Any info regarding Harley Big Twin enclosed rear chain guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info regarding Harley Big Twin enclosed rear chain guard

I just got this and am currently removing layers of petrified protective greasy crud. I believe the outer is Superior but I'm not sure about the inner. They appear to go together and fit up pretty well however I'm not sure how they were attached together. The inner side as can be seen has a lip and fits nicely into the outer, The lip has 6 holes in it and are all tapped 8-32 and do not appear to be home made. There is also no indication that any threaded ears were removed from the back to line up with the screw holes on the outer like on a primary case. Also the master link/lube door on the rear radius has gone missing along with the little bracket on the front that goes to the primary case. I think those can be easily made up. Any pictures or first hand knowledge regarding fitment, etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks, John
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

They are "interesting " accessories but generally a POS. They don't work well with modern tire profiles or modern chains Not enough room. Earfly ones don't have the access panel. They have several small brackets to hold them in place. If you are planning to ride your bike with any regularity, hang it on the wall...
    Last edited by Rubone; 02-27-2021, 07:07 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      They are "interesting " accessories but generally a POS. They don't work well with modern tire profiles or modern chains Not enough room. Earfly ones don't have the access panel. They have several small brackets to hold them in place. If you are planning to ride your bike with any regularity, hang it on the wall...
      I don't understand, Robbie!

Low profile tires would never suit a rigid in the first place, chainguard or not. If a "modern' chain is an O-ring to keep the mess off the tire, then it would be redundant with an enclosed chain anyway.

You just think they are ugly.

CHANCOVR.jpg

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-27-2021, 09:02 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Hack View Post
        I just got this and am currently removing layers of petrified protective greasy crud. I believe the outer is Superior but I'm not sure about the inner. They appear to go together and fit up pretty well however I'm not sure how they were attached together. The inner side as can be seen has a lip and fits nicely into the outer, The lip has 6 holes in it and are all tapped 8-32 and do not appear to be home made. There is also no indication that any threaded ears were removed from the back to line up with the screw holes on the outer like on a primary case. Also the master link/lube door on the rear radius has gone missing along with the little bracket on the front that goes to the primary case. I think those can be easily made up. Any pictures or first hand knowledge regarding fitment, etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks, John
        Yes John,..

8-32 is what I found, and there is no way the 'inner' and 'outer' were not produced as a mated assembly. They are equally difficult to deal with.

As my previous pic shows, clamps and attachments were often fudges. I ran it without removing the tab to nowhere, for fear it might really fit something.

...Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Yes John,..

8-32 is what I found, and there is no way the 'inner' and 'outer' were not produced as a mated assembly. They are equally difficult to deal with.

As my previous pic shows, clamps and attachments were often fudges. I ran it without removing the tab to nowhere, for fear it might really fit something.

...Cotten

Ok, so what are they for and how are the two sides of the guard attached to each other? How is the inner held in place? Those little holes line up with nothing.

Comment

On mine, John,..

The "outer" half is held at the backing plate and oiltank, but the 'inner' slips over the reinforced lip on the outer (as shown in your fourth pic), and is secured with seven or eight screws tapped into it.

Naturally, the screws cannot be too long, or they will hit the chain.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

I think you have inner and outer from 2 different versions.
              one has ears like the front chain cover where the screws insert from the left side of the bike toward the right and the other version has an overlapping seam with screws that drive in toward the chain. I may have examples of each, if I run across them in my stash I’ll post photos.
              Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by dommi7 View Post
                I think you have inner and outer from 2 different versions.
                one has ears like the front chain cover where the screws insert from the left side of the bike toward the right and the other version has an overlapping seam with screws that drive in toward the chain. I may have examples of each, if I run across them in my stash I’ll post photos.
                I've pretty much come to the same conclusion. I've run across a few left side covers over the years but bought this one because it actually had the elusive back side still with it. I'll keep looking!
                Thanks, dommi7

Comment

Mine is obviously different, Hack,..

As it doesn't have the inspection door at the rear.

I had it packed for D-port last year, so its available!

.....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Actually the front that you can buy at v twin but the.back is one from the ⁷shorter one which i have but was told it was for first swingarm in 58 although I thought they only worked on rigids. Could be a 45 but I have a complete short one . I need a pattern from the bracket that has two bolts that bolts to front cover
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thats first picture I've ever up loaded. It may be dark but its an accomplishment. Lol

Comment

Working...
                      X