Yankee meet problem getting in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankee meet problem getting in!

Saturday July 27. I ride up to the gate about 2 pm from Bristol CT on my 1976 FXE with my wife aboard. The attendant, Shorty says “$5”. I said we are Yankee chapter members, it’s free for us as I’m about to pull our cards out. He mumbled something then asked someone at the tables set well behind him. He then says “OK on the admission” and that I must park my bike across the street and cannot ride my bike in…What The €¥#%! He puts purple wristbands on us and we did park outside the fair grounds!?! As we re enter on foot I approach him thinking maybe he’s been sampling local dispensary products today, what gives? I tell him my bike is 48 years old (thought he woulda known vintage) we are paid up members, as I reach for our AMCA cards, again asking “why can’t I ride in” as last year? He waves off the cards believes we are members but does not answers the parking question when I press him again. Once in I started asking random attendees if they had to have their bike in some kind of entry or competing or what to ride in ?!? We rode in last year on Sunday after the weather event.
    Nobody could understand why on my shovel I was turned away. They ought to staff the gate with someone who knows a shovel from a rake, from a doobie. Totally disgusted we hung a bit. Had a hot dog, took some pics and before we left hung out at the only shady picnic tables - big tree nearer the entrance talking with others. I don’t know if I can coax my wife to ride up to a future event after that treatment. I mistakenly thought I was attending a motorcycle event staffed by motorcycle people….? At one point late the gate was unattended and the folks we were talking to said bring it in but we split figuring to get a nice scenic loop before dark. Going home via Ma 112 to US20, Ma 8 to CT. I’ll say Mass 112 is a fantastic mc road. Ideal for my shovel to get into a rhythm with the road. We first stopped at the West End Pub in Shelburne Falls for a beer and food near Greenfield. We’ve been there a few times. Did 200 miles total Saturday, two up on secondary roads. I’ll consider my future involvement by the time renewal comes around next July. I know it’s one jerk and I treated him too politely (biting my tounge) but never again. I’ll just unload on him if we cross paths again as is my way on stupid people. Ya rub a dog’s nose it when they poop the house….I now posted my experience in the AMCA forum after the HD Shovel forum where I usually visit. I have no bridges to burn here, who cares…? I send my $, love the magazine and go to this one meet. I squeeze the event into my busy life. I envisioned the day Saturday sitting under that tree with my wife and shovel close by swapping stories and kicking tires, making new acquaintances.
    Big “OH Well”…..

I drove my pickup in day (800 miles round trip from northern Maine) I was in attendance (Friday) with absolutely no issues whatsoever ever. I do have handicap veteran tags on although no commentary was made in relationship to this, but I did show my Yankee (hard for a North Carolina boy) membership card. I was invited to drive in and park to the right of the trees you mentioned. My wristband was 1972 Ford LTD green. Sorry you had issues. I enjoyed myself although I missed Harry somehow. It is a large venue, I think next year I will bring my side by side though.
    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
    1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Perhaps you should volunteer for 'Shorty's" job next year.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Yt - I'm glad that we got to speak a few minutes ago and again, our apologies to you and the Mrs. for the mixup at the gate. You absolutely should have been able to ride in for free and park inside as we let any bike 35 years or older ride in to our meet all weekend. Not sure why that happened but Shorty is a great guy, a good friend, and he helps us every single year with the gates, cleanup, etc. We will make sure to ASK everyone what year their bike is so that this doesn't happen again. I hope you will come back next year and we can discuss more pleasant things over a beverage or two.

Comment

Surfdude reached out to me yesterday and we had a good talk, he’s very genuine and I’m looking forward to meeting him and other members. In attending the event I was keen on meeting other chapter members to get to know some new people and share experiences of the motorcycles we ride and curate. I was at my best in disbelief slack jawed behavior when my 1976 FXE was denied entry, after all I’m pretty new to this community and not out to make a negative impression. My shovel was a 2021 find in an
          old stone garage. The widow is a sweet lady who filled me in some history behind it. I assured her I was going to restore & ride it, not flip it or part it out. A complete bike minus the turn signals that was put away wet, sat far more than a dozen years, crusted over, but calling me back to the first HD I ever had. Docs in Waterbury did the bike over for me keeping it “visually correct” as my goal. Cases split and rebuilt from the crank and bare frame. Frame paint is still original, tins are repainted. 84” S&S balanced assembly, S&S S cam and of course my period S&S carb. The saddlebags are genuine Kaiser bags from 1980, he was a crazy dude with his Indian / side car rig.
          Thanks for the replies. Ride safe .
          Bruce
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Well, Rev Kaiser was a friend of mine and he was not crazy. He was the real deal.

43247092_1476563556.jpg
            Last edited by DEEBS47Chief1991; 07-30-2024, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I loved that guy. Mission Church of Bikers. I believed the state of Conn. told hime handicap people couldn't ride motorcycles in a hearing, he removed his artificial leg, place it on the table and declared he had ridden to the hearing.
              Pete Cole AMCA #14441
              1947 Indian Chief

Comment

43247092_1473452246.jpg Leather by Kaiser.jpg Reverand Kaiser Memorial.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X