analyzing ebay bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• analyzing ebay bikes?

I was just wondering if criticizing ebay bikes is off the table here at the AMCA forum. I can see both side of this question. . . Pro; we learn, con, it can get mean Curious what others think.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make comments on anything outside of a '47 Chief, and that knowledge is limited, but I enjoy and have learned a lot from reading posts about bikes for sale on this site. And for the most part, I think most comments are pretty civil, and the intended "tone" of the comment doesn't always come across as intended.

As long as it's about bikes, I don't mind a smartass comment once in a while even when directed at me, although I haven't received any on this site. So far!

Comment

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post

As long as it's about bikes,
      I agree that past critiques have been mostly respectful, and intended to educate. There have also been comic openings that can't be ignored, and are fun. The bad part is, the bikes are for sale and the owners don't want to lose a sale because of internet exposure to criticism. However, a seller should be up front with all the warts, and scars they know of; but is it fair to put the bike up for public scrutiny. I had this conversation with a friend last week and thought it would be a good topic for the forum.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I think if you put your machine up for sale on the internet that respectful scrutiny is to be expected and welcomed. It does seem that there is always someone who feels they need to make inappropriate comments. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
          I think if you put your machine up for sale on the internet that respectful scrutiny is to be expected and welcomed. It does seem that there is always someone who feels they need to make inappropriate comments. Jerry
          I tried Facebook for a short while (and quit), there was a fellow who put up pictures of the Indian he had just purchased along with the statement "I'm wondering what it needs to restore it"....like a fool I replied with three or four different things that were wrong on the bike. Next thing I know some other guy jumps publicly and viciously all over me for "trashing" the other guy's bike (turns out he was the guy who sold the bike to the new owner...go figure).

It's the internet and some people can type something out that then comes off or is interpreted in a way as being inappropriate...when it really wasn't meant to be. So if someone asks specifically about something, e.g. "is that the correct speedometer" or "does that look like a reproduction fender" then I think it's good and valuable to answer. If someone asks I think it's good and valuable to offer what you know, but nothing beyond answering the question due to the possible mis-interpretation inherent on the internet!

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

eBay is full of buyers and sellers who can't be wrong. The abuse I get from trying to help is 10 X the thanks for providing better information.
            The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
              eBay is full of buyers and sellers who can't be wrong. The abuse I get from trying to help is 10 X the thanks for providing better information.
              No good deed goes unpunished, Kitabel!

I've been banned from more forums than you have.

(Maybe not, I lost count...)

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Interesting thread Eric..I'll wade in here...Many years ago the National Military Museum in Indiana was selling off some vehicles that were non American..German stuff and a very original 1943 WLC Canadian Army 45 from a museum in Holland or Belgium..Can't remember..I was hesitant but after reading a detailed assessment of the bike (that is huge in my opinion) and asking a lot of questions of which I received satisfactory answers I was the highest bidder.Couple key issues, credible seller, detailed description, ready to answer questions.The bike hadn't run in decades but as it turned out only a few issues were sorted out and it ran well.Someone in Holland or wherever looked after it well after WW2. One of my favourite bikes now but I took a risk and was lucky..Here is another factor...I was fully prepared to do a full rebuild..bonus..didn't happen..Same story on another 43 WLC with a sidecar in Oregon ( I wrote a short story on this one in the magazine) In both cases credible sellers ready to answer all my stupid questions. I drove many miles to bring them home, but they were great buys for me. Those are my only 2 ebay bike buys..Both successful and exactly what I like..Short answer some good bikes show up on ebay...but make no mistake a lot of junkers and not so nice people are out there as well..Ask questions and feel the seller out..with any luck you will have the success I've lucked out with..I think I'll go for a 45 ride right now ta ta
                Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                  Interesting thread Eric..I'll wade in here...Many years ago the National Military Museum in Indiana was selling off some vehicles that were non American..German stuff and a very original 1943 WLC Canadian Army 45 from a museum in Holland or Belgium..Can't remember..I was hesitant but after reading a detailed assessment of the bike (that is huge in my opinion) and asking a lot of questions of which I received satisfactory answers I was the highest bidder.Couple key issues, credible seller, detailed description, ready to answer questions.The bike hadn't run in decades but as it turned out only a few issues were sorted out and it ran well.Someone in Holland or wherever looked after it well after WW2. One of my favourite bikes now but I took a risk and was lucky..Here is another factor...I was fully prepared to do a full rebuild..bonus..didn't happen..Same story on another 43 WLC with a sidecar in Oregon ( I wrote a short story on this one in the magazine) In both cases credible sellers ready to answer all my stupid questions. I drove many miles to bring them home, but they were great buys for me. Those are my only 2 ebay bike buys..Both successful and exactly what I like..Short answer some good bikes show up on ebay...but make no mistake a lot of junkers and not so nice people are out there as well..Ask questions and feel the seller out..with any luck you will have the success I've lucked out with..I think I'll go for a 45 ride right now ta ta
                  The old Arab's advice complements the above. "When you go to buy a camel, look first at its owner."

Comment

Very good advice, Allan. I'm getting ready to buy a new "old" bike from a long-time friend and I don't know if I can trust my friend, my knowledge of the bike, or myself.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

I have had good luck on E Bay for the most part and I like it as a option. One thing about asking questions about a machine or parts, it can get very confusing. I have ask questions on a machine or two and got many answers from folks who sounded knowledgeable, but they were different answers. I have had to just research as best as I could and try to take in the info given :-)

Comment

About 10 years ago my wife was looking for a bike for my 60th. She sent me an Ebay link to a 68 FLH. After looking at the many and close up pics I could see it was a really good one. Claimed to have 3100 miles. I noticed also there were VERY few bidders. I placed my bid in the last seconds and beat a Frenchman for it. Sent my 500 buck deposit and flew to the location of the bike. Flights were very cheap at the time. Figured worst would be get back on the plane and I'm out about 700 bucks. Saw the bike, rode the bike, went to Allied shipping and loaded it up. Turned out to be fully documented original paint showroom perfect bike that first time out scored over 99 pts. Has about 7500 miles on it now. Got pics from the original owner after speaking to him of when he bought it.
                        I guess I got real lucky.
                        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
                        X