Davenport 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davenport 2023

Another member and I are planning a trip to Davenport for the first time. I would like to talk to anyone that has had experience with either camping or RV'ing it at the MV Fairground. We have a 13 hour drive from Dallas and I want to be prepared. PM me if you are open for a few questions. I did poke around a bit in prior history, but can't find much here. Thanks in advance! Rick

You will find little about Davenport on the AMCA site as it is no affiliated and has not been for quite some time. GTS, Davenport Chief Blackhawk.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

https://www.chiefblackhawk.org/, Folks!

See everybody there!

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks, Tom and Robbie. I understand and I had already looked there. Anything about camping/RV spots is referred to MVF, and MVF just told me no reservations without any additional information like how many spots they have. I just wanted to talk to someone that has been there to get the lowdown on how it actually works, best times to get there, etc. While I know there are other sites outside of Davenport to stay at, I'd prefer not to. I've winged it plenty of times before, but it always help to talk to someone that has had the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by rms337 View Post
          Thanks, Tom and Robbie. I understand and I had already looked there. Anything about camping/RV spots is referred to MVF, and MVF just told me no reservations without any additional information like how many spots they have. I just wanted to talk to someone that has been there to get the lowdown on how it actually works, best times to get there, etc. While I know there are other sites outside of Davenport to stay at, I'd prefer not to. I've winged it plenty of times before, but it always help to talk to someone that has had the experience.
          There is a lot of room for tents and RV's. If you get there on Thursday even the prime spots might be left. Jerry

Comment

Vendors and RVs usually line up in the East parking lot before daybreak Thursday, Rick,..

And then at six they allow them to flood in; If you come off Interstate 280 at the Locust Street exit, its about four bumpy miles East into Davenport; Just past the High School on the right, you will come to Clark Street with the edge of the fairgrounds on the right.
            IF they have re-opened the southwest entrance, there should be a 'Vendors-RVs' sign at that corner. If not, continue East to turn right into the lot entrance.

The fairground authorities are not always helpful; Club volunteers usually stand at the vendor field entrances for directions once the sun is up.

....Cotten
            PS: Even after attending for over three decades, I still think east is north until sunrise.
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-06-2023, 10:52 AM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

I'm headed out there this year. I haven't been in about 10 years. Life occurs.
              Pete Cole AMCA #14441
              1947 Indian Chief

Comment

I used to vend at Davenport, Wauseon and the J&P meets at Belleville, Il. in the '80's and early '90's. How do you handle the large amounts of cash that our old items sell for? When I used to vend, I'd get a couple hundred for '40's and '50's gas tanks. And a hundred bucks for a Knuckle front or rear head. I used to come home with a thousand or so. Just wandering because I have frames and other big dollar items that I may take to a meet in the future. How do you check large dollar amounts to see if they are not counterfeit? Also, I wouldn't like to carry thousands on my person.

Comment

Davenport is still pretty wholesome, Craig!

(But I did see the Pickers brought burly assistants.)

There are pens made for checking bills, where their ink doesn't stick right, but I always have a hard time insulting anybody using them in their face.

Anything's better than PayPal.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks Cotten! I'm still a little leery of carrying a large amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
                      Thanks Cotten! I'm still a little leery of carrying a large amount of money.
                      Should'na brought it up, Craig.

(I spend out fast, so I'm broke the whole Meet, honest.)

There's usually an ATM just north of me across the promenade, but I don't know how to use one!

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

I didn't know about the ATM. Thanks Cotten!

Comment

Just booked rooms. I'm looking forward to it. I hope that pork chop place is still in the exhibit hall!
                          Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                          1947 Indian Chief

Comment

I get landlocked and sleep in my van. I'm over by Paul Benassi.
                            AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
                              I get landlocked and sleep in my van...
                              I park Chez Toyota in my booth, Len!

(1988 classic NCC-1701-7 in background.)
                              NCC-1701-7.jpg

Landlocked for sure, but most pull out by noon Saturday anyway; Thursday morning is the feeding frenzy, Folks!

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X