Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Yankee Chapter National Meet

FROM HEBRON TO TERRYVILLE
    The Yankee Chapter of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America is Moving Their AMCA National event to Terryville, CT
    By Ted Smith & Peter MacMurray
    After 23 years the Yankee Chapter’s AMCA National Meet is relocating its annual National Meet from Hebron, CT to the Terryville, CT Lions Club Fairgrounds, located at 205 Town Hill Road in Terryville, CT. The Meet will be held on August 3rd & 4th, 2018. The meet is open to the public from 8 AM to 6 PM Friday and Saturday. General admission is $5.00 and the admission fee will be waived for anyone and their passenger bringing or riding a 35-year-old or older motorcycle. While the Friday / Saturday Swap Meet and AMCA National Judging of Antique Motorcycles are the core of this event, there will be a lot more going on. On both days there will be an exhibit of antique, vintage & classic bikes. AMCA members and all event attendees who wish to display their 25-year-or older bike(s) are welcome to exhibit them in a special area reserved for that purpose. Friday evening features a steak/chicken banquet for AMCA members and their guests with a community bonfire and Jam Session to follow.
    Saturday morning August 4th there will be Poker Run, kindly sponsored and staffed by The Haymond Law firm with additional support provided by The CMRA. Following a scenic route, the run will be of about two hours duration. The Poker Run is open to all riders with no age restrictions. Saturday afternoon will feature an exhibit and judging of Vintage & Classic motorcycles, 1993 and older, which is open to both AMCA members and non-AMCA attendees. Registered bikes will be judged by a team of celebrity judges who have generously donated their time for this event including Andy Read, a nationally recognized Concourse Judge, Ken Kaplan, founder and curator of The New England Motorcycle Museum and Jennifer Sequenzia, owner of All American Productions, a veteran support non-profit. Each of these events carries a $20.00 registration fee, with all net proceed to benefit the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. (https://www.connecticutchildrens.org/)
    Saturday morning will also feature AMCA National Judging. AMCA members wishing to have their bikes judged are strongly urged to register on line. Additionally, Saturday afternoon the Yankee Chapter will hold its legendary Field Games as riders attempt to meet skilled riding challenges aboard their veteran machines.
    Mark your calendars now for this special event. There is certain to be something of interest to all riders.

TED- Thank you and your guys very very much for all your help and all
    the hard work you and your team did to make this event possible.
    Especially the gentleman at check-in who helped me change my spot around on Thursday AM.
    Plus we should never forget all the hard work Dan M. did to bring this meet back from the brink of extinction.
    We also cannot forget all the vendors who stuck it out through the lean years
    when Rhinebeck took over and the Yankees lost their National meet status.
    At one time we were probably down to less than 20 vendors at that point at Hebron.
    I think I remember hearing all 180 spots were filled this past weekend plus a few more were added
    to accommodate the overflow. Thanks again! 46EL/#4340/John P.

Comment

Terryville National Meet

John, Thank you for your kind words. I also would like to express my gratitude to the Yankee Chapter BOD members that put this meet together and the dozens of individuals that helped throughout the meet. Next year, we will try to schedule the rain to fall after everyone has headed home. Ted

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
      TED- Thank you and your guys very very much for all your help and all
      the hard work you and your team did to make this event possible.
      Especially the gentleman at check-in who helped me change my spot around on Thursday AM.
      Plus we should never forget all the hard work Dan M. did to bring this meet back from the brink of extinction.
      We also cannot forget all the vendors who stuck it out through the lean years
      when Rhinebeck took over and the Yankees lost their National meet status.
      At one time we were probably down to less than 20 vendors at that point at Hebron.
      I think I remember hearing all 180 spots were filled this past weekend plus a few more were added
      to accommodate the overflow. Thanks again! 46EL/#4340/John P.

Comment

Ted, let's put the brake on this fantasy you're having. I'm one of those vendors that stuck it out all those years. Blowing $250.00 bucks on diesel to support the club while I brought home $85.00 all weekend. Let me make it clear that I enjoy being a Yankee member. I can't be at all the events but Beanie and I do make an effort. Now let's talk about our new digs. Great place compared to Hebron. Especially the pavilion. It allows people to get together whether it is pouring or not. This is important since it rains at this meet almost as much as Jefferson. They should move that beer building alongside it. And now my complaints. It stated on the club website there was to be a vendor/staff cook out on Thursday night. This never materialized. In fact nobody on your staff that I talked to knew anything about it. The banquet was the worst piece of sh-t I ever attended. $25.00 clams a head for raw chicken, 1/2" thick burnt steak (God only knows what part of the cow it came from) and cole slaw and potato salad scooped out of BJ jugs. The dessert was nothing but left over birthday cakes from a Shoprite that just came short of saying happy Bar Mitzvah Marvin on them. This meal wasn't worth $5.00 bucks. The prices of everything else they sell is about one third higher than any other meet with a whole lot less in return.
        All in all it's a great venue with a great future but the host leave a whole lot to be desired.
        Bob Luland
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob, it’s loyal members like yourself that preserve our meets. Your description of the banquet is painfully accurate. Many people have made disparaging comments about the banquet. Simply stated the meal we were served barely resembled what was ordered. Before we left Terryville, your BOD addressed this and several other issues with the Lions club. The vendor/staff banquet website listing was a cut and paste error that we completely missed and failed to remove before the meet. Thanks to your input and input from others each Terryville meet will be better than the previous meet. Ted

Comment

Ted,After setting up my vending spots (c-35 c-36) on thursday in the extreme HEAT and puting up my 4 ezups with extra tie downs prepairing for severe weather you stopped that evening and told me that i was over the orange line (By 1ft) and would have to move them back.YOU said that if you let me do that others would follow.I did what you asked without a problem.Three spots up from me were over the orange line (by 5ft) either never asked to move or would'nt.I have vended at all the east coast meets for manny years and have never had a problem with anyone or anything.I also have to agree with BOB the food was not good.Great place hope we can iron things out for thr future.

Comment

If you had reported this to me I would have acted accordingly.

Originally posted by gurka View Post
              Ted,After setting up my vending spots (c-35 c-36) on thursday in the extreme HEAT and puting up my 4 ezups with extra tie downs prepairing for severe weather you stopped that evening and told me that i was over the orange line (By 1ft) and would have to move them back.YOU said that if you let me do that others would follow.I did what you asked without a problem.Three spots up from me were over the orange line (by 5ft) either never asked to move or would'nt.I have vended at all the east coast meets for manny years and have never had a problem with anyone or anything.I also have to agree with BOB the food was not good.Great place hope we can iron things out for thr future.

Comment

Originally posted by gurka View Post
                ..........WOW Ted? 5 feet over the line and you missed that? And is is not like you were extremely busy walking a 10 mile 95 degree forced march all weekend finding 200+ spots for vendors all by yourself? I know at least one guy who attends this meet who is from Salem Mass. With his help maybe next year we can have a Vendor Witch Hunt and burn somebody at the stake in true Yankee fashion for breaking the rules as far as boundaries go? Take it up with the board and post the info on the time and date on the website and we'll see you next year! 46EL.

Comment

Thanks to the Yankee Chapter for a great meet. The weather on Thursday and Friday was bearable, too bad the weather gods did not smile on us for Saturday. This is a great spot and a nice facility, easy to get to. I never have a lot to vend but I thought the spots were more than generous in size. Lots of nice people to talk to, that is half of the fun of attending an AMCA meet. Thanks to Al and everyone else who helped me unloading and loading my bike. Lots and lots of nice roads to ride. My girlfriend and I had a terrific time. See you next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                    The banquet was the worst piece of sh-t I ever attended. $25.00 clams a head for raw chicken, 1/2" thick burnt steak (God only knows what part of the cow it came from) and cole slaw and potato salad scooped out of BJ jugs. The dessert was nothing but left over birthday cakes from a Shoprite that just came short of saying happy Bar Mitzvah Marvin on them. This meal wasn't worth $5.00 bucks. The prices of everything else they sell is about one third higher than any other meet with a whole lot less in return.
                    Bob Luland
                    BOB- You missed the boat. You should have been a restaurant critic.
                    And FYI... The closer in CT you get to NY everything from food to Real Estate the prices only go up. Jp

Comment

Working...
                    X