Wanted OEM spokes and early 30-59 nipples for 18 inch wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted OEM spokes and early 30-59 nipples for 18 inch wheels

I am looking for OEM 18 in wheel spokes they are 8 5/32 long measured from inside the bend to end of the threads and have 40TPI. And the early 30-59 nipples. any amount will help in this search.. Thanks, Paddy

Have you tried Buchanan Wheels & spokes?

Comment

They do not make the correct 30-59 spoke or nipple. W&W in does make the nipple. But not the spoke. I Am looking for OEM for my big twin project.

Comment

Dear Paddy, I have a couple of sets of used VL 18 inch spokes and nipples, but these have different head angles which would need adjusting for star hubs. I made new 40 tpi nipples a while back when I could still get cadmium plating done legally. These list at $3 each which I see is half the W&W price. My restored bikes always take a hit for incorrect (repro) nipples and shiny (stainless) spokes which is annoying. Life is too short to grind off the dots on the Buchanan spoke heads and then beadblast them to simulate cadmium, because you'll still get gigged for the nipples. There may be nos military 18 inch rear wheel spokes from the 45s out there, but these will likely be parkerized. I have beadblasted good original used spokes and nipples, then sprayed them with silver high temperature exhaust paint to simulate cadmium. On one good original wheel I had it beadblasted as is, then silver painted to simulate cad spokes and the optional cad rim, but the AMCA judges did not like it. Maybe there are some ideas there for you, but someone really needs to get one of the wheel companies to make say 100 sets of 40 tpi spokes and nipples in cadmium for us hard core restorers. 18" wheels is where to start.

Comment

Steve, Thanks for the offer. I have time. So I will keep searching. As far as the spoke company making them again .I agree 100%.. Somebody needs to make these. I have spoken to Buchanan and they are not going to tool up for the correct nipples..to match their stainless spokes they have now. AMCA seems not to have a problem with glass beaded spokes.
          .As you know W&W is producing the correct nipples in 40TPI....W&W will be producing the correct nipples in 32TPI with we can use on the aftermarket spokes. Bare steel and parkerized will be available around March and cadmium in April. And again $5.50. Each
          However they are not producing them in stainless.. from my understanding the spokes they produce are only for their hub and rim...
          So if you have a OEM hub and rim the best we can do is use a different aftermarket company in bare or cadmium and make a decision from there.
          . I don't really mind buzzing the B off their spokes and glass beading. As long as there is no deduction.
          . Thanks again I'll keep searching, Paddy

Comment

I needed to clarify my earlier post. W & W spokes and 30-59 nipples will fit all oem 18 in rims.
            . I have found NOS parkerized spokes and correct nipples. I glass beaded them and had them cadmium plated.
            . Correct 39-43 hubs are in paint and rebuild and waiting for rims to come back from chrome. Thanks to all for the input, Paddy

Comment

Working...
            X