Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Knuth Company

unnamed.jpg 20240107_115649.jpg
    I drove through Milwaukee today. The B/W is from the HD Museum online - I took the color photo. Bill Knuth's dealership on Fond du Lac Ave.

0C514D7F-0324-407A-9DF7-C8285D79C692_4_5005_c.jpeg

M.A.D.*

Comment

edit .. The initial street number of the Knuth Fond du Lac Ave location was 2525. After further review I have found that in the early 1930's Milwaukee implemented major street name and number changes. By reviewing The City of Milwaukee's Address Conversion Book and period Knuth Cycle Co advertising I've come to the conclusion that in early 1933 the 2525 street number was changed to the current 2491 number while the location remained the same. So what is shown above in this post is the original and one & only location of the Knuth Cycle Co Fond du Lac Ave dealership.
      Last edited by badger34; 01-21-2024, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I did not, nor know that it even existed. I love the knowledge on this site. Would you like me to get it for you and post it ?

Comment

Other Milwaukee Knuth Cycle Co locations...

Mitchell St. - for a period of a few years circa 1928-1933 Bill Knuth had a dealership location on West Mitchell Street. The initial street number was advertised as 661, later advertised as 663-665 and circa 1930 was renumbered from 665 to 1415. In 1933 this location was advertised as 1417. The original building no longer exists, a Food Mart currently occupies this location.

National Ave. - for a couple of years circa 1934-1935 Bill Knuth had a location at 2629 West National Avenue. The original building no longer exists and a Walgreens currently occupies this location.

Muskego Ave. - opening circa 1936 Knuth Cycle Co operated at 1753 South Muskego Avenue. This location was maintained throughout the remaining Knuth Co years known as the South Side Store. This building remains and is currently the location of a second hand appliance store.

Bill and George Knuth's younger brother Carl owned and operated Waukesha Harley-Davidson Company. First opening in June of 1947 at a temporary location in a garage behind a home at 1139 White Rock Ave, this home and garage still remain. In early 1948 a new store building was constructed at 1130 East Main and was operational by March of 1948. I'm unsure of how long Waukesha H-D was in operation. The 1130 E Main location is currently an empty lot.

I don't know if many are aware that Bill Knuth got his start in the motorcycle industry through his uncle's Milwaukee Indian dealership.
          Last edited by badger34; 01-21-2024, 11:34 AM.

Comment

2629 was Competition Cycle later on and I work two streets over from the Waukesha location - didn't even realize it. The older that I get, the smaller my world becomes. Thanks for the info Badger !! Have any pics ??

Comment

I don't have photos for Mitchell St, National, Ave or Waukesha.

Here are pics of the Muskego Ave South Side Store...

Knuth south1.jpg

Knuth south2.jpg

Last edited by badger34; 01-22-2024, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Badger,
                Look at 914 e Moreland. That building has the "look". I wonder if Waukesha changed their road names and numbers.

Comment

Carl Knuth's 1130 E Main Waukesha dealership was advertised at the corner of Main and Perkins. Google maps still shows the 1130 address number at the vacant corner lot of Main and Perkins. Looking at vintage aerial photos it appears the building was demolished sometime between 1976-1980. Following is a 1955 aerial photo.

1955 1130 E Main.jpg

Comment

Badger,
                    Here is the Waukesha Directory for 1947 and 1950. I can find numerous classified ads taken out by Carl looking for garage storage space in Waukesha as well as ads looking to take old storage structures down. 20240128_143448.jpg 20240128_142814.jpg 20240128_142806.jpg 20240128_143440.jpg If this building was at that location, it sure wasn't long. Also odd is no mention or advertising in the Waukesha Directory. I'll have to poke around more at the microfiche section.

Comment

edited...

I also find it interesting that Waukesha H-D Co does not appear in the 1950 city directory.

Most Carl Knuth Waukesha H-D Co info I have comes from the Waukesha Daily Freeman newspaper. A Dec 1947 clipping mentions a permit being granted to start construction of a new masonry building at 1130 E Main but states that Carl is already operating a cycle shop at this location out of a former garage. A March 26th 1948 ad shows Carl and Waukesha H-D Co is in operation at 1130 E Main and mentions the location is at the corner of Main and Perkins. The building that is shown in the 1955 aerial photo that I posted above still appears in a 1976 aerial photo but in a 1980 aerial photo the building is no longer there. Also interesting is that Carl Knuth in 1944 became an employee of Kiekhaefer Aeromarine and was in their employment for over 30 years, but in the 1950 census Carl reports as retail manager of a motorcycle shop. So Waukesha H-D Co must have been a second venture? There's more work to do on this, and it's good to see your interest & efforts on Milwaukee mc history.
                      Last edited by badger34; 02-08-2024, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X