Phony Collectibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phony Collectibles

If you are a new collector of vintage motorcycle memorabilia don't fall for this phony junk! More and more of this kind of stuff is appearing on eBay. Be careful!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28459095888...a2c4%7Ciid%3A1
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
    If you are a new collector of vintage motorcycle memorabilia don't fall for this phony junk! More and more of this kind of stuff is appearing on eBay. Be careful!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28459095888...a2c4%7Ciid%3A1
    I know you know your stuff, but for us uninformed, what was your tip-off it is fake? It does look too nice to be old.
    AMCA #41287
    1971 Sprint SS350 project
    1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
    1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Wow...$500? Is that a normal going price for an authentic pin, or too cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by joe fxs fxr View Post

I know you know your stuff, but for us uninformed, what was your tip-off it is fake? It does look too nice to be old.
        There are a variety of clues, however the major one is that H-D never offered a 300,000 mile pin in their program. (modern stuff doesn't count, we are talking 1950s here), the finishes are too bright, the casting mark on it is something never seen, the pin back attachment,etc. There is a lot of fake stuff out there with more all the time. The seller may not even be aware of it.
        As to the price that stuff is all over the board. Some 100,00 mile first version mileage club pins have gone that high. It depends on who is buying and how badly they want something.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Just curious, Robbie; could anyone buy a mileage pin in the day from a dealer, or did you have to be a legitimate owner with dealer verification to get a mileage pin?
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            Just curious, Robbie; could anyone buy a mileage pin in the day from a dealer, or did you have to be a legitimate owner with dealer verification to get a mileage pin?
            "Vintage" and "authentic" are subjective, Folks!

Did mileage pins even exist?

Somebody put a lot of time, trouble, and effort into fantasy pieces?

Good for them.

:....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              The "Mileage Club" required a signed form submitted from the dealer at which point the factory sent out a membership card along with the appropriate pin, either a 25, 50 , or 100 thousand mile version. It began in the early '50s and there were several variations of the pins produced for H-D.

DCP_4751.JPG
              Last edited by Rubone; 01-03-2022, 11:02 AM.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes, Tom, they did exist. Back in the seventies I got one from Harley. You just had to tell them what you rode and how many miles. They took your word for it because Harley riders are honest. Right? Mine has the 60's-70's logo at the top and below that is "50,000 Mile Club" over a red background. Below that is a 65 to 67 Elecrtra=Glide. Now here's the funny (?) part. They must have made the casting from a reverse negative picture because the bike is shown from the right side but you can make out the mousetrap, oil tank, coil and primary cover. Plus it has bubble bags! Would these mistakes make it more collectable/valuable?
                Dave

Comment

Great Dave!

Now please tell us what's wrong with the fleabay jewels.

Are they too good?

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

There are a variety of clues, however the major one is that H-D never offered a 300,000 mile pin in their program. (modern stuff doesn't count, we are talking 1950s here), the finishes are too bright, the casting mark on it is something never seen, the pin back attachment,etc. There is a lot of fake stuff out there with more all the time. The seller may not even be aware of it.
                    As to the price that stuff is all over the board. Some 100,00 mile first version mileage club pins have gone that high. It depends on who is buying and how badly they want something.
                    I'll stack on this, too... the typeface in "Harley-Davidson" is incorrect and the thickness varies wildly... most genuine H-D stuff is way nicer than that; Harley didn't crank out crap.

The logo is huge, too. The only vintage ones I've seen were made by Leavens Pin Co. out of Mass. They're out of business now, but their maker's mark is tiny... like I need a loupe to see them on any pin of theirs I have owned.

To Cotten's point, it also looks too nice. A fifty-year old pin does not shine that way; it should be a bit tarnished, even if kept in a dry environment.

I have no idea what one of those is worth, but $500 feels expensive to me, even if it WAS real. I have a 50th pin and a Harley factory visitor pin like Robbie has in his glass case there, and while they were not cheap, they sure weren't $500...

—L.

Comment

From Andy Verrone's Santa Monica Harley-Davidson. 20220116_181709.jpg
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Ebay to begin authenticating trading cards sold for $750 or more in the U.S.

Market Watch
                        Jan. 25, 2022, 08:16 AM
                        Ebay Inc. said Tuesday that it is expanding its "Authenticity Guarantee" to trading cards.
                        The e-commerce site will start with trading cards sold for $750 or more by mid-2022, and will
                        extend the guarantee to those sold for $250 or more after that. The service also includes handbags
                        sold for $500 or more, watches sold for $2,000 or more, and sneakers sold for $100 or more.
                        Trading cards are one of eBay's top selling categories, with $2 billion in transactions for the first
                        half of 2021. Cards put through the authentication process will receive a unique QR code to affirm its
                        resale value. Ebay stock is up 4.2% over the past year while the S&P 500 index has gained 14.4% for
                        the period.

Source:
                        https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/ebay-to-begin-authenticating-trading-cards-sold-for-$750-or-more-in-the-u-s--10959432#:~:text=Ebay%20Inc.%20said%20Tuesday%20th at%20it%20is%20expanding,those%20sold%20for%20%242 50%20or%20more%20after%20that.

Maybe SOMEDAY they will extend this practice to Motorcycle Collectibles (Might be a niche role for an advisor).

Comment

How about these I have my doubts, but not educated panhead pins.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by pan620 View Post
                            How about these I have my doubts, but not educated panhead pins.jpg
                            Fantasy...that pin was never offered in a hatpin/stickpin configuration.
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks for the education

Comment

Working...
                              X