Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for old pre-1950 photos for book

Hi,
    Hope anyone out there with any photos of women riders from 1950 and earlier will submit them to me for my book. Book is called , "The American Motorcycle Girls 1900-1950". Will be a beautiful, coffee table, hardcover book. A photographic history of these early American women riders.

I am a 3 time Motorcycle Hall of Famer and have been great response for the book. It is due to be published March 2009.

If you have anything to submit, please do so soon. Deadline for submission is ASAP. email me at: crisnpat@earthlink.net

Thanks!
    Cris Sommer-Simmons
    "VLGirl"

Hey Chris,
    Long time no see.
    VPH-D John G.

Comment

What is your last name, John? Did you work for H-D in the 80's?

Comment

Chris.
        Yes, I worked at Villa Park in IL, John Graff
        VPH-D

Comment

Hey, how are you? Weren't you in Colorado?

Comment

Originally posted by VL Girl View Post
            Hi,
            Hope anyone out there with any photos of women riders from 1950 and earlier will submit them to me for my book. Book is called , "The American Motorcycle Girls 1900-1950". Will be a beautiful, coffee table, hardcover book. A photographic history of these early American women riders.

I am a 3 time Motorcycle Hall of Famer and have been great response for the book. It is due to be published March 2009.

If you have anything to submit, please do so soon. Deadline for submission is ASAP. email me at: crisnpat@earthlink.net

Thanks!
            Cris Sommer-Simmons
            "VLGirl"
            Wow - I want that book! I am also interested to know if your book is limited to woman riders only or also the woman in factory MC advertisement/publicity? I am intrigued often by both. My wife and daughter think me a bit odd when I show them old woman rider photos/stories as well as old woman in factory bike add type stuff. Both are very interesting to me. They juxtapose women in two very different roles of the period/s. How about the company pushes to involve women during times of stress. I.E. - I remember reading in other books where companies like HD and Indian really tried to push female ridership, but often did so only under duress to help a failing bottom line, etc.

Hopefully you have details about the cross country exploits as well??

Who's the publisher and when can we get the book? Can I get a signed copy?

Very timely and a place in history often missed by most. Congrats on a great idea.
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

John Graff...

Hi John, did you work there when Dave Sciabaras (Odie) owned it? I used to live in Lombard and back in the early 80's I would go there for parts and service. I remember Linda Jo at the parts counter too. I think it was in the mid 80's that he sold it to Gene.

Hey Cris, did you get the photos I sent you to your e-mail address?
              Bruce Keith
              AMCA #1467

Comment

Yes, I worked there from 77-82. Dave bought the place in 64, I believe. Yes, Chris, still in Colorado. Great idea for a book, why limit it to 1950? If you carry it on thru the 80s, you could include yourself an Jo. Damn women's libbers...
                VPH-D

Comment

I met Cris and Jo when we rode together on the 1988 or 1993 Ride Home frome Los Angeles to Milwaukee.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hey John,
                    Yes, we were the libbers, weren't we? lol. And we had fun too!

Book is limited to 1950 and earlier right now. Will do another later no doubt.

Hope life has been good to you.

Comment

Hi Ray,
                      Book is being published by Tim Parker Publishing. Will be out in March 2009. I will post more info on that later.

I am open to photos submitted from anyone as long as they fit the book idea. Should be privately owned and not property of H-D, Inc or I will be in trouble! lol.

Must be the real deal women rider, not the cutie pie posing on the bike. Those are nice too, just not for this book.

Yes, I have some great stuff on the women who were riding cross-country in the teens. The photos are wonderful and the book will be something very special, a real labor of love.

Comment

Originally posted by VL Girl View Post
                        Hi Ray,
                        Yes, I have some great stuff on the women who were riding cross-country in the teens. The photos are wonderful and the book will be something very special, a real labor of love.
                        Looking forward to the photos and stories!
                        Ray
                        AMCA #7140

Comment

Feel free to use anything of the Wingnuts site at I've posted dozens of woman riders photos. Help yourself.

Flathead Jedd
                          Flathead Jedd
                          Wing Nuts m/c

Comment

Sorry the site is wingnutsmotorcycleclub.blogspot.com
                            Flathead Jedd
                            Wing Nuts m/c

Comment

The American Motorcycle Girls 1900-1950

My book "The American Motorcycle Girls 1900 to 1950" is out and doing well! Getting lots of attention and great reviews. Check out Amazon.com or Borders books.
                              Will be doing seminars and books signings. First at Vintage Motorcycle Days. Sturgis, AMA Women in Motorcycling Conference in Keystone, CO.
                              Hope everyone enjoys the book! I am happy with how it came out... it looks great! 240 pages, hard cover, quality book! I am honored to tell the world about these amazing women!

#21 Nationwide for Sports books this week. Looks like we have a hit!

Comment

Working...
                              X