Magazine comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazine comments

I read the technical details. There are some errors, and more "why didn't they think to include this?"
    I can e-mail the editors, but I'd like to know the members opinion of a forum specifically to comment on magazine articles?
    The Linkert Book

In my opinion:
    "Constructive criticism" aimed at making a better improved product should not be off limits.

Comment

It would be a lot more productive, Folks,...

If somebody would just proofread them before publishing.

.....Cotten

AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have read somethings that I would ask about,like machining your harley cases to fit the flywheel thrust washers that you have on hand.
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
          I have read somethings that I would ask about,like machining your harley cases to fit the flywheel thrust washers that you have on hand.
          Tom
          Since I have written no articles for the magazine, Tom,..

You confuse me!

(I have however, helped a magazine author with proofreading and review, but it was about carburetors of course.)

....Cotten
          PS: I may certainly have thrustwashers on hand (and they are 'available'!), but its been two decades since I messed with motors, and just as long since they saw daylight.

All of my motor, transmission, and Indian inventory has stratified dust, and looking for an entrepreneur to take it away, Folks!.
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-28-2021, 01:41 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Dear All, for the two articles I've written for the magazine recently - Art Deco Harleys, and Four Cylinder Bikes to 1960 - editor Bill Wood has always sent me a galley proof for corrections. I don't like typos and the magazine is good at catching these. Any remaining factual errors are mine and readers are welcome to put me right. For instance in the four cylinder article I said that 1959 was the last year for the Ariel Square Four, but a member contacted me to say it was 1960 and he had owned one. I corrected my copy for future reference. For Kitabel's question I would say take up factual errors with the author first, rather than debate them here and risk introducing 'wrong facts'. If the errors are more than minor, I'm sure our Editor would print a correction in the next magazine, with the agreement of the original author..

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Since I have written no articles for the magazine, Tom,..

You confuse me!

(I have however, helped a magazine author with proofreading and review, but it was about carburetors of course.)

....Cotten
              PS: I may certainly have thrustwashers on hand (and they are 'available'!), but its been two decades since I messed with motors, and just as long since they saw daylight.

All of my motor, transmission, and Indian inventory has stratified dust, and looking for an entrepreneur to take it away, Folks!.
              Sorry to confuse."your harley cases"should have been"a harley case"
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post

Sorry to confuse."your harley cases"should have been"a harley case"
                Tom
                I'm going need more clues, Tom!

I can't guess what you are referring to, as I don't remember authoring any contributions to the magazine.

(Basically, I lost interest in it some time ago... except for Herbert Wagner pieces..)

.....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

"constructive criticism", "risk introducing 'wrong facts'"
                  That's what I thought, only tell them what they want to hear.

Never mind.
                  The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

I'm going need more clues, Tom!

I can't guess what you are referring to, as I don't remember authoring any contributions to the magazine.

(Basically, I lost interest in it some time ago... except for Herbert Wagner pieces..)

.....Cotten
                    I was not refering to you,but a motor rebuild article in mag.
                    Tom

Comment

Gosh Tom,..

I suggest starting a new thread down in the engine-transmission section, and tell us what issue and article you have questions about; If the author is here, I'm certain he will elaborate.

Meanwhile Folks, proofreading isn't just typos.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

"(T)ake up factual errors with the author first, If the errors are more than minor" . . .
                        "our Editor would print a correction in the next magazine, with the agreement of the original author."

Sounds reasonable.

Comment

So, the authors will accept correction from mere mortals?
                          In my experience, that's not going to happen.
                          The Linkert Book

Comment

Kitabel,

You asked what forum members thought then seemed to get disenchanted when you didn't get an overwhelming support. I value the information you post here, and as in several of the pamphlets/ books you have written which I have purchased. But none of us know everything, and we only know what we have learned in life. The article author is only writing from his experiences. So, I would think any input would be a valued acceptance from the author and readers, if what you have to add is correct. But again, that information would also be up to the reader's scrutiny. With the knowledge you share here, why not also contribute to the magazine? I think most of us are involved on this forum and members of this club to share our knowledge and also grow from others' knowledge. My opinion.
                            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks.
                              Ever hear of "What Fits What"? Advertised as the complete comprehensive guide to swapping, exchanging etc. parts among H-D models.
                              I read a copy in 1976. Here's the results: http://victorylibrary.com/tech/WFW-c.htm
                              The Linkert Book

Comment

Working...
                              X