thanks for posting those fantastic Dodge Co. fairgrounds photos! I recognize Johnny Spiegelhoff on the #10 and I'm fairly certain that's Ray Tursky on the #29.

Agree with Eric rider pictured in post #268 is Erwin Baker.

Comment

• Your welcome. 20'sh years ago I hunted down as many photographs as I could find of Police/Sheriff dept. motorcycles in Dodge Co. The photos above were a bonus as I tracked down remaining family members. It wasn't easy. I suppose I should find those other photos. I also found a 1964 250 Honda Dream parade bike owned by a sheriff dept. deputy decked out in saddle bags, wind shield and crash bars and was 100% original(including like new tank badges)in really good shape with serial #400001 on the frame and serial #400002 on the motor. Boy, I should have kept that one.

Dodge Co. has a long history of early motorcycles to include 2 homemade motorcycles.

Eugene Pratch
      706 N. Spring St.
      Beaver Dam, Wi.
      No ser#, 2 1/2hp
      Reg.#1144
      08/13/1910

G. Maleek
      215 Main St.
      Beaver Dam, Wi.
      "Home Made"
      No ser#, 2 1/4hp
      Reg.#2041, 06/13/1910

Tried tracking down photos without any luck. People have been making homemade motor cycles for over 115 years.

Perry Mack used to drive to a friends farm in Dodge Co. to shoot his guns. Perry was a gun nut too. He also crashed one of his beloved Packard's in Dodge Co. One of his many crashes. He just loved going fast his whole life.

Dick
      Last edited by pem; 10-30-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
        The rider looks like Erwin Baker, and the motorcycle would be an 1918 or later PowerPlus.
        You got it Eric - Erwin "Canon Ball" Baker it is. Wow maybe I missed in Shaky Jake's commentary of the member build story of his Indian Power Plus the significance. I will ask him that question.

Mike Love

Comment

• Bike all set up for winter riding. And a nice hat!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - October 31, 2020

This from the National Capital Motorcycle Club's history. It includes an appearance by Washington DC Harley - Davidson Dealer Red House on the far right. Red was a motorcycle racer, hill climber and and all around anything motorcycle guy. I believe his first dealership in DC was for Indian Motorcycles.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 9.05.13 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Dick, are both of those photos in post #274 attributed to Merlin Dohrman? Along with that nice hat it appears he might have an AMA patch sewn on his coveralls. I found his obituary and it mentioned that he was a race fan and many year flagman at Beaver Dam Raceway along with other area tracks. A family we were very good friends of raced at, owned and promoted Beaver Dam Raceway for a period during the 70's-80's. I love discovering connections like that, thanks again!

Comment

• No! I don't know who owned the other bike.

I was at a motorcycle race 1968/69 at the fair grounds. I remember it because there was a bike gang there causing problems and eventually one of the gang members pulled a wheelly behind the grand stand and ran into the crowd and broke a woman's leg. Not good. But during the race a racers throttle stuck wide open coming out of turn 4 and ran the length of the front straight where the rider bailed and the bike struck a flag man who was standing on the track on the outside of turn one. Why he was standing there I don't know but I can still see the poor guy fly over a 8 foot wooden fence. What really stayed with me was seeing his boots still on the track. Another time a rider crashed in turn one and I can still picture his bike cart wheeling through the woods outside turn one and the rider was just behind it. I think both riders died. Not good.
                Last edited by pem; 10-31-2020, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 1, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 9.06.42 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Do you recognize this fellow and do you know what role he was in at the time? The photo is from 1970.

Comment

• Originally posted by badger34 View Post
                      Do you recognize this fellow and do you know what role he was in at the time? The photo is from 1970.
                      Whoever he was, he looked a lot like Smokin' Joe!

....Cotten
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-01-2020, 10:48 AM.
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• The bike in the 31 Oct photo looks like a 36 VL with those one year horn brackets and rear stand.

Comment

• More Dodge Co. photos
                          Attached Files

Comment

Do you recognize this fellow and do you know what role he was in at the time? The photo is from 1970.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30145[/ATTACH]
                            Probably the 'same fellow'' who was 'Flight Engineer' on this little plane.
                            AIHXCGXYKJFZ7KCTF7BSVMKS6Y.jpg

*M.A.D.*
                            Last edited by JoJo357; 11-02-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Yes, from post #279 that is Joe Petrali in his role as USAC/FIA timer and chief steward at Bonneville during The Blue Flame land speed record testing in 1970. In my family history my grandfather served as AMA chief checker in 1936 at the Milwaukee Mile where Petrali won the 3-mile national championship that year, and I can still remember my grandmother's face lighting up when she told me that she had been able to prepare a meal for Joe Petrali when he was a dinner guest in my grandparent's home. Joe Petrali certainly had a most interesting life & motorsport career.

Comment

Yes, from post #279 that is Joe Petrali in his role as USAC/FIA timer and chief steward at Bonneville during The Blue Flame land speed record testing in 1970. In my family history my grandfather served as AMA chief checker in 1936 at the Milwaukee Mile where Petrali won the 3-mile national championship that year, and I can still remember my grandmother's face lighting up when she told me that she had been able to prepare a meal for Joe Petrali when he was a dinner guest in my grandparent's home. Joe Petrali certainly had a most interesting life & motorsport career.
                                Great Story badger34. I wish i could have been a fly on the wall of that Meal--haha. I agree with You, Petrali had one helluva racing career & life!
                                2008-Oldest-U.S.-Motorcycle-Clubs-Garson-051.jpg
                                Car Racing 3_00078A.jpg
                                CP5KN66RCZFODDZABJ7JNVP7BE.jpg
                                joe+petrali+article-1.jpg

*M.A.D.*
                                Last edited by JoJo357; 11-03-2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X