1949 Indian Vertical Ad Rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Indian Vertical Ad Rider

I am trying to find out who the man is in this old, Indian vertical motorcycle ad from 1949. The image appears in Jerry Hatfield's Indian Restoration Guide on page 168.

-JR Indian Ad for Verticals.jpg

Just a guess Max Bubeck????
    In The New Indian Motorcycle Restoration Guide by Hatfield same? rider appear on page 236 at the pumps.
    I am guessing again that "Hill/Bentley" is a photograph/ad agency? credit.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
      Just a guess Max Bubeck????
      In The New Indian Motorcycle Restoration Guide by Hatfield same? rider appear on page 236 at the pumps.
      I am guessing again that "Hill/Bentley" is a photograph/ad agency? credit.
      T'aint Max!

Bubeck.jpg

Well,... maybe...

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yeah . . . reviewing pictures of Max Bubeck on-line; Max appears shorter and more wiry than the rider in figure 243 or the rider on un-numbered uncredited photo on page 236.
        This picture (pg 236) does not appear on page 236 in the first edition of Hatfields Restoration Guide.
        Any-way here is a picture of "Pseudo Max" found Hatfields' 2nd Edition page 236:
        “Pseudo Max”.JPG
        Attached Files
        Last edited by PaulCDF; 07-17-2022, 02:26 PM.

Comment

It could stlll be Max, Folks;

White people all look alike to me.

....Cotten
          zzreal Indians.jpg
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-17-2022, 06:35 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

The reason I asked is because I thought the man strongly resembled my father.
            We lost him to cancer in 2012. No one in the family we knew of has ever been an Indian motorcycle owner or worked in ads or anything.
            A long time ago we had part of the family that moved to Oklahoma and California, so I guess it is possible.
            -JR JH Robinson.jpg
            Last edited by JTR249; 06-01-2023, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Not a bad thing when someone or something reminds us of a loved one.
              Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by JTR249 View Post
                The reason I asked is because I thought the man strongly resembled my father....
                And a little like my father as well, JR!

JAC1.jpg
                (With Laura White, somewhere near Seattle.)

He passed recently.

.....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Cotten. I thought of him when I saw the photo and wondered if we had relatives who could have possibly been in an ad.
                  That's a cool photo of your dad and a knucklehead. I just received two more of Hatfield's HD books. I have never looked at the books on Harleys until now.
                  Thanks to you too, Paul. Because of a serious motorcycle accident involving neighbors and relatives when I was young, dad never owned a motorcycle of any kind. Just a few tractors.
                  I did own a carburetor from something other than an early Indian that said Indian on the side. I never knew what it went on and later traded it or sold it to someone.
                  -JR

Comment

The fellow on the far right in my pic #5...

Same nose, I swear.

(Just weathered a bit...)

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-18-2022, 09:31 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Great picture of your dad, a pretty lady, and a fine bike Tom. Condolences on your dad's passing. Thanks for sharing.
                      Dave

Comment

We do have Native American back through the generations. You see the same resemblances in other family members from before my dad; his grandma and grandpa, his uncle.
                        I did the Ancestry DNA thing and it only told me what I already knew. Most of their information was traced to Scotland and England.
                        -JR

Comment

All I know is I was lied to, JR!

My father always talked like this...
                          KKK3.jpg

But I was raised by ladies that looked like this...
                          stringfield1.jpg
                          (The immortal Bessie Stringfield)

A cousin told me we had Ashkenazi blood, and the 'H' in Cohen was split to two 'T's to hide it.

Oi.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

I have heard of things like that. On one of the oldest tombstones in our family history they left out the first N of Robinson, our last name. Nothing was ever really said about why that happened and so for our knowledge, all we could go on was questionable. the name is also like that in earlier recorded generations from Rutland, Ohio to Bull Hill Cemetery in PA, back to Chestnut Ridge, PA and down to Sassafras Parish in Maryland, the origin of American generations in the late 1600s.
                            Early photos of dad hunting on the homeplace look like he has an afro. He is dark skinned like grandma Cora who always smoked a corn-cob pipe. In later photos when he hunted and would pose with game I always thought he looked somewhat Italian. One of our oldest relatives was married to a woman who was part Cherokee. Now that you mention it, those attitudes like your first photo were always in the other parts of family and never in our home. Mom always had home interior pictures that were spiritual and the children in them were dark-skinned, like him. My great uncle Jim would always visit and would give the kids in the family all his spare change in a big glass jar. We really thought we had something when he did that because he would mix in fifty-cent pieces, which we rarely ever saw and he would also give us money clips, a harmonica once, stuff like that. He always looked Italian as well, I thought, maybe Melungeon, though I don't know if they ever proved that particular group to be a real group at all. When he died in the 1980s dad found 12 grand in the glove compartment of his car.
                            I love the photo of Bessie.
                            -JR

Comment

My wife was raised to think she had Cherokee blood, JR,....

But she turned out to be a Pocahontas.

There's phenotypes and then there's genotypes, but after meeting a doppelganger of a deutche buddy, yet born in India, I decided they had little to do with each other.

There's more of Bessie in the Vintage pics o' the Day thread, plus she is a Hall o' Famer: http://hof.motorcyclemuseum.org/hall...px?RacerID=277
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-19-2022, 01:57 PM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X