Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What works and what doesn't in attracting buyers to your meet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What works and what doesn't in attracting buyers to your meet?

Hi Folks:

This is Mike Love from Chesapeake Chapter. I have been involved in helping with the Chesapeake Fall AMCA National Meet since joining the chapter in 2010 and gotten real familiar with all the functions that need to happen. My latest work has been to help manage getting vendors successfully registered. One thing that is apparent is that the vendors at our meet are not only the focus but are also our customers base. The vendors of meets are key to our success and while they are also there shopping and buying for their own needs they need more customers so they can justify their out of pocket expenses to make available their goods. We at Chesapeake have always thought we could do better to attract more people and we hear feedback from our vendors that they wished we had more shoppers at the meet. So that is our quandary, how do we get people to the meet to buy our vendor's goods when the potential customers don't realize they need to be there? We compete in the same time period with The Race of Gentlemen, and antique auto events in Carlisle and Hershey PA.

I hoped this new topic could generate current thoughts on what works to attract people and what doesn't. Obviously some of the Meets due to their long-standing tenure have built their meet and are on auto pilot with vendor space limited year to year and plenty of people traveling to the meet. Success breeds success as the saying goes. We advertise in The Antique Motorcycle, post on AMCA Forum, Facebook, Instagram, Cyclefish and Motorcycle Monthly.

I hope those with ideas and experience at bringing participants and customers will help by discussing and offering things that work and things that don't work for our antique motorcycle hobbyists.

Thanks and let the ideas flow.

Mike Love

The best I can do for now, Mike!

https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...ge4#post313554

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Tom. It must be done organic thing, people are interested or they are not.

Mike Love

Comment

What's that saying: "Ideas are like . . . everyone's got one and they all usually stink"

Now that I've lowered the 'expectation' threshold. HERE's MINE:

Consider
        Vendor Demonstrations of products of intests to our hobby:

Examples Only

Car-Rep 2K Aerosol

Hit Air Jackets and Vests for motorcycling.

Morris Magneto:
        Fairbanks Morse Style Bosch ZEV Conversion. OK'D to be used as an ignition for Cannonball.

Element Fire Extinguishers (On another site there is a lively discussion about these)

Henrob/Cobra/Detroit oxyacetylene torch.

Now some of the above good folks already advertise in the magazine and some likely have a prescence at some of
        the meets, some do not. Logistically no one can be present at all meets but if they came to one closest their base of operations then with social media (including this forum) their products would get some eyes, ears and hopefully $$$ and maybe draw more people.

Comment

CDF, on that point the Element team was at Dixon.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post

Now that I've lowered the 'expectation' threshold. HERE's MINE:

Consider
            Vendor Demonstrations of products of intests to our hobby:

Now some of the above good folks already advertise in the magazine and some likely have a prescence at some of the meets, some do not. Logistically no one can be present at all meets but if they came to one closest their base of operations then with social media (including this forum) their products would get some eyes, ears and hopefully $$$ and maybe draw more people.
            This is a really good idea PaulCDF. We have had very little of this type of vending as long as I have been involved. We used to have Old Dude come to our meet. Interesting that AMCA rules require only parts and motorcycles offered for sale must be 35 years or older. That rules out new parts and equipment, reproductions, etc. I would also like to see more of our members that do restoration work like gauges, magnetos, generators, carbs etc as demos and sales. They could end up with take away business. Another area I wanted to explore is seminars or presentations.

Thanks for triggering action in my single brain cell.

Mike Love

Comment

We haven't had them lately (since the covid thing) but for the first 15 years or so we had tech seminars at Dixon by experts on paint, parkerizing, wheel lacing, motor and transmission work, etc. Always a draw.
              DrSprocket

Comment

As mentioned, I think the timing conflict with other major events like Hershey and Carlisle could be a factor though probably to a lesser degree. Some who still work may be forced to pick one of the 3 since they are so close together. Mike do you know if shopper/foot traffic has increased, decreased, or stayed same since it was at Jefferson? The Upperco site is an excellent location and layout. Pretty much checks all the boxes for a swap meet, judged event location. The area is so big and spread out its hard to visually do a comparison to Jefferson on number of shoppers.

It is also a good possibility people are swapped and shopped out by that late time of the season and have spent their time budget going to other meets and non-motorcycle related functions. Personally I really look forward to going to Upperco every year since it started
                Jason Zerbini
                Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Thanks Mike;

As Cotten indicated folks like to be entertained. Product demos are a way to catch and keep the folks attention.
                  As much time and resources we devote to our bikes and in our garages always looking for what works. Thanks Again

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                    It is also a good possibility people are swapped and shopped out by that late time of the season and have spent their time budget going to other meets and non-motorcycle related functions. Personally I really look forward to going to Upperco every year since it started
                    Yp have some really good observations. The quoted one is one I thought about as well. We really need to find a way to actually measure how many people we have at the event so that we can have a concrete idea of performance. Possibly the dining hall is one good way to get an idea. Most people go there for something, either food, drinks a seated break or something. So getting a count there and comparing it year to year can help with a baseline. We may also send targeted marketing to people to consider a drop in to our meet even if they go to other events. Regard to the venue I agree with your observations. For us it was a plan to reduce the issues of flooding and seeming constant rain. We are really very close geographically so it should still draw the same people its just a matter of which way you turn on Hanover Pike right or left to get to either venue. 2022 we got one good day in - Friday and then we had the Nor' Easter storm so everyone left early and others didn't bother at all to come out. We have also moved back to vendor set up opportunity for Thursday so this should relieve some of the vendors' concerns and give them more time for less condensed business. Live and learn and we are always looking for ways to improve. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Mike Love

Comment

I for one have not been to the new location due to your conflict with TROG, but since that got canceled for this year, I may make the trip down from my Island. Maybe that is all you need, a few less events to compete against. I have heard nothing but good things about the location, and not too far for me. Lets see what this year brings, good luck with the event.

Comment

Originally posted by Architect View Post
                        I for one have not been to the new location due to your conflict with TROG, but since that got canceled for this year, I may make the trip down from my Island. Maybe that is all you need, a few less events to compete against. I have heard nothing but good things about the location, and not too far for me. Lets see what this year brings, good luck with the event.

Thank you and hope to see you there. Yes it's tough when there are so many simultaneous events that time of year and we need to try to reach those other groups and offer that they could visit multiple events.

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                          We haven't had them lately (since the covid thing) but for the first 15 years or so we had tech seminars at Dixon by experts on paint, parkerizing, wheel lacing, motor and transmission work, etc. Always a draw.
                          I think the tech seminars are a good idea. How did you subject matter experts? Do you pay them? Or would their presentation serve as advertisement for their business?

Mike Love

Comment

All were or are volunteers. Some our Chapter members or from other Chapters. Some had or have had businesses but most just experienced in the subject they presented. Happy to share their knowledge with like minded folks. George Hood must have given at least a half a dozen himself. Man I miss that old grouch!
                            DrSprocket

Comment

I spend all of my money on old used crap. I’d like to go to more but venders going home on Saturday at noon always kills it for me. (I’m a working guy)

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X