Traveleer Saddlebag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveleer Saddlebag?

I just bought a 1946 Indian Chief and these bags are on the bike. I only found TWO references to them in a OLD catalogs from the 1980s-90s? that came with the bike. One is a catalog from "Chuck" Myles Indian Co. and the other one is from Indian Motorcycle Supply Inc. Are these original "Type" Indian accessories? OR were these an aftermarket saddlebag for Indian and/or Harley? Can't find anything about them. And yes, before you ask... I ordered some Pecards Leather Conditioner for them. They are kind of stiff, but still pliable but I'm not going to move them until I condition them. Also, how would I know if they are repro or original? I am guessing that original ones would be really SHOT and OLD looking by now. These just show some minimal aging...

Traveleer Saddlebag.jpg
    Jim

AMCA #6520

I believe that the subject bag is a reproduction version of the Indian Traveleer bag. If you are on Facebook or can provide me with an email address, I can provide you with catalog material and examples.
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by FCJ View Post
      I believe that the subject bag is a reproduction version of the Indian Traveleer bag. If you are on Facebook or can provide me with an email address, I can provide you with catalog material and examples.

Fletcher, I just sent you a Message.

I was thinking that they are reproductions because they look very nice. If they were originals from the 1940s I would "think" they would be "run down" more.
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

The condition of the bags is not surprising considering that the bike looks very well cared for over the years.
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
          Fletcher, I just sent you a Message. I was thinking that they are reproductions because they look very nice. If they were originals from the 1940s I would "think" they would be "run down" more.
          Have seen some really well preserved parts and accessories, but typically not bags. Seems like even most NOS stuff that old typically shows some type(s) of aging. And, I believe there are design distinctions that made it seem like the bags are more likely reproductions than they are some version or variation of the OEM bags pictured in the catalogs.
          Fletcher Clark Johnston
          AMCA #282

Comment

Have seen some really well preserved parts and accessories, but typically not bags. Seems like even most NOS stuff that old typically shows some type(s) of aging. And, I believe there are design distinctions that made it seem like the bags are more likely reproductions than they are some version or variation of the OEM bags pictured in the catalogs.
            Thanks! Even if (probably are) reproductions, I am very happy with them. Thank you for your help on these! It would be nice if I found a Indian Dealer name or something like that on/in them. I am going to use the Pecard Leather Treatment on them and that should really help out softening them up. They move, but are not very pliable right now.
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

They look great. Appear to be high quality. Probably cost a pretty penny. According to some people, original bags are catch 22. They love to have them and look at them, but can't always use them and sometimes have to spend a lot to make them usable ... and then have to worry about using them or go out any buy reproductions to avoid wear and tear on originals.
              Fletcher Clark Johnston
              AMCA #282

Comment

So who really needs a set of 'decent' REAL Traveleers, Folks?

Wall-hanging for forty years.

Askin' for a friend,..

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  So who really needs a set of 'decent' REAL Traveleers, Folks?

Wall-hanging for forty years.

Askin' for a friend,..

....Cotten
                  I'm not really interested in originals, but would it be possible if "your friend" could get a picture of them? I'd be interested in seeing them. Yes, they should be on an original paint bike.
                  Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I'm not really interested in originals, but would it be possible if "your friend" could get a picture of them? I'd be interested in seeing them. Yes, they should be on an original paint bike.
                    He's got them screwed to the walls up high, Jim!

And the asshole doesn't want me to disturb the 'patina' of decades of dust...

Still, the spot patterns are 'tighter' than yours; The lids have only a single long row of mixed spots that match the sides, while the rest are all the same size.

....Cotten
                    PS: The lids have a fold sewn into them where you have the circles of spots.
                    PPS: Note how the outer spots on the bottom angle to a point at the back.
                    PPPS: Maybe these ain't Traveleers!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-06-2020, 02:56 PM.
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

He's got them screwed to the walls up high, Jim!

And the asshole doesn't want me to disturb the 'patina' of decades of dust...

Still, the spot patterns are 'tighter' than yours; The lids have only a single long row of mixed spots that match the sides, while the rest are all the same size.

....Cotten
                      PS: The lids have a fold sewn into them where you have the circles of spots.
                      PPS: Note how the outer spots on the bottom angle to a point at the back.
                      PPPS: Maybe these ain't Traveleers!

Thanks Cotten!!

To your PPPS; Either way,... those bags definitely belong on an original bike! They do look nice.
                      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

So who really needs a set of 'decent' REAL Traveleers, Folks? ... PPPS: Maybe these ain't Traveleers!
                        Could be wrong, but I believe that your bag is an Indian Chieftain saddlebag that is missing the fringe, conchos, and latigos. Generally similar bags, but certain differences. Note, for example, what Indian referred to as the "formed cover flap" on your bag.
                        Fletcher Clark Johnston
                        AMCA #282

Comment

Here are two "ads" that were in some OLD catalogs and "stuff" that I got with my Chief. I scanned the pics in and the one circled in RED is from 1996 sold by "Indian Motorcycle Supply" in Sugar Grove IL. The one Circled in BLUE is from a different catalog from "Chuck Myles Indian Co. in Sloansville NY. I looked and I can detach my bags with WING NUTS inside the bags.

saddlebag ads.jpg
                          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Here are two "ads"
                            Thank you for sharing. Will save for my files. The bags on top look similar to your bags. Note latigo length, etc. But, haven't seen back of your bags and don't know if there is evidence of missing fringe.

Both versions of the bags look like hybrid combinations of various Indian bags (with distinctly different features from at least three (3) different models) or otherwise customized versions of Traveleer bags. Note, for example, one (1) fringed welt on top bags and two (2) fringed welts on bottom bags. To my knowledge, no version of the Traveleer bags ever had fringe on the cover welt or the bottom front welt.

Some suppliers say they do things a certain way because that is what customers expect or want. For example, maybe the suppliers in question offered the bags as pictured because the suppliers got tired of arguing with customers about whether Traveleer bags were supposed to have fringe. Or, maybe the suppliers discovered that their customers almost always wanted to customize the stock OEM design by adding some amount of fringe anyway, so the suppliers just started offering the bags as pictured.
                            Fletcher Clark Johnston
                            AMCA #282

Comment

Thank you for sharing. Will save for my files. The bags on top look similar to your bags. Note latigo length, etc. But, haven't seen back of your bags and don't know if there is evidence of missing fringe.

Both versions of the bags look like hybrid combinations of various Indian bags (with distinctly different features from at least three (3) different models) or otherwise customized versions of Traveleer bags. Note, for example, one (1) fringed welt on top bags and two (2) fringed welts on bottom bags. To my knowledge, no version of the Traveleer bags ever had fringe on the cover welt or the bottom front welt.

Some suppliers say they do things a certain way because that is what customers expect or want. For example, maybe the suppliers in question offered the bags as pictured because the suppliers got tired of arguing with customers about whether Traveleer bags were supposed to have fringe. Or, maybe the suppliers discovered that their customers almost always wanted to customize the stock OEM design by adding some amount of fringe anyway, so the suppliers just started offering the bags as pictured.
                              And of course the one is just a "drawing" of a saddlebag, so who knows how 'close' that would be to an original bag and he also says "With or Without" fringe. I personally like the fringe, but... to each their own and since mine doesn't have any fringe, I will be happy with what I have. I'll let you know what the back of my bags look like when I take them off. They have two "Wingnuts" on each bag that hold them on to the back fender along with leather straps.
                              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                              X