Atlas Conversion Shift Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas Conversion Shift Gate

I bought these at a now defunct shop in St. Louis about 25 years ago. I can't find the part that attached to the transmission lid.CIMG1436.jpgCIMG1435.jpg
    Craigimage0-002.jpg

I think Robbie Rubone corrected me on this one, Craig!

Or at least I didn't know what it was when I asked...

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

When I first put up my '40 EL I ran the early Superior twin duals down both sides in the rear (left side goes behind rear cylinder) and the shift rod runs smack into the middle of the pipe. So this shift gate and triangle piece on the transmission eliminate that issue. The one on cotton's photo on the transmission someone made. They were originally a smaller triangle ( not so tall). They flipped the dog in 1947 ( the factory) so you go run duals and because riders like to throw 4th away from their body. I prefer shifting to high towards me. The adapter shift gate fit the early tanks (pre-'47) with the '47 shift pattern and adapter made the dog reversed. Cool idea. We always called them the Mystery gate. I've seen many early gate cut and welded to later cut gates to do the same thing.
      DrSprocket

Comment

RichO; The transmission adapter on Cotten's picture looks pretty close to the one in the catalog. Could be my old eyeballs though.
        Craig

Comment

I never understood the need, I am 6'1" and my knee as very far away from the shifter on my 45 when in 3rd. But the advertisement talks about when riding two up, which I have never done. I guess when you fit up a buddy seat and bring your gal, you find yourself up on the gas tanks. Can't help you but I appreciate the information.

Comment

I don't get it either, William!

But the rounded construction probably is safer than the MOCO 'knee-slicer'.

Riding two-up usually makes the footclutch action awkward.
            That's just another reason why I always completely released the dampener so it would engage itself like an auto.

(And of course, always found neutral long before I rolled to a stop.)

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten's lever is correct, they must be as long as the shift arm on the gearbox to retain the correct throw distance. And note how it is slightly asymmetrical, that is how they were made, with sharper angles on one side. You can also see that in the catalog picture.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
              X