No announcement yet.

Armando Magri Autobiography - "Then and Now"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK Rich, next up for a history lesson. Sprouts Elder, what can you tell us? Hopefully this isn't getting too far away from the Magri story, but I think Armando inherited all these pics from Murray and I'm guessing all these guys were who Armando listened to as he was coming up.

Sprouts Elder at a hillclimb, 1920s.jpg
    Sprouts Elder at a hillclimb

Sprouts Elder broadsliding on a speedway bike.jpg Sprouts Elder broadsliding on a speedway bike

Sprouts Elder, 1920s.jpg
    Sprouts Elder

Sprouts Elder on a Douglas, 1934.jpg Sprouts Elder on a Douglas, 1934

Sprouts Elder at a flat track race in Chico, California, 1930s, photo by Ernie Magri.jpg
    And this one isn't from the Murray collection, but rather was taken by Armando's brother Ernie at a race in Chico, California. So Sprouts must have been an influence on Armando.
    Eric Olson
    Membership #18488

Comment

• Sprouts was from Bakersfield, CA. He was one of the first in this country to put a foot down and broadslide the corners. He was a great Speedway and flat track racer, and hillclimber. When he retired he became a California Highway patrol officer. When he retired from the force and his wife's untimely death he suffered from depression and took his own life. He was really well,thought of speedway racing in England and "down under". He rode at Hughes Stadium in the thirties which was the height of his racing career. He and Armando were great friends as Frank J.Murray H-D sponsored and promoted the speedway racing at Hughes Stadium in the thirties where Armando was employed.
      DrSprocket

Comment

• May need a correction. I'd have to check my notes in the basement it could have been Fresno just up the road from Bakersfield. I know at one time he was sponsored by Wilson H-D in Fresno. I'm getting long in the tooth you know.
        DrSprocket

Comment

• I've done a deep dive into Lloyd Sprouts Elder but haven't fully finished my files on him, to say he lived an interesting life would be a gross understatement. He did hail from Fresno where after his racing days he hired into the highway patrol as a motorcycle officer. Three short months later he was involved in a traffic accident that nearly ended his life and led to a lengthy recovery, a couple of newspapers had actually reported him as dead. Later in life he was badly injured twice more, he was struck by an automobile while crossing an intersection on foot suffering head & neck injury and later fell from a horse re-injuring his neck and suffering another broken leg. It's reported that he never fully recovered from these injuries and lived with pain, near the end of his life he required caregiver nursing support. He also had interesting financial troubles, seems he had invested in agriculture and made the press when illegal dealings brought the attention of the US Government and a substantial tax lien. His car was taken and auctioned and he later penned a letter to President Truman in an effort to save his home from the same fate. He at one time had even developed a hay bale stacking machine that made the papers in an effort to promote his contraption. In auto racing circles he and his son Edgar got involved in midget car ownership, racing & performance parts. They got involved with Dale Drake on the water cooled knucklehead engines and Spouts went to Milwaukee in an attempt to get Harley-Davidson directly involved with production. Sprouts ended his life at the early age of 54, his housekeeper and nurse finding him in his automobile dead by carbon monoxide poisoning.
          Last edited by badger34; 02-01-2024, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Badger do a deep dive on his racing history. Not nearly as depressing.
            DrSprocket

Comment

• Here's a few more speedway photos from when Frank Murray was sponsoring the Friday night races in Sacramento.

Frank Murray and Australian speedway stars, 1937.jpg Frank Murray and Australian speedway stars, 1937

Press photo for the Friday night speedway races at Sacramento Stadium, promoted by Frank and Gladys Murray. Dick Ince on the left.jpg Press photo for the Friday night speedway races at Sacramento Stadium, promoted by Frank and Gladys Murray. Dick Ince on the left

Speedway racers lined up at Sacramento Stadium for the Friday night races, 1930s..jpg Speedway racers lined up at Sacramento Stadium for the Friday night races

Speedway racers Jack Milne and Wilber Lamoreaux, mid 1930s.jpg Speedway racers Jack Milne and Wilber Lamoreaux

Wildman Bill Rogers racing speedway in his street clothes.jpg
              Wildman Bill Rogers racing speedway in his street clothes
              Eric Olson
              Membership #18488

Comment

• Speedway racer Ed Hinkle, 1930s.jpg
                Speedway racer Ed Hinkle

Speedway racer Ed Hinckle crashing in a speedway race at Sacramento (now Hughes) Stadium, 1930s..jpg
                Ed Hinckle crashing in a speedway race at Sacramento Stadium
                Eric Olson
                Membership #18488

Comment

• Jack and his brother Cordy Milne, "Lammy" Lamoreaux plus Sam Arena went to England several times in the thirties. Jack won the International title in 1938. The first time for a Yank. It didn't happen again till in the early 80's. Lammy and the Milne's owned a motorcycle shop on Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena in the forties and fifties. John Shaefer our first Fort Sutter Chapter president worked for them. Right around the corner was Max Bubeck and his brother's saw sharpening business. John went to school with Max and John at the time was in the LA 45 club with Paul Bigsby Al Crocker's pattern maker and Whammy bar inventor.
                  DrSprocket

Comment

• Originally posted by RichO View Post
                    Badger do a deep dive on his racing history. Not nearly as depressing.
                    Sorry to bum you out. Life isn't always race wins, checkered flags & trophies you know, there's the occasional DNF thrown in too. Sure I have info on Sprouts race career but there's a lot of that info to be found on the web, I like to delve deeper into a person's life story and thought other's might appreciate some info that's not so commonly known.

Comment

• Thank God those California guys dived into the speedway scene way back then. As always, some damn fine worldwide competitors making the USA a major force within the framework of a huge outside involvement. I hope California realizes how fortunate they are for having promoters like the Oxley Family. Harry has been keeping it together before 1969. And since Harry retired, his son, 'Rad' Brad has had the reins.
                      Scroll down to a great
                      article on the Milne brothers & some of the colorful speedway character of the day. Very good 'Smokin' Joe Petrali article at the end also.
                      Enjoy, and Thank You Eric for those fine sPeEdWaY pictures, it made my day! I appreciate your effort Badger,T.Y..

Last edited by JoJo357; 02-02-2024, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• JoJo we here at the Fort Sutter Chapter and the Dixon meet put on a great displayt this past June about speedway here in Northern California. I made up a large display board sealed in plastic with many programs and news articls and such from the 30's to the early 60's featuring Frank Murray, the Milnes, Lammy, Sam Arena, and our own Lenny Miller and his last raced Jawa with a Weslake in it which belongs to the Chapter. We are trying to educate our fellow citizens about speedway racing history in this area, We still have races just up the road during summer called "Fast Friday's" in Auburn. South vs North, some vintage nites, etc.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

• Bless You boys for accomplishing this achievement Rich. I realize there are many who have faithfully kept the torch lit, whether it be Northern or Southern California. Keeping the wealthy history alive in the USA is important, so it doesn't begin to slip out of sight. Over the times i visited California, one of my first priorities was to hit those speedway tracks, and man was it a GAS! Is Lenny Miller hopefully still kickin'? I don't remember if you informed otherwise, Rich. I wish i would have taken you guys up on Lenny's collection, but it was about 3 weeks after Howie bought it that i found a willing partner to purchase that goldmine. Oh well. When i visited Fast Friday's, Dave Joiner was the promoter, is he still doing it?
                          A Huge Thank You for your efforts at the Fort Sutter Chapter. Keep it up Rich~ a shame i couldn't be a part of it.
                          Take care RichO.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

• Unfortunately Arvil Leonard Miller passed just over a year ago. Missed everyday! If you want to meet him go to youtube and Todd's Hunting Harleys videos and the one labeled 1926 JD, It's Uncle Lenny getting ready for his last national road run in 2013 at White Pass Very cool. Also has ton's of cool photos of his original paint JD as a side
                            DrSprocket

Comment

• Originally posted by RichO View Post
                              Unfortunately Arvil Leonard Miller passed just over a year ago. Missed everyday! If you want to meet him go to youtube and Todd's Hunting Harleys videos and the one labeled 1926 JD, It's Uncle Lenny getting ready for his last national road run in 2013 at White Pass Very cool. Also has ton's of cool photos of his original paint JD as a side
                              Thanks for the tip Rich, don't think I've seen that one before. I'll have to check it out. Glad I got to meet Uncle Lenny before he passed.
                              Eric Olson
                              Membership #18488

Comment

• Here's a few pictures of Gladys Murray, Frank Murray's wife. She was clearly a motorcycle enthusiast as well, not just a wife who puts up with her husbands hobby. Definitely a keeper!

Gladys Chance married.jpg
                                Gladys Chance (Maiden name) before she married Frank

Gladys Murray, 1910s. Here on a Cleveland, in 1919 she and her husband Frank would become Sacramento's first Harley-Davidson dealers..jpg
                                Gladys Murray on a Cleveland, 1910's

GLADYS~3.JPG
                                Another of Gladys on the Cleveland

The Fabulous Chance sisters.jpg
                                Gladys and her sister Irene before they were married. They both helped form the Sacramento Cyclettes, a sister club to the Capital City Motorcycle Club.

Gladys Murray and her sister Irene Kaminsky, Near Sacramento. Photo by Frank Murray..jpg
                                Gladys Murray and her sister Irene Kaminsky, Near Sacramento. Photo by Frank Murray.

Eric Olson
                                Membership #18488

Comment

Working...
                                X