Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 / 1940 chief ammeter

Hi
    Wanted: Original Ammeter for my fully restored 1940 chief, looking for a 1939-1940 "CONN. TEL. AND ELECTRIC" Amp Gauge.

Bob (250) 812-4406.
    Or email rebeatty@oultook.com
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Have you looked at Jerry Greer's website. Looks like a meter.

Comment

Hi.
      Yes, but completely wrong, unfortunately. The first tell tale is the needle is far too wide.
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

It is really hard to tell (for me anyway) the width from the picture. I have what I believe is an original 1937 ammeter. Don't know if the bezels were the only difference between 1937 style and the 1938-1940's style.

Comment

Originally posted by NiteOwl View Post
          Hi.
          Yes, but completely wrong, unfortunately. The first tell tale is the needle is far too wide.
          I wonder if you mean Starklite's needle is too fat? The Greer's needle looks correct, especially if you compare it to a picture of an original on Kevin Flannigan's site :
          http://indiangauge.com/INDIAN%20TEMPLATE-1939-1940.html

...and you might reach out to Kevin and see what he's got laying around?
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

HI, unfortunately the greer one is far from correct. I have reached out to Kevin some time ago and there is nothing he has at that time. It proving to be a difficult find. BUT one day one will show up, its the waiting that is sometimes testing.
            Bob Beatty
            AMCA 19209

Comment

Originally posted by mradon2020 View Post

It is really hard to tell (for me anyway) the width from the picture. I have what I believe is an original 1937 ammeter. Don't know if the bezels were the only difference between 1937 style and the 1938-1940's style.
              hi mradon2020, Do you have a picture of yours you could share?
              Bob Beatty
              AMCA 19209

Comment

Originally posted by NiteOwl View Post
                HI, unfortunately the greer one is far from correct. I have reached out to Kevin some time ago and there is nothing he has at that time. It proving to be a difficult find. BUT one day one will show up, its the waiting that is sometimes testing.
                I am looking for an original 32-34 ammeter 10-0-10.
                I know it probably doesnt help your search but I have two 39-40 gauges.One in my 34 and one in a 35 project that I would trade for the 34 type.

Tom

Comment

According to Jerry Hatfield's Indian restoration guide, page 188 figure 285 the ammeter I have is for 1939-1940. Did you get the picture I sent to your email?

Comment

Just to apply new information that Ive just learned for anyone down the road who comes across this thread, apparently the first edition of the Hatfield book had an error and the two ammeters were switched, later versions corrected the error. I looked at the two photos and the placement of the indian script for the 39/40 gauge is at the bottom of the gauge and the 35/39 is directly under thee scale above the needle where is comes out of the housing. This is from the corrected book

20211018_114816.jpg
                    Last edited by NiteOwl; 10-18-2021, 01:59 PM.
                    Bob Beatty
                    AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
                    X