Harley saddlebags ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley saddlebags ID

Hello Harley experts, looking for some information. Didn’t know whether to put this here in accessories or in “Harley other”. Going through some of my fathers stuff and I found a couple sets of saddlebags. This set has the Harley logo on it so I’m guessing they are factory, but I am wondering what vintage.

BE0E176D-3117-4798-A783-789A8AF42225.jpeg11CC9205-F62C-4886-8BAE-74AC754529DE.jpeg

They are quite crusty, even petrified. The shields on them have an eagle like the presidential seal in what looks like a cop badge that looks military, so are these from after the war? Were they decoration added on by a veteran?

I gave the one bag a cleaning in cold water with a little hand soap and a soft toothbrush. This softened up the leather a lot, so I put a cardboard box and a bunch of paper inside to try to hold its shape. Then I gave it a going over with Lexol leather cleaner and again with Lexol leather conditioner. Hopefully it’ll make the leather a little more pliable.

EA5FC7F5-A853-478F-BDDD-3C1CA5E813C3.jpeg

It certainly is an improvement. I’ll give it one or two more treatments with the conditioner. Here it is compared to the other bag that I haven’t touched yet

514554A5-FEEB-4BFF-AFD6-B23914B5CC34.jpeg

That bag has more issues then the first, the biggest is the mice liked it more…

70426582-A4BD-43F7-BBE5-70FA61B98FCF.jpeg

So can someone ID these bags and tell me if they are pre or post war? We’re the shields added by a veteran? Do they signify police bags? Any info will help.

Thanks, Joe

I think prewar about 1941-'42 but a little different than the ones mentioned in Palmers books.Just my guess.

Comment

41-42 only on the deluxe sport solo group with a whole bunch of spots added.
      http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Thank you sirs for the info.

Joe

Comment

Working...
        X